Old 31st October 2005, 02:23   #1
Hietzing

Send a message via Yahoo to Hietzing
Craven Newbie seeks Milkdrop Guru!

Hello -

I am totally adrift in the Milkdrop ocean! It's so flexible and complicated. I have no computer skills besides the most primitive. My situation: I'm an artist/illustrator who's wound up with a film project. I need to have something on the screen while music is playing. This is for a comparison of music played by different classical conductors and I don't want to show lame-ass trees and waves crashing on the shore. BO-ring! Then I thought,"Hey! Maybe there's a way to save Milkdrop visualisations. Cool!"

Except that my expertise consists of running music through Winamp and clicking the "Next visualization" button 'til I find something pretty.

I'm a techo-feeb. Pity me.

I need to find out how - or even if - I can save visualizations and export them for a DVD project. I love Milkdrop and think it can save my film - if I was only smart enough to figure out configuring. I emailed Mr. Geiss a week ago but c'mon; like he's going to write back to a bonehead like me?

I live in San Francisco if that helps. I can talk faster than I can type. Email your derisive responses to koloman@pacbell.net. Thanks!
Hietzing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2005, 16:48   #2
Phat
Major Dude

http://www.fraps.com/
Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2005, 17:51   #3
Hietzing

Thank you, Mr. Phat Major Dude - Sir!

I checked out the website; it looks like this is what I need. In a word, COOL! Thanks!
Old 10th November 2005, 18:51   #4
Hietzing

Well, this is interesting stuff. I am new to this stuff, like I said, and am still reading posts to try to figure what to ask. Milkdrop presets are something I'm trying to figure out. I wish I had the time to sit down and master this stuff but I'm editing my film now. I'll probably wind up paying someone. You know: "Here's music and I need pretty images to go with it so my film isn't boring."

Too bad I didn't find all this information a year ago.

Anyway, thanks fot the word about FRAPS. Also, you've got a nifty home page of your own!

- B. Stockwell
Old 11th November 2005, 07:53   #5
Eo.S.
Milkdrop Moderator

O yea we use http://www.virtualdub.com/ for compression for posting stuff online. As fraps is basicly uncompressed.
Eo.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2006, 09:02   #6
Hietzing

Okay, time passes and I'm ready to run some music through Milkdrop and save the visualizations. I downloaded FRAPS and asked the fine people at Fraps if, in fact, their software can do the job. I need to know this before I drop $37.00 for their "real" version. They say: "Fraps can capture visualisations providing they use DirectX or OpenGL for their graphics engine (and not a software renderer."

What the Heck? Now I'm waddling around in bow-legged terror trying to find any reference to this "condition" to recording Milkdrop "shows." Graphics engine? Software renderer? Man, I wish I was smart!
Old 5th April 2006, 10:01   #7
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
Milkdrop uses DirectX as its graphics engine. SO it will be ok.

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2006, 15:06   #8
Phat
Major Dude

yea it works, I've used it. Just remember to remove the frame rate counter...
Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop