Old 3rd January 2001, 17:15   #1
Gigabyte

-The Y2K Bug
I heard that the "Y2K Bug" is striking a year later from my local news broadcast. It caused and emergency dispatch center's computers to shutdown and a trains in Europe to not start in the morning. "Y2K" stands for Year 2000. It is the Year 2001. In the Guinness Book of World Records 1990 Edition is says that the largest potential computer bug is the Y2K bug. Nothing happened on Y2K. Now there saying that a bug that can ONLY occur on Y2K happened on YMM1 (Year 2001). The Y2K bug is when the computers that only have a 2-digit year cant handle to zero's and possibly shut down. What's wrong with two zeros? Is every time computers screw up unexplainably going to be blamed on the "Y2K Bug?" That's just plain stupid!!!
-The New Millenium
Not much bother's me more than when people claim that we have just entered a new millennium a few days ago. The dictionary defines "millenium" as a span of 1,000 years. The first millennium started on the year 0. So the first millennium was from 0-999 (don't believe me? Write down all of the numbers and count them). That makes the second from 1000-1999. We entered a new decade, century, and millennium on Y2K. If YMM1 was the new millennium wouldn't we still have been considered to be in the 90's during the whole year of 2000?

If anyone wants to argue about this or support me please feel more that free to reply.

Gigabyte is temporarily away.
Yall Be Cool Now
Gigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2001, 17:26   #2
Matt
Banned

The millennium started in 2001. What happened on Jan 1st 2001, hardly anything. People celebrated the year 2000.

I was never bothered about the Year 2000 bug. Everyone claimed that things would go wrong. I knew there'd be no problems. It's only a date and most computers will remain unaffected from it.

People were saying that computers may recgonize the date as 1900 instead of 2000. This would make no difference to most computers anyway.

What was tiresome was the warning that the world would end or someone as equally stupid. Even things that didn't store the date were supposedly at risk. (Things such as - 'watch out, your bed may explode on Jan 1st 2000')
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2001, 17:31   #3
Gigabyte

I agree with you on the last three paragrapghs, but why do you think that the millenium started on YMM1? What reasons do you have?

Yall Be Cool Now
Old 3rd January 2001, 17:32   #4
monocle

That whole Y2K thing pissed me off. With all the hype, I was very disappointed last year when nothing happened. I was so looking forward to the chaos and looting. I had no idea what to do with the 6 months of dehydrated food and water supply I had stock piled in my garage.

As far as the "new millenium". I was under the impression that we started in the year 1, not the year 0. Normally when you begin to count things, you say "1... 2... 3... etc". However, who really gives a fuck? That was over 2000 years ago. Just be glad you won't be around for the next "new millenium" arguement in Y3K.

And remember... just 69 more years until the '70s start again. (or is it 70 more years?) LONG LIVE DISCO
monocle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2001, 17:53   #5
Matt
Banned

In 2000 people celebrated because it was the year 2000 and not 19 something. All sorts of stupid celebrations were undertaken and if you lived in England we spent millions on 'Millennium Domes' etc using money that is needed elsewhere.

Anyway this (not by me) should silence all the wrong poeple.

Quote:
There was no year 0 (or AD 0, 0 BC). The year before 1 A.D. is defined as year 1 B.C., so year 0 was skipped. So January 1st, year 1 is defined to be the start of the 1st century and the 1st Millennium.

Because one Millennium is 1000 years, the first Millennium ends with year 1000. The next (2nd) Millennium starts 1000 years after the first, that is in year 1+1000 = 1001. And the 3rd one starts 1000 years later than the 2nd: 1001+1000 = 2001.

Old 3rd January 2001, 18:07   #6
Gigabyte

A millennium is a period of 1000 years.
A century is a period of 100 years.
A decade is a paeriod of 10 years.

If there was no year 0 then wouldn't we have still been in the 90's decade last year?

The years are supposed to go in numerical order, so you can't just skip zero! What's in the center of the number line? Zero, not something else.

Yall Be Cool Now
Old 3rd January 2001, 18:28   #7
monocle

OK,

John has 8 apples and 4 bananas.
Jane has 7 bananas and 2 apples.
Billy has 5 bananas and 5 apples.

Jane gives Billy 3 bananas and 1 apple.
Billy gives John 3 apples and 1 banana.
John gives Jane 3 bananas.
Billy gives Jane 5 banana.
Jane gives John 1 apple.
John gives Billy 2 apples.

Q: How many apples and bananas does each person have?

A:Who gives a rats ass? Billy and John only want to get Jane naked anyway.
Old 3rd January 2001, 18:37   #8
monocle

Believe the US Government? Are you insane? I would rather believe you, and I don't even know you.
Old 3rd January 2001, 18:42   #9
s1138
Alumni?

Send a message via ICQ to s1138 Send a message via AIM to s1138 Send a message via Yahoo to s1138
I WANTED CHAOS! sp?
i wanted computers down (not mine) and havoc

s1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2001, 18:48   #10
Matt
Banned

Yes the end of the world would've been good. Something different for a change. Instead we got one or two minor computer faults. All disappointing really.
Old 3rd January 2001, 18:55   #11
Gigabyte

This is how it be. A decade was meant to be the ten years where the third number of the year was the same. The '90s where from 1990 to 1999. The same for a century and millineim. If we start counting from 1 the new millineim does start on 2001. But the millineim is from 1000 to 1999. A millenium is supposed to be the period of time where the first number of the year is the same, which is 1000 years. Who is the U.S. Government to say when time began or when millineims begin. Where does it say that we have to start counting from year one. What about start counting from 2000 B.C. or 2001 B.C or how about when the Universe was created.

Yall Be Cool Now
Old 3rd January 2001, 19:03   #12
Gigabyte

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Ithaca/5309/milmad.html

Yall Be Cool Now
Old 3rd January 2001, 19:05   #13
Matt
Banned

Counting starts at 1 because there was no zero year.

Quote:
When the present system we use to count years was invented by a scholar called Dionysius Exiguus in the 6th century they used Roman numerals which did not have zero. Therefore 1 BC is the year before AD 1, with no intervening year 0. (Sequence ... 3 BC, 2 BC, 1 BC, AD 1, AD 2, AD 3 ...).
1st Millenium - 1/1/1 - 31/12/1000
2nd Millenium - 1/1/1001 - 31/12/2000
3rd Milenium - 1/1/2001 - 31/12/3000
Old 3rd January 2001, 19:08   #14
Gigabyte

http://www.churchofreality.org/opinion/millen.htm

Yall Be Cool Now
Old 3rd January 2001, 19:50   #15
monocle

If you all can give me a few hours I can shit on a piece of paper, scan it, upload it to my web site and post a link to it here. However, just being on the interent does not make it worth a shit. (pun intended)

The only reason this is STILL an arguement even 3 days (or 1 year and 3 days) after the new millenium is because people STILL argue it. Its over. Deal with it.

Having said that, let me finish by saying this: I like cake.
Old 3rd January 2001, 19:56   #16
Matt
Banned

I don't care about it either. It's only another year, decade, century, millenium.

Just telling people the truth. (2001 of course)

Anyway forget that, How can you scan shit on a piece of paper? Is that even possible?

Old 3rd January 2001, 20:06   #17
monocle

Well, if its not dry, it may make a mess. I guess I should just use my digital camera.

I agree. who cares. I think both sides have a case. Technically, the new Millenium did start a few days ago. But figurativly (sp?) it was last year.

Maybe if we put this much energy into working on world hunger... well I guess everyone would starve because nobody would agree on the color of the place mats to use.
Old 3rd January 2001, 21:47   #18
BeholeThePower

Send a message via AIM to BeholeThePower
this is what I don't get. year 1 wasn't even really year 1. Jesus was really born somewhere like 3 b.c. (odd, he was born before himeslf? teeheehee)...and another thing, BC=before chirst, AD=after death...so according to that there should be a 33 year period called DC=durring Christ. it goes straight from his birth to his death. something about that tells me our modern calender isn't very accurate and we should not be debating wether or not to count a year zero when there wasn't even a year one!
BeholeThePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2001, 22:23   #19
Huehuetenango
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Gigabyte
-The Y2K Bug
The first millennium started on the year 0.
the problem is that there was no year zero. when the monk who started our present system of counting years, (ie, introduced the idea of bc and ad) made it up, it was already fairly far into the ad's. this means that, not only was he not able to accurately set the date that it should have started on, but he forgot the year zero. by his reckoning it went from 1 bc to 1 ad
Huehuetenango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2001, 23:41   #20
UrsasMar

Send a message via ICQ to UrsasMar
Technically, this is now the new millenium, and it started 01/01/01. The reason for this has already been stated, when our calendar was invented, there was no such thing as the number Zero. It wasn't even a concept, so dating started on the year 1.

But, it has been the new millenium since 01/01/00. Why? Because thats what the news, and reports said it was. Common belief tends to rule over facts. So its been the new millenium for over a year now, but it has actually, in reality (not the media made up one), been the new millenium for just over 2.5 days (or 3, depending on where you live).

Oh, I also wanted to add this. I hate the term Y2K. Why? Well, Y2K would be the year 2048. It should have been Y2G, or something else, just not Y2K.

And speaking of computer bugs, the nasty one is hitting in August of 2011. Pretty much every Unix machine will be hosed.
UrsasMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2001, 00:02   #21
2Bdecided

Oh so picky point...

We didn't skip the year zero simply because "zero" wasn't invented when the calendar was set down.

A person is not aged one until one year after they were born, on their first birthday. However, the time between their birth, and their first birthday, is known as their first year. Not the "zeroth". It's just the way we humans (we are all humans around here, right?) express things... "During the first year I had that car, it worked fine" etc.

So, ignoring for a moment that the date is almost certainly wrong, Christ is born at the start of the first year AD (1AD). His first birthday marks the end of 1AD, and the start of 2AD, during which his age will be 1 year (and so many months). and so on...

Counting backwards, the first year immediately before he is born is 1BC.

So, there's no zero, and the new Millenium just started.

Or look at is another way...

There are one thousand years in a millenium.
The first is year 1,
the last is year 1000,
the first year of the next millenium is 1001.

There are seven days in a week.
The first is day 1 (Monday),
the last is day 7 (Sunday),
the first of the next week would be day 8 (Monday again).

Just because there are 7 days in a week doesn't mean the week starts on the seventh day.

I've just realised how little I care about this, and I'm going to bed!

http://www.David.Robinson.org/
2Bdecided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2001, 00:23   #22
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Year zero?!? For Christ's sake.

0001-1000 = millennium
1001-2000 = millennium
2001-3000 = millennium

Year zero? No. No year zero. No. No.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2001, 00:27   #23
RacingCaptain

Back to the BC / AD (as opposed to ACDC) thing, AD stands for Anno Domini (Latin for, I _think_ "year of the Lord") not "After Death" so there isn't a 33 (?) year gap, don't worry.
My mates dog died as the year 2k ticked in. Is this a widespread phenomenomenmoenomenomemneomenomenon? Are Alsations not y2k compliant? I know I'm not - didn't do any work all year...
RacingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2001, 00:32   #24
Psycho Puppet
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Psycho Puppet Send a message via Yahoo to Psycho Puppet
I honestly dun give a flying rats ass about when the new Millennium starts. Like it really does matter. Oh yea, doesn't the ancient mayan calender end on what would be the year 2011?...not sure but I think thats when they(ancient mayans) predict the world ends...I gotta research and find out. heh If ya know the answer then post please.

YES
Psycho Puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2001, 00:35   #25
Somebody
Major Dude

Jesus Christ was born in year one.
Somebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2001, 01:42   #26
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

Quote:
Originally posted by BeholeThePower
BC=before chirst, AD=after death...so according to that there should be a 33 year period called DC=durring Christ. it goes straight from his birth to his death.
No! AD stands for the Latin ano domini. no idea what that means, though. I can guess ano means "year" from Spanish class. Although, if you said ano to a Spanish-speaking person, they would interpret it as anus.

[edit]Oops! Someone said that already! But I did have that valuable anus comment [/edit]
flatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2001, 02:03   #27
Somebody
Major Dude

BLAH
disregard

Old 4th January 2001, 02:07   #28
Psycho Puppet
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Psycho Puppet Send a message via Yahoo to Psycho Puppet
I thought "ass" was aburro. Technically I mean. heheh
Old 4th January 2001, 02:09   #29
Somebody
Major Dude

I just realized what flatmatt meant. (REGARDING: My post above... not what's below...)

but burro is ass (donkey)
and asno is also ass (donkey)

[Edited by Somebody on 01-03-2001 at 09:30 PM]
Old 4th January 2001, 02:12   #30
Psycho Puppet
Major Dude

I know, I was just being silly, lol. Never heard of asno in spanish before......wierd. usually an uncommon word?
Old 4th January 2001, 02:13   #31
Somebody
Major Dude

I guess it just sounds harsh.
Old 4th January 2001, 02:24   #32
español flatmatt

Send a message via AIM to español flatmatt
NO! Ano=anus. NOT butt. Anus is buttHOLE, not butt. Our Spanish teacher said this when people kept pronuncing año without the ~.

P.S. Whipped out my Spanish name again. This is the second time I've pointed this out.
español flatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2001, 02:31   #33
Psycho Puppet
Major Dude

lol I know what ano is...learned it from my mother(was saying year wrongly and she corrected) and my spanish teacher. =P I was responding to Somebody's post who edited it...
Old 4th January 2001, 02:33   #34
Somebody
Major Dude

well Psycho, go take your smelly ano somewhere away from me
Old 4th January 2001, 02:35   #35
Psycho Puppet
Major Dude

HEY! Ano sniffer!!.... ok I am going to stop before this discussion gets way out of hand or did it already? heh
Old 4th January 2001, 02:36   #36
Somebody
Major Dude

ano sniffer

you just called me an ano sniffer...

(those eeks will always crack me up)
Old 4th January 2001, 21:39   #37
fish
Pretty Cool Guy

Send a message via AIM to fish
I thought you were

eh, heh.
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2001, 21:40   #38
Somebody
Major Dude

Old 4th January 2001, 23:08   #39
SNYder
Forum King

just incase no one mentioned it... AD doesn't acually meen after death... Thats just something people started calling it. I forget what it acually stands for... Someone go look it up. Also, I'm not totaly sure, but I believe the same goes for BC. But I'm 100% sure of the AD... We talk about this whole subject in Social Studies last year.

Peace
SNYder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2001, 23:12   #40
fish
Pretty Cool Guy

Send a message via AIM to fish
Quote:
Originally posted by SNYder
just incase no one mentioned it... AD doesn't acually meen after death... Thats just something people started calling it. I forget what it acually stands for... Someone go look it up. Also, I'm not totaly sure, but I believe the same goes for BC. But I'm 100% sure of the AD... We talk about this whole subject in Social Studies last year.

Peace
AD = Anno Domini
BC = Before Christ,
and for the unreligious people they prefer to use BCE, which is Before Common Era

eh, heh.
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions