Old 2nd May 2005, 03:03   #1
missyob
Angel of Winamp

What do you do when the pain wont go away?

I did something terrible in late November of last year. Because of my actions I disappointed my family and friends and hurt myself emotionally.

I thought I was over the pain.... After all it has been 5 months but today it hit me hard and I felt the pain and regret like it was the day it happend. I could not stop crying. I keep trying to forgive myself, even went to a therapist once, thought I was doing really great and totally relapsed today.

I know I am a good person -- too good sometimes but I just cant get over the regret and pain.

Any suggestions?
missyob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2005, 03:11   #2
Phyltre
Forum King

Personally, when I think of things I know I'm better off not dwelling on, I just remember that in order to be a good person in life I must be a positive person. Thinking about negative things I cannot affect will not make me a more positive person...in fact, it can do quite the opposite.

Therefore it is my obligation, if I want to be a good person, to forget what I cannot change and focus on what I can. I'm just hurting myself and everyone by doing otherwise.
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2005, 03:21   #3
sgtfuzzbubble011

I've found that, while it's not good to dwell on the past, it's also good to think about it once in a while. It'll help you learn from your mistakes so that you don't repeat them. It isn't unhealthy to cry once in a while about things you've done or had done to you, but definitely try not to dwell on them. The only way you can become better is to learn from your mistakes and move on. You can't change the past, so there's no sense in beating yourself up over it. I know that's a lot easier said than done. I still feel like crying every time I think about Pixie, and it's been a month since she left. I know I can't change what happened, but I'm making myself a better person now because I'm learning from all the mistakes I made. Maybe the same can work for you.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2005, 03:34   #4
missyob
Angel of Winamp

Thanks guys. You have both helped alot.

I was just beating myself up so bad tonight.

<-------- says to self, think positive thoughts, you cant change the past but can strive for the future

You guys are the best. I am so glad to be a part of these forums.
Old 2nd May 2005, 03:58   #5
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

You know I'll always be here for you to lean on when things get tough, just as I was when we were going through it together last year.

Big hugs...

Chris

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2005, 04:37   #6
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Kill myself..er.. *hug*
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2005, 11:47   #7
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

I was about to post "Morphine" after I read the title of the thread

Disregard this post
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2005, 12:21   #8
missyob
Angel of Winamp

Morphine makes me throw up.
Old 2nd May 2005, 12:26   #9
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

Greeting from a dull airport, with free wireless

ehm, i did something really stupid in my last relationship, and i beat myself up over it for quite some time, half a year or something i believe, but then normal life seemed to take over again, i still get some nights even though it's allmost 1,5 years ago where i can't sleep...

guess what im trying to say that the pain indeed does go away, it just takes the time it needs to take...

anyway... better get to the gate...

- See ya
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2005, 12:33   #10
missyob
Angel of Winamp

All airports are boring

What I did had nothing to do with a relationship - It had to do with a decision that I regret......
Old 2nd May 2005, 16:19   #11
xzxzzx
Forum King

Missy, it sounds to me like you're approaching this the wrong way. I may be completely wrong, and so if I am, please disregard this post.

What it sounds like is that you're trying to justify what you did. "I'm a good person", while not a direct justification for the action, makes it seem less... profound. It's throwing dirt on a fire. It seems to work, you know. On the surface, everything is fine, but underneath, it smolders and waits to be resurrected, never really going out... well, a fire will eventually grow completely cold, but emotions won't. They can still hurt.

Don't try to make what you did "seem less". Maybe you aren't doing that, I don't know, but if you aren't, you're the first person I've met who doesn't. I do it. It's the natural human response. But it doesn't work, in the end.

I don't know what you did, and I'm not asking to know. You need to take responsability for whatever you did (I'm not saying you haven't), and try and make up any damage you did. Trying not to think about it... is dirt on the fire. It doesn't *fix* anything, it just covers it up. Again, the key here is to repair whatever damage you can - damage to a relationship (e.g. with your family) included.

I can't promise that doing this won't have a transient pain to it - admitting a transgression to a loved one often brings arguments and thrown dishes and so on (figuratively), but not admitting it can often do much worse. Much, much worse.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2005, 23:40   #12
Print
Forum King

Quote:
What do you do when the pain wont go away?
A quarter of weed, something to sip on - and some friends you can hang out with.

Problem solved
Print is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2005, 23:42   #13
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

I ignore and let it eat away at me as self loathing. How emo am I?
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2005, 06:16   #14
protegechris
Forum Queen

@bilbo

A nice long drive cures everything.

yeah, i'm back.
protegechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2005, 06:35   #15
izchan
Major Dude

Send a message via Yahoo to izchan
Missy.

xzxzzx is right. Don't evaluate the situation that you are going through by painting it black and white. There are more than one side of a story. You are beating yourself up over something because of the values that you hold dear to yourself. Its an integrity issue. And thats what makes you great.

Some will say face your problem, don't let it take you down.
Some will say be responsible and say "yes I did it".
And some will say "f**k it I will never do it again".

My take on pain is that its pain. It is not there to make you happy. It is there to make you hurt. Our body uses pain to tell us things, our mind uses pain to teach us.

Wallowing in self pity is of course to some people "uneffective" and "irresponsibile". But the truth is, sometimes, we have to hit rock bottom before we get to come up again. You are feeling pain, because you need to feel it. It is there for a reason.

Whatever happend, happend because it needed to. Your role in it was as it should be. What do you get off it? I don't know. Only you will know.

But I do know this. We are where we are today, because of what we were yesterday, molded by our own decision and all its consequences.

So if you feel like you need to cry, to shout, to repent or to even re-evaluate your priorities, then do so. Whatever you decide, it will help you understand yourself better. And from that, we grow.

... this is so embarasing. Your our mom and we are giving advice to you ... ... *hug* ... don't you feel afraid or alone ... you will always have us.

Sometimes it is just being me that counts
By: izchan
izchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2005, 06:59   #16
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
Quote:
Originally posted by blueprint_n9ne
A quarter of weed, something to sip on - and some friends you can hang out with.

Problem solved
yeah what you said.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Don't click this link!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2005, 07:20   #17
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
nobody's perfect.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2005, 11:52   #18
missyob
Angel of Winamp

Quote:
Originally posted by izchan
Missy.

... this is so embarasing. Your our mom and we are giving advice to you ... ... *hug* ... don't you feel afraid or alone ... you will always have us.
That is just the thing. I am the "mom" here. I am supposed to be a roll model here and I am so ashamed of what I did I cant even tell you guys............. Makes me feel even worse.

I am sorry I even started this thread...... I was just feeling like crap at what I did and...... Nevermind. Let this thread go. I will get over it.
Old 3rd May 2005, 11:59   #19
Leonhart

Send a message via AIM to Leonhart Send a message via Yahoo to Leonhart
*hugs*

"To Be Forgotten Is Worse Than Death"
Leonhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2005, 12:08   #20
missyob
Angel of Winamp

** hugs back **
Old 3rd May 2005, 19:37   #21
c2R
Stereotype?
(Forum King)

Everything will work out, Missy. Mainly because it always does...

Hope you're having a better day today...!
c2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2005, 22:24   #22
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally posted by protegechris
@bilbo

A nice long drive cures everything.
I prefer to write poetry.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions