Old 29th August 2011, 16:52   #1
Ntertainment

M4a files not playing

I have promo only pool that downloads files for me from promo only. The tards had it auto select m4a instead of mp3 and winamp doesn't seem to play the files. They play in Itunes. But Winamp just skips over them. Any thoughts?
Old 29th August 2011, 18:43   #2
Ntertainment

I've just decided to redownload them as mp3 and delete the m4a they take up a lot less room. Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 20:31   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

"They take up a lot less room" suggests that the codec used for the M4A files is ALAC (Apple Lossless).
If that's the case, then there's an ALAC Decoder included in the Winamp Essentials Pack.
Old 31st August 2011, 08:52   #4
Austic

How do I get AAC files to play on Winamp? Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I looked everywhere for a solution and couldn't find anything that worked so I felt like this might be a good place to post instead of creating a new thread. I downloaded the codec from http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....36#post1344136 and I downloaded iTunes but to no avail.
Old 31st August 2011, 16:25   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@Austic
Winamp supports playback of standard .AAC files by default, with no 3rd-party plugin/codec/program required.
Is the file extension definitely .aac?
Or is it .m4a, .mp4 or .m4p or other?
Can you provide us with a link to a sample file?
Old 31st August 2011, 20:27   #6
Austic

Ah you're right, iTunes had them labeled as AAC, but when I check in Winamp they are .m4a
Old 1st September 2011, 01:20   #7
Austic

Sorry for the double post, but I did what you said to do in http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=329386 and when I check the Format Info nothing shows up.
Old 1st September 2011, 11:35   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hmm, can you provide me with 1) a screenshot of the File Info dialog for one of these files and/or 2) a link to a sample file (upload to somewhere like mediafire.com sendspace.com or dropbox.com)?

If the Format Info in Winamp's File Info dialog is empty, then this suggests file corruption...
though it could also be because of an unsupported codec inside the MP4 container.

Winamp recognizes mp3, HE-AAC, AAC LC, and ALAC in MP4 container.
It should also play 3gp in mp4/m4a container, but the Format Info might be blank for 3gp.
The only other audio codec I know of that's used inside an mp4 container is AMR (unsupported by Winamp)...

It might also help if you provide us with a List of Plugins.
Is Winamp's MP4 Demuxer (Plugins\in_mp4.dll) and the AAC Decoder (System\aacdec.w5s) definitely present?
Old 1st September 2011, 21:20   #9
Austic

The file shouldn't be corrupt. I just opened the same album I dropped into Winamp in VLC and it works. Here is the screenshot http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5880/unledabg.png.

If it helps I downloaded this album straight from iTunes, so it might be 3gp. Here is a list of my plugins http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1927/unled2qj.png

I checked and the AAC Decoder is present, but I couldn't find the MP4 Demuxer. I googled it but couldn't find a working link.
Old 1st September 2011, 22:35   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
since you now know they are m4a files, did you try the below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
"They take up a lot less room" suggests that the codec used for the M4A files is ALAC (Apple Lossless).
If that's the case, then there's an ALAC Decoder included in the Winamp Essentials Pack.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
Old 2nd September 2011, 00:23   #11
Austic

I downloaded the Essentials Pack. Does the decoder work on it's own, or is there some enabling I have to do, because as of now it still does not play.
Old 2nd September 2011, 01:50   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I need to see a proper List of Plugins log (check my link again for instructions).

Judging by your first screenshot, it looks like Winamp is trying to use the MP3 Decoder to play M4A,
which means that in_mp4.dll isn't present, and that's why you can't play any M4A files.

Reinstall Winamp 5.62 and make sure MP4 is checkmarked under the Multimedia Engine > Audio Support section on the Choose Components page.
Old 2nd September 2011, 05:15   #13
Austic

Ah! Thank you so much. I didn't even pay attention to the specifics of the installation only the part involving bloatware. Thanks a ton DJ Egg!
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support