Old 4th June 2004, 05:22   #1
shaneh
Major Dude

Toaster v0.5...

Not quite released yet

But heres a couple screenies to give you an idea of what will be included.

I will try get a beta out tomorrow which I'll post here. If I could get a couple people to test it and give some feedback before I post it up on Winamp thatd be great.

I think it looks pretty sweet so far. I'd like to be able to have a dynamic maximum number of lines, but will keep it maxed at four for this release.

Im also looking for some artwork to use when there is no album cover art, and for radio streams. If theres any artists or you know of any free art, give me a buzz. I was thinking of just the Winamp bolt or a music note or something. Of course it would be customizable though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg preview.jpg (66.3 KB, 2288 views)
shaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2004, 20:35   #2
XanDaMan

PLEASE

Enable us to move the toast window elsewhere. Since my taskbar is at the top of my screen, the toast always appears at the top.

Moving it would enable me to put it at the bottom liek the modern skisn put it...other wises alls well and good.
XanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2004, 14:15   #3
shaneh
Major Dude

Ok, I said Id make a beta available so here is one. It is early Alpha 0.5a1, so keep that in mind, and please read this text first.

Advanced Title Formatting

It now uses ATF, so has heaps of coolness. You have all the usual stuff (%title%, %artist%) etc, as well as the additions that are in the nxsballoon tip plugin, plus several others. Heres a list of them:

NxSBalloon tags:
%pllen%
%plpos%
%length%
%bitrate%
%channelnum%
%channels%
%srate%

NEW Toaster tags:

%rating%
A star rating

%ratingnum%
Numerical rating

%playcount%
Play count

%watitle%
The title as formatted in winamp

%status%
Currently only reports 'New Track', 'New Rating' or '' on track change, rating change or hot key respectively. In future will support 'Stopped' etc.

%dir%
returns the name of the parent directory the file resides in. Useful when there is no album info.

%ishttp%
returns "Yes" if a http stream. Useful for doing things like $if(%ishttp%,Radio-%watitle%,%title%).

You can define 4 fields on the left, and 4 fields on the right, with their font size and whether they are bold or not. You can actually use newlines (\n) to get more lines of text, but its use is not recommended as the height of the toast will not change to accommodate.

I may make the option to wrap text, scroll text, adjust width and height dynamically etc, but personnaly I dont like that, as it is distracting and difficult to read when skipping through songs quickly.

You can change the default font by setting the 'fontname' setting in Toaster.ini.

Album Covers

Album Covers.! It will now display the folder.jpg that resides in the directory of the song. You can modify the size and whether or not to display it. This is likely to have quite a few improvements to it over time, including using covers from tags, traversing up a directory looking for a folder.jpg, and allowing to not show a picture if nothing is found etc. The size of the cover will determine the height of the toast if it is bigger than the text. (useful for getting more lines using \n).

Some known bugs/unimplemented features:

Mouse actions, sync with db, screen position, disable during full screen and 'extra' features not enabled yet
Album covers are only taken from folder.jpg, displays emtpy space if folder.jpg cant be found
Rating display doesnt change while it is displayed if rating notifications are disabled
Internet streams have a length of -1
Very short .wav/other? files don't display
Apply button is always active on some property pages
'Use Playlist Font' only takes affect after a restart
Newlines in display strings can cause truncation
No preview from configuration dialog

I am aware of most bugs/non-working things, and this is quite an early alpha build so I dont expect it stand up to any stress testing. But I would be interested to see what peoples thoughts are so far, and if theres any significant bugs with just getting it to work.

I would be interested if it works on Win2k/Winamp 2.x/5.x etc.

Technical Details

Almost a complete re-write of many things. A switch to GDI+ for most things, which is a fair bit better. (I am pretty sure this should work on Win2k, but you can get the runtime from Ms anyway).
I also had to kludge up my own version of libctiny for GDI+ to work without needing damn massive LIBC. The final size is only about 30k or so, which is pretty reasonable.

Toaster 0.5a1 (ALPHA): For testing/preview only.
I will post follow up messages in this thread with later versions which you should use instead
Attached Files
File Type: zip toaster.zip (14.2 KB, 525 views)
Old 5th June 2004, 14:36   #4
skinme!
Forum King

Can you, for example, do an IF to check whether %ratingnum% = 0 and if so print "unrated" otherwise the star rating? I couldn't work out how to do that, if possible.

One other tiny, tiny yet confusing detail: In the positioning box you have "bottom left" on the right and "bottom right" on the left Also, what is Automatic?

Also, how about integrating its setting page into the actual preferences window like NxS Balloon and Jump To File?

Otherwise, this is a *vast* improvement! Well done mate.

He had decided to live forever, or die in the attempt
In America - a must see film
skinme! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2004, 14:42   #5
skinme!
Forum King

Also, using ()'s in the formatting area generates errors.

e.g. Played %playcount% time(s)

edit: Silly skinme -- You're using the standard Winamp formatting system aren't you, so quotes are needed. Sorry.

Old 5th June 2004, 14:43   #6
shaneh
Major Dude

You would use %rating% and check for a emtpy string. ie

$if(%rating%,Rating = %ratingnum%,Unrated)

It is a limitation of ATF that you can't check values like 0. I could make takes like %is0rating%, %is1rating% etc like I did for %ishttp%, but I don't think its too necessary, unless you want to do custom symbols for ratings. I may make some cusomisation for ratings in the final release.

Point taken on the 'bottom left' etc. Automatic means toaster should try detect the best location for the toast. (automatic is default atm).

Use
Played x '('s')' times.
This is documented in Winamp's ATF help.

Also, if you are chucking stuff on both sides, its a good idea to use $cut and $abbr etc to shorten it so it doesnt overwrite stuff on the right if the title/artist/album etc is too long.
Old 5th June 2004, 14:56   #7
skinme!
Forum King

Thanks! This thing is very, very powerful. I've got it looking beautiful right now. It'd be easier if you added FontName from the INI into the prefs somewhere! But Toaster's definitely the best plug-in, especially with the rating Global Hotkey Support.

edit: Sorry to keep bugging you. Is there a way to check for video/audio. Is this possible with ATF? Like a %type% = 0 or 1 and then you could use an $if2... that would rock

Old 5th June 2004, 15:09   #8
skinme!
Forum King

One other thing: Why is there always some blank space below the album cover, no matter how big you make it. If you could eliminate this, it would be neat! And where does the Toaster get its skin from? Using the Modern base skin I'm getting 2.x looking toasts!

Old 5th June 2004, 15:32   #9
shaneh
Major Dude

You have to make sure the album cover is just the right size, (ie a multiple of the size of the edge pieces of the skin). eg, a size of 72 will leave no space (edit Toaster.ini to set exact size). If there does appear to be a space, it is actually the skin that makes its bottom pieces look like part of the background.

I think modern skins are quite shit, and dont care if theyre supported . Toaster gets its skin from gen.bmp, only more recent skins have this bmp (ones which skin the media library). It also obtains its skin from toast.bmp (same format as gen.bmp) if it can be found in the skins directory. I dunno where this would be for a modern skin.

I will be improving support for toast.bmp to allow better font/bg colouring, at the moment its a bit broken. I will not be supporting modern skinning however, it just isn't practical, and there is wasabi for that.
Old 5th June 2004, 15:47   #10
shaneh
Major Dude

Known (possible) improvements

Fix toast.bmp support

Another 'size' pane, which adjusts height/width rather than using the album cover to do it.

Font selection in preferences

Implement non-implemented features :P

Include images for http streams and no folder.jpg songs

Get covers from tags as well as folder.jpg

Allow exact number editing instead of slider bars for some things

Previewing of toasts

Allow text to take the place of where the image should be or shrink width if there is no image

Adjust scaling of skin

Add %playedlast%, %type%, %filesize% (more?) tags

Abuse of ATF to allow string/numeric comparisons. (ie %cmp:rating>0%, %cmp:type=0%)- stuff which should be in ATF anyway.

Center album cover vertically in toast window.
Option to make album cover maximum vertical size
Allow album cover on right or left side of window

Seek bar indicator? or at least %elapsed%, %timeleft% tags

Separate formatting for different actions, or at least tags to test status. ie, $if(%israting%, Changing rating to %rating%, %rating%) etc. or could be done as.. $if(%cmpstr:status=New Rating%) as above.

..more

Last edited by shaneh; 5th June 2004 at 16:34.
Old 5th June 2004, 15:48   #11
skinme!
Forum King

Thanks for the heads-up. I played about a bit and it seems, using the Winamp Modern Baseskin 117 is a good value to eliminate the space and be a good size.

Old 5th June 2004, 15:51   #12
shaneh
Major Dude

All classic skins are the same size, so that value will work with all classic gen.bmp skins. (as will 72). (although as i said, some skins make their edges not look flush - but if thats the intended design, IMHO theres nothing wrong with that.).
Old 5th June 2004, 15:59   #13
skinme!
Forum King

How about 'allow toast.bmp to override skin'? And then, a nice pretty toast.bmp

Old 5th June 2004, 16:05   #14
shaneh
Major Dude

It already does. If toast.bmp is found, it overrides gen.bmp. In order of search:

1 toast.bmp
2 gen.bmp
3 <perhaps winamp\plugins\toast.bmp should go here>
4 base skin

toast.bmp must reside in the directory of the skin you are currently using in order for it to be picked up. And as I said, its a bit broken with regards to coloring fonts and background atm.

If anyone knows of a good toast.bmp or folder.jpg I can use and distribute, Id like to know.
Old 6th June 2004, 09:57   #15
skinme!
Forum King

Do you have a toast.bmp that I could download to customise for myself? I can't seem to find one.

Old 6th June 2004, 12:08   #16
siebe83
Forum King

Good work!!!
Mmmh, it's time to change my sig
No comment, nothing to add: keep up the good work!

If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2004, 12:14   #17
shaneh
Major Dude

As it is the same format as gen.bmp, you can just rename gen.bmp to toast.bmp from any newer classic skin.

Some skins which use gen.bmp
http://www.winamp.com/skins/details.php?id=134364
http://www.winamp.com/skins/details.php?id=133635
http://www.winamp.com/skins/details.php?id=81567

There are heaps. As I have said, support is currently broken, the font and background color will be that of the base skin rather than from gen.bmp.

I will have a RC out soon with heaps of improvements and fixes, including fixed support for toast.bmp.

I think people will like some of the enhancements, I have included support for %cmp:% so you can do crazy stuff like:

$if(%cmp:bitrate>128%,High Quality,Low Quality) plus everything from the media library is supporty, like type, filesize etc and any custom stuff.

..and heaps of other stuff, will be quite hot.
Old 6th June 2004, 12:20   #18
skinme!
Forum King

Sounds very promising!

Old 6th June 2004, 12:36   #19
sparkyc

if only all updates were this good

I like! an great improvement on an already great plugin.

Just one (probably stupid) question:

Will the "disable during fullscreen video" option work for AVS/milkdrop as well? I ask 'cause with fullscreen milkdrop, the toasts interlace with the vis, and slow up both, at least on my (ageing) system.

Keep up the good work!
sparkyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2004, 13:02   #20
siebe83
Forum King

I use this format for the fourth line:
$if(%ishttp%,,[%album%])
(so i removed the %dir%)
But, if no album tag is present, it'll still show the dirname.
Is that expected behaviour?
I don't like it to show the foldername (it's 'music', so that doesn't make sense really)...
Am i doing something wrong?

Old 6th June 2004, 13:05   #21
shaneh
Major Dude

What does the media library say the album name is? It uses the hookable version so the data effectively comes from there.

What does using %album% in the ATF in the winamp playlist show?
Old 6th June 2004, 13:13   #22
siebe83
Forum King

In the media library, the album column is empty (if no album tag is present), since I checked 'no guessing'. In the playlist it won't show the foldername if the file is in the media library (and album tag is not present). It will show the foldername if the file is not in ML.
For the toaster, it does not matter wether the file is in ML or not: it just shows the album tag or, if tag is not present, the foldername...

[edit]
correction: i didn't check 'no guessing', but 'when ALL metadata not found, use SMART'
result: it'll take all present tags (my files are properly tagged)

Old 6th June 2004, 13:25   #23
shaneh
Major Dude

And what about using %album% in the winamp playlist? ie, general preferences-> Titles.
Old 6th June 2004, 13:28   #24
siebe83
Forum King

i nuked my ML, and reimported my files with 'no guessing'
now it works fine!

as i said, in the playlist it works fine
i use this format rule for titles:
[%artist% - ]$if2(%title%,$filepart(%filename%))[' ['$abbr(%album%,12)[' / '%tracknumber%]']'][ '{'%year%'}']

though, another thing:
when using %track%, it will show -1 when no track tag is present...
(%tracknumber% doesn't work for toaster)

[edit]
appearantly, the guessing method under 'media importing', affects titles in the playlist as well
also when using 'all', it will still use the guessing method 'smart' if ANY tag data is not present and the file is not in ML
i got rid of the stupid guessing thing now: it doesn't work how it should, i guess...

Old 6th June 2004, 13:45   #25
electricmime
Major Dude

when you get the customize mouse actions things working, will you be able to make it change volume with scroll wheel, and wouldnt it be cool if you could search for artwork.. like if there is no artwork, you just click it and it brings up amazon.com window with the artist and album searched.. or at least that be an option (though it would be nice if it only worked when there wasnt any artwork..)

There is no reset button on life... but the graphics kick ass
electricmime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2004, 13:57   #26
shaneh
Major Dude

I'll probably make it able to execute a cutom command with ATF tagging, ie, you could do:

iexplore http://www.amazon.com/search?a=%artist%

and so forth, that way it could support just about anything. But that is not expected to be in the next release - I will probably leave mouse actions for a little while.

Though there are a couple things Id like to do with them, such as setting the status. So you can do, Left click=set status='userdefined'

Then in your ATF's you can use %cmp:status=userdefined% to show particular stuff when you left click.

As for searching for album covers, there are other utilities to do that, I dont really want Toaster to carry too much baggage. (search for 'album cover art downloader' in google).

@siebe..: Use %track% and %plpos% for numbering.
Old 6th June 2004, 15:33   #27
skinme!
Forum King

Could you explain what you meant about the status thing?

Old 6th June 2004, 17:52   #28
shaneh
Major Dude

0.5a2

2nd Alpha Preview -0.5a2

+Fixes support for toast.bmp
+Allows positioning
+Enables wrapping text
+Allows you to specify rating star characters
+Allows toast_track.jpg to be used for missing folder.jpg
+Lets covers expand to fill the size
+New size dialog to specify height and width
+Preview after 'apply'
+Many misc fixes
+Many changes to ATF

Changes to ATF

+Passes unknown tags to media library, so tags like 'type' are now available
+%ratingnum% is now %rating%. %rating% is now %ratingstar%
+%length% is now %lengthf%
+%dir% is now %parentdir%
+new %isinml% tag
+new %dir% tag
+new %cmp:% tag

Explanation of new ATF tags
%dir% -Give the full directory without filename
%isinml% -Returns 'Yes' if file is in media library
%cmp:% -Compares a tag to a given string/number using an operator. Returns the value of the tag if it is true. You can use =,> or <. Note that the left value MUST be a tag, and the right value must be a regular constant.

eg.

%cmp:rating=0% will return value of %rating% (0) if %rating% equals zero, or nothing otherwise.

%cmp:bitrate>128% will return the value of %bitrate% if it is bigger than 128, or nothing.

You can even nest them to a degree. eg,

%cmp:cmp:rating<3>0% Will return the value of %rating% if it is bigger than 0 and less than 3. ie,
cmp:cmp:rating<3>0
Where the bold bit is the tag used, and the value returned is the value of %rating%, so it can be compared again.

A complex example:
$if(%cmp:status=New Rating%,$if(%cmp:cmp:rating<4>0%,Ok Song,)$if(%cmp:rating>3%,Great Song,)$if(%cmp:rating=0%,Not Rated,),$if(%cmp:bitrate<128%,LQ,HQ))

Will trigger when rating a song, and will give 'Ok song', 'Great Song' or 'Unrated' depending on the rating. It will give HQ or LQ depending on the bitrate when not rating.

Images

Place a toast.bmp in the same directory as Toaster.ini for it to be picked up and used if toast.bmp or gen.bmp cannot be found in the skin directory. A skeleton is included, BG and FG are the background and foreground colors.

Place 'toast_track.jpg' in the same directory as Toaster.ini for it to be used if folder.jpg cannot be found.

Bugs

Many still exist, particularly with wrapping text, width and height adjustment etc. I'm working on it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip toaster.zip (17.1 KB, 423 views)
Old 6th June 2004, 23:01   #29
skinme!
Forum King

NB: It seems toaster recognises %track% instead of ATF's %tracknumber%. I didn't see that mentioned in the thread above, though I did only skim it.

Old 7th June 2004, 04:21   #30
electricmime
Major Dude

im confused with the cmp thing

i have it set up (the rating part) so it does ratingstar/rating

i would like to have the number in parenthesis, but i dont think thats possible

but how would i tell it to overwrite that with "Not Rated" if no rating exists for that song?

Old 7th June 2004, 04:25   #31
shaneh
Major Dude

Your string would be like:

$if(%cmp:rating=0%,Unrated,%ratingstar%/'('%rating%')')
Old 7th June 2004, 04:35   #32
electricmime
Major Dude

it shows up as () i removed the /

but thanks for how to use parenthesis

i think the problem is that it sees not rated as different from rated 0.. is that possible?

edit: i think it works on some songs, but for some reason it shows 5 stars as 4 stars (4 stars is 4 stars, 3 stars is 3 stars, 2 stars is 2 stars, 1 star is 1 star..)but it is rated 5..

Old 7th June 2004, 04:40   #33
shaneh
Major Dude

Ah yes, things in the media library can either have no rating or a rating of 0 - it is actually different.

You could I suppose do:

$if(%rating%,$if(%cmp:rating=0%,Unrated,%ratingstar%/'('%rating%')'),Unrated)

EDIT: or even better:

$if(%cmp:rating>0%,%ratingstar% %rating%, Unrated)

Which first checks for no rating at all, then checks if the rating is zero. Or I could modify the rating tag so that %rating% actually returns 0 rather than NULL if theres no rating.

NB. There seems to be a small bug with saving the screen location with regards to bottom right/left. Will get it fixed.
Old 7th June 2004, 05:18   #34
electricmime
Major Dude

Thanks, that works now ^_^ (i used the second one)

Quote:
NB. There seems to be a small bug with saving the screen location with regards to bottom right/left. Will get it fixed.
yes i noticed that too, do you have the same problem with 5 star ratings as well?

Old 7th June 2004, 05:21   #35
shaneh
Major Dude

No I don't have that problem, make sure you have five characters in the 'rating stars' edit box. If you only have 4, then only 4 will be shown.
Old 7th June 2004, 05:23   #36
electricmime
Major Dude

thx, that fixed it

edit because i dont like double posting: three feature requests

the first involves how when it fades out, and you scroll your mouse over it, it solidifies again, well.. i would like an option to turn that off...

and also (when you get mouse actions working) for one of them to be "keep up until clicked" so it stays up until you click it, and then fades away (or whatever you set the fade settings to)

and this one is the least important of the three (mainly because of dros random song hotkey) but int he mouse options add a play random song thing...

im not sure what all you have planned for the mouse options, but those are a few of the things i would like to see..

Old 7th June 2004, 08:00   #37
skinme!
Forum King

I'm currently having problems with the following line:

$cut($if(%ishttp%,%watitle%,$if(%title%,$if(%cmp:track>0%,$num(%track%,2). ,)%title%,$filepart(%filename%))),20)
code:

$cut(
$if(%ishttp%,%watitle%,
$if(%title%,
$if(%cmp:track>0%,$num(%track%,2). ,)%title%,$filepart(%filename%)
)
),20
)

It worked fine before when the bold bit was simply %track%. (except it showed 00. for unnumbered tracks).

Now I've added the compare in, the first time the Toast pops up for a unnumbered song I have a 6/7/8-ish digit number come up as the track number. If I use my global hotkey to show the info again, then it shows correctly that time. It does this on every unnumbered song.

Should I be doing a simpler $if statement?

edit: No, the same thing happens if I test on %track% instead of %cmp:track>0%

Old 7th June 2004, 08:12   #38
shaneh
Major Dude

I suppose %track% must return a "" string instead of 0 or NULL when there is no track. I'll modify this so that it either uses the value 0 or just returns NULL in these cases.

The long number you are seeing is probably just a memory address converted to a number. I'll fix it up.

EDIT: Hmm.. re-reading that I dont think that is the problem afterall. I'll look into it soon anyway.
Old 7th June 2004, 08:23   #39
skinme!
Forum King

If it's of any use the number is always the same: 4294967295. Thanks for the speedy reply!

Old 7th June 2004, 11:41   #40
shaneh
Major Dude

Hm OK I figured it out, it was signed issue. For some reason when there is no track, %track% returns -1. That is winamp that returns that.

$num doesnt seem to handle negative numbers and will convert them to positive (henve the big number). This IMHO is a bug with ATF in Winamp.

However, I was also doing a similar mistake, and track>0 wasnt working as it was also getting converted in the same way. Ive fixed it to handle negative numbers so -1>0 will work properly.

Using $num on a negative number will still fuck up though, that needs to be fixed in winamp.

Oh, and you dont even need an if statement. Just a:

[$num(%cmp:track>0%,2) .]

will work, as it returns the value of the tag if its true. (note that cause its broken, it wont work with -1 at the moment).
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development