Old 13th May 2005, 19:06   #1
kickdoor

Send a message via AIM to kickdoor Send a message via Yahoo to kickdoor
Problems playing video files.

I am using the latest version of winamp, but I had this problem well before my recent update. Using Win98.

The problem is that some video files(I am only trying to play .avi files by the way) just won't play. The audio will play fine but I can't get the video. And I know they work because I have used another program to play the files, but I hate that other program and it skips, so I'm trying to get the files to play in winamp. This does not happen will all video files, some play perfectly fine, while other's just won't have video playing for some reason. I have read through FAQ's, Tutorials, and have searched the forums, but I have not found any solution. Could someone please help. thank you. I am also having the same problem playing these files(specifically episodes of Arrested Development and Red Dwarf) in Windows Media Player. These files are smaller then some much larger movie files that play perfectly in winamp and windows media player, so I just don't understand what the problem is.
kickdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 20:15   #2
JonnyMac

There might be a missing Codec. Try using GSpot to test the file(s) and to determine the needed CODECs. See this screenshot for info on using GSpot. Take a look here and here for Codecs.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 21:02   #3
kickdoor

Send a message via AIM to kickdoor Send a message via Yahoo to kickdoor
Ok, I installed ffdshow, updated directx(just for the hell of it), and I downloaded Gspot, and it said I had the codecs needed and it Rendered successfully. The videos now play in winamp but they are skipping like crazy. When I play them in windows media player they work good, but the audio track moves to fast so that it is off time with the video. Any suggestions?
kickdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 21:10   #4
jmatthews112
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to jmatthews112 Send a message via Yahoo to jmatthews112
Try Preferences ... Video ... Synchronize video to screen refresh rate and see if that helps.
jmatthews112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 21:17   #5
JonnyMac

I was typing my reply as jmat posted his, so one of the following suggestions will be a dupe of his (sorry jmat).

Did you close Windows and reboot the computer after installing ffdshow?

Try updating DirectX

As for Winamp, try the following...
DirectSound Config Tweaks

Also maybe the following...
1. Winamp > Ctrl+P
2. General Preferences > Video
3. check or uncheck 'Allow hardware video overlay'
and/or
check or uncheck 'Synchronize video to screen refresh rate'
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support