Old 21st December 2005, 09:38   #1
glop

mpeg2 TS for winamp

hi

in December, French people will receive TV (100 TV) directly on TV when the sign for DSL "Free"

one chief of FREE said to me that only VLC will support theses TV cause "Winamp don't support mpeg2 TS, exept adding a plugin"

right ? wrong ? winamp could add it directly for newer version ?
glop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2005, 13:17   #2
Gutenberg

Send a message via ICQ to Gutenberg Send a message via AIM to Gutenberg Send a message via Yahoo to Gutenberg
Basically mpeg2 TS is a way to mix up several mpeg2 streams into a single one (thus broadcasting several TV channels within a single channel).

What you need is a demultiplexer that will be able to isolate a stream from the others. Technically-speaking, there are a couple of [free] Mpeg2-TS demultiplexers available as directshow filters; and since the Winamp's video subsystem is directshow itself, this may just do it!

Also, make sure to have a look at the alternative video plug-in, in_mplayer, which may include what you need to watch your TV channels. Even if you may have to recompile its helper dll to include such support.

However your ISP may have set up a more customised solution. In particular, it seems they patched VLC for the purpose, which may mean that their configuration isn't really what we could call a standard. As long as both VLC and your ISP's modifications are open-source, writing a new input plug-in for the purpose isn't thoroughly impossible...

As for Winamp native support... one can dream
Gutenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2005, 13:25   #3
glop

we can dream but we must wait FREE, we will see and patch perhaps
Old 21st December 2005, 15:23   #4
Gutenberg

Send a message via ICQ to Gutenberg Send a message via AIM to Gutenberg Send a message via Yahoo to Gutenberg
The experimentation was announced to start this week, if it isn't already done.

Another concern might be that Free could be required to add some kind of DRM protection, so that people wouldn't be allowed to rip [too easily] the mpeg2 streams... That may make the task harder for us

We'll see how it turns out (although I'm not concerned as I'm living in the countryside )
Gutenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2005, 12:33   #5
glop

for all people who have FREE in europe

here is the link to see FreeTV (more than 100 channels, including nationnal as TF1, france TV..)

Quote:
http://mafreebox.freebox.fr/freeboxtv/playlist.m3u
MPEG2 TS ? because actually, only VLC freeware is available

NOTE ONLY people who have freebox can read it..
Old 30th December 2005, 12:50   #6
yoann007

please note that there is no need to receive FreeTV to test the ability of any player to read MPEG2 TS.
you can test this with VLC :
- File > Wizard... > Stream to network > (open any video file on your hard drive, even if it's not a MPEG) > Streaming method : HTTP, and keep Destination blank > Choose MPEG TS > Finish.
- VLC is now streaming in MPEG TS. Keep the VLC window open.
- Open any player (such as Winamp) and open the following URL : http://127.0.0.1:8080
- If you see the video you chosen, then the player can read MPEG TS. Obviously it doesn't work with Winamp (for now ? ^^)

additional informations about FreeTV service :
the channels are streamed via the set top box included, so you can see a channel via an URL like rtsp://mafreebox.freebox.fr/freeboxtv/201 (where mafreebox.freebox.fr is the URL to your local set top box).
so the protocol rtsp:// also has to be understood in order FreeTV to work on Winamp.
For now FreeTV only worked on VLC and Mplayer, as far as I know.

I agree to give more help or advice about FreeTV to any developer, please feel free to ask.

I almost forgot : there isn't any DRM or something like that. With VLC it's so easy to rip. And there is no need of any "modded" version of VLC for receiving FreeTV (an other service called Freeplayer use a customized version of VLC, but although it's the same ISP, the two services aren't linked).

(at least I apologize for my poor english -_-)
yoann007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 13:03   #7
glop

yoann007 thanks for theses light

...the final purpose is to wath channel without VLC, directly in Winamp...hope MPEG2 TS in build 5.13
Old 30th December 2005, 13:06   #8
yoann007

VLC is a huge help to test the compatibility of other players with MPEG2 TS
We use VLC in order to replace it with Winamp later ^^

I'll wait the build 5.13 now
yoann007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion