Old 18th July 2011, 11:13   #1
theking

SHOUTcast DNAS question

hey guys,

ive been streaming for over 5 years now but i still haven't found an answer to this question.

I basically go through this streaming company which I pay monthly fees to give me 20 slots but in order to get their service I have to run shoutcat dnas & winamp on my machine.

My question is this what does the last bit of info on the DNAS (the active/unique section) represent? I thought the only mob that could connect to my machine was the company that I pay and then from there they give 20 slots for my listeners if this is so then why do I have an extra 4 listeners and 3 of them are unique? Does this mean im getting hacked or someone is connecting directly to my ip address?

Sorry if it sounds like a silly question but ive been very curious to find out about this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dnas.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	48988  
theking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 11:24   #2
DrO

active = number of client connections to the DNAS
unique = is just the number of active client connections which aren't using the same IP to connect to the DNAS.

if you view the admin page for the DNAS (usually via http://127.0.0.1:8000/admin.cgi if you're running it locally) then you can see the details of the clients connected.

it could be people have found your server (does happen) but also depends if you've set it as private or public as to how easy that would have been. if you don't like / recognise the connections then you can just ban them via the ban ip page.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 17:15   #3
dotme

Just to add to Daz's post, if your HOSTED server is relaying from your LOCAL server, and your stream is set to public, both servers will be included in served PLS files from the YP.

On DNAS v1, if you set the LOCAL server to "private", the HOSTED server can also end up "private" even if set to "public"

Solutions:

1) See if your host supports an encoder connection. If yes, ditch your local server and encode directly to the hosted server.

2) If not, then drop your listener slots on the LOCAL server to "1" and no others can connect. Also add the HOSTED server IP to the RIP list, so it always has priority to use the one available slot.
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 11:31   #4
theking

Thanks heaps guys youve been great

dotme

1) See if your host supports an encoder connection. If yes, ditch your local server and encode directly to the hosted server.

Could u please elaborte further on this. Does this mean i wont have to use shoutcast dnas and instead i just put the server ip and the username & password into the output config in winamp??
theking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 15:56   #5
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Quote:
Originally Posted by theking View Post
...Does this mean i wont have to use shoutcast dnas and instead i just put the server ip and the username & password into the output config in winamp??
Yup
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions