Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 8th April 2016, 19:35   #441
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
Here is an early Beta 4 Build:

http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/downlo...pToolSetup.zip

which should fix the log disabling issue you have.
Sorry, it doesn't.
I see no difference in behaviour between Ver3.0.0.1784 and Ver3.0.0.1782
They both behave as described in post #463 above.

Of course, if the tool will eventually always write a log, then being able to enable/disable log writing isn't very important.

The real problem is the incomplete back-up.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2016, 00:23   #442
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerman View Post
No matter what the detailed activity pane shows, the progress description shows only 1 of 3 things:
Backing up: Winamp Configuration Files
or
Backing up: Media Library Bookmarks
or
Compressing your backup files...

Most of the time that "Backing up: Media Library Bookmarks" is shown, some other files are being copied. The message is out of date and does not describe what is currently being backed up.
It might be valuable to show the "Compressing your backup files..." message, but the others seem unnecessary, especially if they are inaccurate.
Would be easy to fix though.

For next version:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Does that mean that a renamed archive and/or archives created with older versions of BT will be treated as invalid when selected with the Browse option?
Nope, the integritiy check was implemented in v1.0.1 Beta.

It verifies if a compressed archive file (or in the past the backed up folder) are a valid ressource for restoration.

E.g. you cannot use a zip file which doesn't contain the integrity file, if you open any non backup zip/7z file the tool will show you a message.

Quote:
I also notice that the "not responding" message in the title bar is not there. Does this mean that BT is multi-threaded?
Yes and now.

That page is the NSIS install progress page, which doesn't run directly on the UI like it does in Info Tool.

Quote:
Sorry, it doesn't.
I see no difference in behaviour between Ver3.0.0.1784 and Ver3.0.0.1782
They both behave as described in post #463 above.

Of course, if the tool will eventually always write a log, then being able to enable/disable log writing isn't very important.

The real problem is the incomplete back-up.
I cannot reproduce this with Beta 4 previous versions began writing parts of the log file on start, that was changed in Beta 4.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2016, 00:57   #443
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Winamp Backup Tool Ver3.0.0.1782

I have 5 Media Library playlists.
When performing the actions described below, sometimes only 1 is backed up correctly.
Also, at one point, a log file is created when I specify that it should not be.

To reproduce this, the tool is run with these common settings:
General Settings: backup
Path Selection: default
Compression: default
Mode: automatic

1.Run the tool 2 times, each time selecting "Create an extended log file".
(This clears the strange behaviour that I see in the following executions.)

2. Run the tool a 3rd time but de-select "Create an extended log file".
results: a log file is created (bad), and all ML playlists are backed up correctly (good).

3. Run the tool a 4th time with "Create an extended log file" still de-selected.
results: no log file is created (good), but only one ML playlist is backed-up (bad).

4. Run the tool a 5th, 6th, 7th .... etc. time, each time with "Create an extended log file" still de-selected.
results: no log file is created (good), but only one ML playlist is backed-up (bad).
I cannot reproduce it.

To figure out what is wrong please:

1. Can you verify that the issue ist still present in beta 4?

2. Could you take a look at the archive when it failed, if only one playlist file is in the archive, this would help me to see if the backup fails or if there is a bug in the log file?

3. Could you upload your BT log file?
Old 9th April 2016, 03:08   #444
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
I cannot reproduce it.

To figure out what is wrong please:

1. Can you verify that the issue ist still present in beta 4?

2. Could you take a look at the archive when it failed, if only one playlist file is in the archive, this would help me to see if the backup fails or if there is a bug in the log file?

3. Could you upload your BT log file?
I'm using version 3.0.0.1784
As I said earlier, the behaviour is exactly as I described in Post #463
I always checked the archive. That's how I know the backup fails.

For testing, I hope you are always using Automatic mode and never Custom or Previous.
Also, I never re-set an option if it already agrees with the ones in Post #463

Whenever a log file is created, it shows that all ML playlists have been backed up.
This is true even when the log is created after I choose to not have it created.
The details pane is always accurate about which ML playlists are backed up, even when only 1 of 5 is copied. See attached.

My bet is that the problem is not with the log, but elsewhere.
It will be interesting to try the future version that automatically writes a log every time.
If I choose to write a log every time, the tool eventually backs up the playlists correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	All ML playlists backed up.png
Views:	91
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	52343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Only 1 of 5 ML playlists backed up.png
Views:	102
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	52344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Proof of Version.png
Views:	98
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	52345  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Log File - All ML playlists backed up - Winamp_Backup_Tool_Backup.zip (101.7 KB, 87 views)

Old 9th April 2016, 20:47   #445
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi ryerman,

Have you looked to see if those playlists are the only supported files in your configuration left out by BT's automatic mode without logging?

What version of Windows 7 are you using? That file browser in your first 2 screenshots doesn't look like my Windows Explorer. Where are those blue icons next to the zip files coming from? I see an icon that looks like a closed manila folder with a zipper on it next to my zip files. Do you have Windows or another app configured to handle zip files by default? If so, maybe that is interfering with the "7za.exe" app (and/or it's library file 7za.dll) that BT is using to make and expand archive files. On my computer, I don't have anything associated with the .zip extension (I used the Windows Default Programs utility to check).

Thinking that Windows or another archiving app may be messing with things is really just a 'shot in the dark', since I can't think of a logical reason why disabling logging would trigger it to happen.

Koopa will be removing the option for disabling logging, but why wouldn't you want a report of what BT did anyway? Checking a log against it's archive file is the only way to know if BT tried to include everything it was supposed to include, since the messages in the detail pane scroll by to fast to read them all.

As for the 0 time period shown in the third screenshot, I think BT uses 0 for any time interval less than a second. File and folder deletions happen very quickly. If I'm right maybe it should just say < 00.00.01. On the other hand, you may have spotted another bug.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2016, 01:39   #446
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

As for your issue ryerman I cannot reproduce it and two other people cannot either. BUt would be interesting what content your playlists.xml file has.

That it works when you play with the log file option is just a random thing, the log file hasn't any effect on the copy scripts.

If there would be an error the tool would report it and it wouldn't be shown as failed in the status column. That looks more like it hasn't found files, but I have no idea what is the trigger for your issue (maybe AV software).

As for the 0 issue I already fixed it for next build.
Old 10th April 2016, 02:26   #447
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
As for your issue ryerman I cannot reproduce it and two other people cannot either. BUt would be interesting what content your playlists.xml file has.
Here it is.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ryerman-playlists.xml.zip (690 Bytes, 101 views)

Old 10th April 2016, 21:04   #448
ryerman
Major Dude

Hi Aminifu
Quote:
Have you looked to see if those playlists are the only supported files in your configuration left out by BT's automatic mode without logging?
%AppData%\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml\views\*.vmd also fails and it fails regardless of whether I choose to create a log or not.
There are 35 files in the source directory.
When creating a log file, only 24 are copied.
When not creating a log file, only 1 is backed up.
Quote:
What version of Windows 7 are you using? That file browser in your first 2 screenshots doesn't look like my Windows Explorer. Where are those blue icons next to the zip files coming from? I see an icon that looks like a closed manila folder with a zipper on it next to my zip files. Do you have Windows or another app configured to handle zip files by default? If so, maybe that is interfering with the "7za.exe" app (and/or it's library file 7za.dll) that BT is using to make and expand archive files. On my computer, I don't have anything associated with the .zip extension (I used the Windows Default Programs utility to check).
Windows Home Premium
The unfamiliar look is from the StExBar, a 3rd party Explorer toolbar. I couldn't do without it.
I have Bandzip associated with about 15 different archive types, including ZIP and 7Z.
I guess nothing is impossible, but it seems extremely improbable that that would cause a problem.
Especially because sometimes the playlists are backed up, sometimes they're not, but the file associations don't change.
Quote:
Koopa will be removing the option for disabling logging, but why wouldn't you want a report of what BT did anyway? Checking a log against it's archive file is the only way to know if BT tried to include everything it was supposed to include, since the messages in the detail pane scroll by to fast to read them all.
I don't mind having a report. (btw, the detail pane has a scroll bar to allow you to review the backups.)
I was just playing around to check the options and stumbled onto what I still consider a bug.

I would prefer a much simpler TXT log file, with options for the amount of detail reported. (like "Robocopy" from the Windows command-line)
Unless there was a problem, totals of existing, skipped, missed, successful, or whatever would be sufficient.

Koopa can't reproduce the described behaviour and says neither can 2 others.
I don't think you've said one way or the other.
I just wish I could look over everybody's shoulder to make sure they're running the tool 4 times in succession as I described.
Maybe my description of how to reproduce was unclear.

I'll have to stick to the copy and paste method for backing up.
To make it simple, I'll just copy the complete %APPDATA%\Winamp folder and 2 INI files from the program folder.
That's less than 2 GB, even without compression.
And with a small script I can make it automatic on a schedule.

Old 10th April 2016, 22:45   #449
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:

I have Bandzip associated with about 15 different archive types, including ZIP and 7Z.
I guess nothing is impossible, but it seems extremely improbable that that would cause a problem. ...
I agree it is unlikely, but you could temporarily disassociate .zip and .7z from Bandzip to check. I have 7-zip installed and use it a lot (it finally got updated after years), but I don't associate it with any file extensions (just select it from a context menu when I want to use it).

Yeah, I overlooked the scroll bar and pointing to an entry shows the full text in a popup. So, a log is not the only way to check what BT says it is intending to archive. I stand corrected.

Earlier today, I followed your steps to reproduce the bug 'to a T' (several times) and couldn't get BT to fail for me. I seldom use automatic mode because my collections of skins and Milkdrop presets seldom change. It really wouldn't be a problem to include them in every archive, I just chose not to.

It's unfortunate that BT is not reliable for you. I wish more people would try BT and report their experiences.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 10th April 2016, 23:47   #450
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:

%AppData%\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml\views\*.vmd also fails and it fails regardless of whether I choose to create a log or not.
There are 35 files in the source directory.
When creating a log file, only 24 are copied.
When not creating a log file, only 1 is backed up.
I have 1 zero length file in that folder that, of course, is not backed up. I don't know why Winamp created it or leaves a zero length file hanging around. Maybe I caused it, messing around with my custom views. It's been there since February of last year and I've been sort of afraid to delete it.

Anyway, you don't have any zero length files in that folder do you?

Old 11th April 2016, 01:28   #451
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
I have 1 zero length file in that folder that, of course, is not backed up. I don't know why Winamp created it or leaves a zero length file hanging around. Maybe I caused it, messing around with my custom views. It's been there since February of last year and I've been sort of afraid to delete it.

Anyway, you don't have any zero length files in that folder do you?
Yep, all but 24.
So I guess that explains why only 24 were copied.
I wasn't aware that the tool evaluates files before copying.
I deleted them without causing any change in the Library.
But still, only 1 is copied when the backup fails.
And before you ask, none of the playlist files are zero length.

Quote:
I agree it is unlikely, but you could temporarily disassociate .zip and .7z from Bandzip to check. I have 7-zip installed and use it a lot (it finally got updated after years), but I don't associate it with any file extensions (just select it from a context menu when I want to use it).
I did and also turned off the antivirus.
I can still produce the failure.

I used to have 7-zip, but because it was not being updated I switched to Bandzip

Old 11th April 2016, 07:00   #452
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I can setup a debugg build next weekend for you, with some messages to see what is going on. Though I'm not sure if we find a reason, because I checked the copy macros several times.

As for the DetailPrint, it is meant to show, what the tool is doing currently just some visual feedback for the user to see that the tool is working. It was full of info which is not relevant some info was more confusing for the average standard user than helpful and even i you can copy paste that contents, it isn't helpful for debugging.

As for the TXT, it is a pain to format raw text files, the only thing you can do is working with line breaks. The old report was even for me a pain to read and as of today where we all have fast PCs (600Mhz Cpus and +) HTML allows much more graphical formatations, it is much more easy to read.

I'm sorry if you disagree with log files, but that it how things works.

Can you upload a log file when it failed? Your log file showed that it was working.

I've tested with automatic mode as you described btw. Nevertheless 'Automatic mode' only hides the components page and sets the cursor to 0 (Complete). So it is the same if you use 'Automatic' mode or if you chosse 'Complete' under 'Custom' mode.

I have heard that the tool is useless from many people, because they simply copy their Appdata folder, yeah it is frustrating, but if people fail to see that there is much more than files in the appdata dir, that it can be very comfatable to create diffferent kind of backups (full, only important config etc) then there is nothing I can do about.

But maybe knowing that there may will be automated backups from within Winamp would change the mind of some people:

Quote:
Added placeholder preferences page for a ‘backup / restore’ option using the Winamp Backup Tool

This is placed near the bottom of the list with ‘error feedback’ (if that has been / left enabled)
Work will be done later on this so that scheduled backups and some basic configuration of the tool can be done to help automate the backup process
Using the restore feature will require manual intervention to ensure it works
http://getwinamp.com/development.html
Old 11th April 2016, 08:23   #453
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Winamp Backup Tool v3.0 Beta 5:

http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/downlo...pToolSetup.zip

Quote:
Beta 5:

- fixed wrong backup path for some 3rd party plug-ins
- fixed missing restoration for FFSox input plugin config file
- fixed that DetailPrint in backup/restoration mode hasn't shown the 'Checking for running Winamp instances' text
- fixed that DetailPrint hasn't shown the selected mode anymore
- fixed that DetailPrint in restoration mode hasn't shown the the start time
- fixed several formatting issues in DetailPrint
- fixed that DetailPrint on top wasn't updating the current state correctly

Beta 4:

- [Log File] added description texts to the 'Task' columns additionally to the file names to make it more easy to identify the components
- [Log File] improved some texts in HTML report
- [Log File] made that multiple file listings (*.*) don't show the file name in 'Task' columns anymore (e.g MilkDrop presets)
- [Log File] made that the log file directly writes the file name based on the selected mode instead of renaming a generic file after backup/restoration job was done
- [Log File] made Backup Tool always writes a log file
- [Log File] prevented the tool from writing parts of the log file on init (log file writing now starts when the tool starts backup/restoration only)
- [Log File] vastly reduced the size of the gap on left/right side of the report in CSS to use more available screen space
- [Log File] renamed log files to 'Winamp_Backup_Tool_Backup_Log.html" and 'Winamp_Backup_Tool_Restoration_Log.html'
- [Log File] fixed that 'Successesful' status columns of 'Backup of Winamp Pro Reg Data' don't respect the correct background color
- [Log File] fixed that 'Checking for running Winamp instances' row doesn't write the correct HTML tags in all cases
- [Log File] fixed that 'Status' columns don't write the correct HTML tags in all cases
- [Log File] fixed some minor HTML code glitches
- added an info message box which shows relevant backup archive info from the Winamp_Backup_Tool.Integrity.winampbackup file to the 'Browse' button for backup file in restoration mode (WIP)
- made that Finish page will remember your selected options
- made that 'Open extended log file' in Finish pageis checked by default
- made backup file path in Restoration mode only inserts the last created backup file only as default and not the last used file for restoration anymore (makes more sense)
- changed GroupBox description text for backup file in Restoration path page
- removed obsolete Winamp Pro data check
- restructured the folder and file name system of the source code files
- fixed wrong section description text for 'Skins in folders' section
- fixed that previous setting for 'Skins in Folders' section wasn't remembered
- [Installer] improved the quality of the Welcome/Finsih page image
- [Installer] made installer cleans up obsolete log files in your config dir
Lots of new stuff, I think the new 'Task' columns make things much more easy.
Old 11th April 2016, 10:55   #454
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Beta 5 is now available which should fix all DetailPrint glitches.
Old 11th April 2016, 15:40   #455
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Beta 5 is now available which should fix all DetailPrint glitches.
I can confirm that the DetailPrint fixes work for me. I don't use the 3rd party plug-ins associated with the related fixes listed in the Beta 5 change log.

As for the improvements to the html log, I like the Task column and I'll take your word for the rest. I forgot to save a previous log for comparison and the sample you provided in post #456 is not available to me (due to changes you made to prevent hot links).

I didn't try Beta 4, but have a couple comments on the Beta 4 change log.

"- made backup file path in Restoration mode only inserts the last created backup file only as default and not the last used file for restoration anymore (makes more sense)"

I can confirm the last created file is listed, but there is still no check to see if the file actually exists in the listed location. Or is that what the following bullet is about?

"- added an info message box which shows relevant backup archive info from the Winamp_Backup_Tool.Integrity.winampbackup file to the 'Browse' button for backup file in restoration mode (WIP)"

"- removed obsolete Winamp Pro data check"

Not sure what this means, since the option to include the Pro data is still in the custom mode selections.

I agree with the following comment;

"I have heard that the tool is useless from many people, because they simply copy their Appdata folder, yeah it is frustrating, but if people fail to see that there is much more than files in the appdata dir, ..."

So, the messages on the restore mode panel above and below the box for selecting the root user data folder should be changed to somehow add or say that while this is the starting point, other program folders may be used during the restore/transfer process for specific files.

Old 11th April 2016, 15:58   #456
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
I can confirm that the DetailPrint fixes work for me. I don't use the 3rd party plug-ins associated with the related fixes listed in the Beta 5 change log.
Thanks for confirming.

Funny I had to fix the BP 3rd parties like in_bpopus.

Quote:
"- made backup file path in Restoration mode only inserts the last created backup file only as default and not the last used file for restoration anymore (makes more sense)"

I can confirm the last created file is listed, but there is still no check to see if the file actually exists in the listed location. Or is that what the following bullet is about?
The integrity check will verify the path when you press next. But I haven't forgotten you, I will verify the ini entry as well for next build.

Quote:
"- added an info message box which shows relevant backup archive info from the Winamp_Backup_Tool.Integrity.winampbackup file to the 'Browse' button for backup file in restoration mode (WIP)"

"- removed obsolete Winamp Pro data check"

Not sure what this means, since the option to include the Pro data is still in the custom mode selections.
The first you can see if you are using the browse button and select an archive. Then a messagebox appears and show you info. But this is now already obsolete since I'm working on:

2. I checked if Pro data is available on init before and was hidding the section if there was no pro data, but since the new log can show, if no data is available, that check wasn't needed anymore.
Old 11th April 2016, 16:16   #457
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Funny I had to fix the BP 3rd parties like in_bpopus.
Yeah, I was lucky that the paths for the thinktink plug-ins I do use where ok.

Thanks for the info clarifying the other things. I hope the special debug build will show what is causing ryerman's issues.

Old 11th April 2016, 16:44   #458
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
I used to have 7-zip, but because it was not being updated I switched to Bandzip
I almost did that, but since 7-zip was doing what I needed it to I didn't make the change (sort of like what I doing with Winamp). 7-zip was finally updated this past January, after several years of appearing to be abandoned.

Old 11th April 2016, 16:47   #459
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

7-Zip Alpha and Beta development was very active, I always used the available beta version which was working just fine.

I think Igor was just to lazzy to release a final version, hehe
Old 11th April 2016, 17:05   #460
ryerman
Major Dude

Hi Koopa
Quote:
Can you upload a log file when it failed? Your log file showed that it was working.
No, because it only fails when a log file is not produced.
That is why I included sceenshots (post #470) of the details pane.
They showed that it was not working. Which I confirmed by looking in the archive.
Now I wonder if you may have misunderstood my report.

I've now tried Ver 3.0.0.1842 (beta 5)
Eventually, it began working, although there were a few glitches at first:
-couldn't find the 7z command utility
-Windows "stopped working" message

Also, I was surprised to see the log file option, even though log files are no longer optional.
Now that the log is always produced, the backup always works correctly.
But that was always true.

Something else that seems strange:
Even though there are no files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Plugins\avs, the log shows this:
"Successful C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Plugins\avs\*.*"

For other empty folders, I see "Skipped No file(s) available for backup"

In the "Removing Empty Folders" section I see this:
"Removing Empty folder Successful C:\Users\ryerman\AppData\Local\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Plugins\avs"

This was also true for C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Icons when using Ver 3.0.0.1784 (beta 4) but now, with Ver 3.0.0.1842 (beta 5), it correctly shows "...No file(s)...".

Quote:
I can setup a debugg build next weekend for you, with some messages to see what is going on. Though I'm not sure if we find a reason, because I checked the copy macros several times.
I'm willing to try a debug build, just to satisfy curiosity.
But without the option to create a log file or not, the problem has disappeared.
It seems that it would be valuable to provide a debug version for beta 4, not beta 5.
But maybe you've moved past that now.

Old 11th April 2016, 17:19   #461
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Hi Koopa

No, because it only fails when a log file is not produced.
I can repeat what I said earlier, copy scripts have nothing to do with the log file creation.
Why it is working for you now? I have no idea, maybe because of sunspots?

Quote:
1. Will be only shown if 7za.exe is not present in the Backup Tool program folder.
2. The tool could crash, but it is impossible, that the tool provides a windows blue screen, then something else on your system isn't correct.

Quote:
Also, I was surprised to see the log file option, even though log files are no longer optional.
This is beta software, I still have a lot of things to do.
Quote:
Now that the log is always produced, the backup always works correctly.
But that was always true.
*shrugs*

Quote:
Something else that seems strange:
Even though there are no files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Plugins\avs, the log shows this:
"Successful C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\Plugins\avs\*.*"

For other empty folders, I see "Skipped No file(s) available for backup"
Yes I'm aware about it. The problem is that I do a file check:

-> no file is present it will show skipped

the problem is, that when I check e.g. for skins in folders, that the *.* check also returns a true value for the main folder.

So anything which does a *.* check has that glitch in log, anything which has a file extension e.g. *.milk will work correctly, I'm still working on a solution.

Quote:
In the "Removing Empty Folders" section I see this:
"Removing Empty folder Successful C:\Users\ryerman\AppData\Local\Temp\WinampBackupTemp\Plugins\avs"
That is expected and we did it that way years ago because of a WindowsXP bug, where file copy failed, if the target dir isn't present already.

That is the main reason for the 'Remove empty folders' section.
Old 11th April 2016, 17:31   #462
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
7-Zip Alpha and Beta development was very active, I always used the available beta version which was working just fine.

I think Igor was just to lazzy to release a final version, hehe
Winamp (and it's related apps) is 1 of the few programs I'm willing to use alpha or beta versions of. When looking for updates of most other stuff, I routinely filter out alpha and beta versions. I guess I need to stop that to know if anything is being done.

I said once before that I'm not a very good tester. The log and UI glitches ryerman reported are important for consistency sake. With BT, I usually focus on whether what I selected was backed up and/or restored and don't pay close attention to the rest if backup/restore works. I'll try to do better.

Old 11th April 2016, 17:43   #463
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:

Did you run the BT installer under administrator mode? Since Vista, I always run installers that way.

Old 11th April 2016, 17:52   #464
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
I can repeat what I said earlier, copy scripts have nothing to do with the log file creation.
Why it is working for you now? I have no idea, maybe because of sunspots?
I'd like to try a version with this change:
Quote:
- [Log File] prevented the tool from writing parts of the log file on init (log file writing now starts when the tool starts backup/restoration only)
but keep the option to write a log file.
And I don't mean to keep the option forever, but just as a debug test.

Quote:
1. Will be only shown if 7za.exe is not present in the Backup Tool program folder.
2. The tool could crash, but it is impossible, that the tool provides a windows blue screen, then something else on your system isn't correct.
1. So I guess the installer failed, or 7za.exe was not found even if it was there.
2. Sorry, I didn't mean a BSOD, just the "Backup Tool stopped working" message.

Old 11th April 2016, 18:03   #465
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:

That is expected and we did it that way years ago because of a WindowsXP bug, where file copy failed, if the target dir isn't present already.

That is the main reason for the 'Remove empty folders' section.
I think I asked if this was safe before. If I did, I don't remember the answer. Since the Winamp installer creates some of these empty folders, is it known for sure that they will be recreated if Winamp has a need to put something in them?

Last edited by Aminifu; 11th April 2016 at 19:15.
Old 11th April 2016, 18:33   #466
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Just re-enabled log file option and still cannot reproduce it (look at the attachment) I ran automatic backup mode, it doesn't matter if log option is enabled or not. *shrugs*
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	logissue.png
Views:	81
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	52351  
Old 11th April 2016, 18:38   #467
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Just re-enabled log file option and still cannot reproduce it (look at the attachment) I ran automatic backup mode, it doesn't matter if log option is enabled or not. *shrugs*
Right. But that was always the case on your system.
The question is "what happens on ryerman's system?"

Old 11th April 2016, 18:49   #468
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Before we play with debugg builds could you test if you can reproduce this with my internal build (which will be beta 6 later):

http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/downlo...tupRyerman.zip
Old 11th April 2016, 18:57   #469
Aminifu
Forum King

Hate to butt in, but does this mean you will be re-enabling the option to disable the log report in Beta 6?

I also forgot to mention an important detail about my playlists. I don't use internal playlists. So my Winamp playlists folder only contains 2 files (a main and a backup) each of which lists my external playlists that I keep in a folder external to the Winamp folder structure.

Old 11th April 2016, 19:35   #470
ryerman
Major Dude

Nope, I can't reproduce a failed backup, and that is good.
For the first time the backup was successful and no log was created when I opted to not create a log.
The playlist files were in the archive.
It's going to be very hard to now convince me that it was only my system at fault.

I still had to reinstall the tool (as administrator both times).

PS. I have to leave now for about 6 hours.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	can't find 7za.png
Views:	80
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	52352   Click image for larger version

Name:	no log and backup succeeds.png
Views:	76
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	52353  

Old 11th April 2016, 19:35   #471
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Hate to butt in, but does this mean you will be re-enabling the option to disable the log report in Beta 6
No

I already ripped out the option in the GUI and only re-added it so that ryerman could test it.
Old 11th April 2016, 19:38   #472
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Nope, I can't reproduce a failed backup, and that is good.
For the first time the backup was successful and no log was created when I opted to not create a log.
The playlist files were in the archive.
It's going to be very hard to now convince me that it was only my system at fault.

I still had to reinstall the tool (as administrator both times).

PS. I have to leave now for about 6 hours.
I don't want to blame your system, but I don't understand it. Need to see what excatly I changed between the build which failed for you and the build now, maybe I find the reason.
Old 11th April 2016, 19:45   #473
Aminifu
Forum King

I don't see the "7za.dll" in ryerman's screenshot and there is no date column. I have both the .exe and .dll files, dated 31-12-2015. Aren't both files needed?

Edit:
Then again I guess not. After checking each files properties, I remembered that I copied them there when I got the January 7-zip update and the latest BT installer only updated the .exe file.

Old 11th April 2016, 19:49   #474
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
I don't see the "7za.dll" in ryerman's screenshot and there is no date column. I have both the .exe and .dll files, dated 31-12-2015. Aren't both files needed?
Only 7za.exe is needed.
Old 11th April 2016, 19:54   #475
Aminifu
Forum King

Yeah, sorry. I just figured that out. See the edit to my previous post.

Old 11th April 2016, 19:56   #476
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

No need for sorry.

7za.exe has basic zip/7z (de)compression.

If you want more file formats, or if you want to set different compression levels, you need 7z.dll too.
Old 11th April 2016, 20:00   #477
Aminifu
Forum King

Ok, good luck comparing the 2 builds. Maybe you will find something.

Old 12th April 2016, 11:33   #478
ryerman
Major Dude

Hi Aminifu
Quote:
I also forgot to mention an important detail about my playlists. I don't use internal playlists. So my Winamp playlists folder only contains 2 files (a main and a backup) each of which lists my external playlists that I keep in a folder external to the Winamp folder structure.
That sounds like you mean "playlists.xml" and "playlists.xml.backup" are the only files in %APPDATA%\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml\playlists.
Is it true that there are no plf????.m3u8 files?

Are there any playlists shown in Winamp's Library navigation pane?

Old 12th April 2016, 16:21   #479
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Hi Aminifu

That sounds like you mean "playlists.xml" and "playlists.xml.backup" are the only files in %APPDATA%\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml\playlists.

Yes and yes. The current version of Winamp allows you to use external playlists directly, instead of letting it make internal copies with those alpha-numeric names. There are pros and cons to this approach, if you use Winamp to make playlists that are saved to an external folder and later imported to the library, instead of internal playlists that are saved directly in the library.

The biggest con is if you use Winamp to delete the playlist from the library panel, the actual external playlist is also deleted (but you can get it back from the recycle bin; easy if you have Winamp set to put deleted files in the recycle bin, harder if you have to use a recovery app to get it back). Deleting an internal playlist has no affect on the external playlist it was made from.

The biggest pro is that changes made to an external playlist are immediately reflected in the library. You don't need to delete the internal library playlist (made from the original external playlist) and re-import the edited external playlist. Another plus is that you can use playlists made by other apps. I use an app that makes playlists based on a 'seed' file (like the obsolete Gracenote supported feature, only better) and import them to Winamp.

Old 12th April 2016, 17:37   #480
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Quote:
Yes and yes.
That means that when you tried to reproduce the failure I've been talking about, the conditions were not the same as I described.
I guess I was right to worry about some misunderstanding. I should have been clearer.

The .XML and .XML.BACKUP files were always backed up. It was only 4 of 5 .M3U8 files that were missed.
It would be interesting to see what happens if you tried to reproduce the failure with beta 3 or beta 4, and you had 5 internal .M3U8 files.
I'd be especially interested in the 3rd of 4 runs, where I saw a log file created even though the option is de-selected.
If the problem exists, it's the 4th run that fails to backup all the .M3U8 files.

Quote:
The current version of Winamp allows you to use external playlists directly, instead of letting it make internal copies with those alpha-numeric names.
Would you please give me instructions on how to do that.
Every time I import a playlist so that it shows up in the "Playlists" folder of the Library, an .M3U8 file is also created in %APPDATA%\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml\playlists.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
backup, database, library, lost, restoration, restore, settings