Old 13th April 2011, 16:49   #1
ralf12

Format converter - Cannot find decoder

I am trying to use the format converter to change the bit rate of some audio books that I have on MP3.

I know that I have this before, but now when I try, I get an error of cannot find decoder.

I know that I have upgraded to the latest (5.61) of Winamp Pro before I had this issue.

I don't remember what version I was running when it worked.
ralf12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 18:12   #2
ralf12

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 18th April 2011, 22:00   #3
JonnyMac

Please provide a List of Plugins, via the One for Nunz plugin. Instructions and download for the Nunz plugin are provided in the link.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 15:53   #4
ralf12

Here is the output.
Attached Files
File Type: txt my_plugin_list.txt (22.0 KB, 525 views)
Old 19th April 2011, 22:47   #5
JonnyMac

That error message may indicate incompatible input plug-in, but that usually happens with third party plug-ins. Also, it could indicate the file you trying to convert from, is a format that Winamp does not natively support. You did say the files are MP3, correct?
Old 19th April 2011, 23:14   #6
ralf12

Yes, I am just trying to change the bit rate of some mp3's.
Old 19th April 2011, 23:58   #7
JonnyMac

Sorry, I can't see what is causing the issue. Anyone else?
Old 20th April 2011, 16:54   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hi

What is SendTo v0.2 plugin (gen_sendto.dll)?
Does it replicate/replace Winamp's Send To menu maybe?

Could you possibly upload a sample mp3 to any of sendspace.com, dropbox.com or mediafire.com?

Also, right-click one of these audiobook mp3's in Winamp's playlist and select 'View File Info' (Alt+3)...
What is the format, sample rate & bitrate etc (under 'Format Info')?
e.g.
MPEG-1 layer 3
192 kbps, approx. 5234 frames
44100 Hz Stereo

What format are you trying to Transcode to?
ie. when you use: Send to > Format Converter,
what are the "MP3 Encoder Options" (Quality, mode, etc)?

Also, copy+paste here what you've got in the "Specify naming scheme:" field.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 06:56   #9
amillionbytes

Hey Ralf. I've got a similar error but in a slightly different scenario.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=329422
Can I ask you if all these are true?

a) Are you using Windows 7 or Vista?
b) Is Windows Media Sharing turned on?
c) Are you converting into a folder monitored by Windows Media Sharing?

When I rip into such a folder (after a lot of digging) it turns out Winamp will *sometimes* EITHER fail to create the target file properly OR come up with the Decoder error.

If your scenario is the same as mine it'd be good to put it in the same bug report.
amillionbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:11   #10
ralf12

I am running Windows XP.

I did get a chance to do some more testing, I got another audio book that I wanted to change the bit rate on, and that one works, so it appears to be something with those files. I will copy them again and try it to see if it was just related to that wet of MP3's.
Old 4th November 2013, 23:12   #11
GillWeary

I hope this thread isn't considered "dead"... I've been having the same problem for quite a while now (might even have been 2011) & just haven't tried too hard to fix it since I have another computer that converts just fine, but it's starting to get on my nerves after all this time - especially after I completely uninstalled WinAmp, eradicated its folder, obliterated everything "temp" I could find, and only THEN reinstalled. (Though I clearly didn't get everything, since it immediately recognized me & even knew my registration code. I miss the old days when uninstalling was easy...)

Anyway, in my case I get the "cannot find decoder" message every time I try to use the file converter to make mp3s. It doesn't matter if I started with mp3 & just changing the bitrate, or converting from another format. It doesn't seem to matter what mp3 format settings I use; I've tried a wide range with no effect. But it converts to all the other formats I've got around to trying without a single complaint.

I tried hunting the plug-in & add-on areas for another mp3 encoder that might work, but couldn't find any. I'm not sure whether there's some kind of shared codec that I need to fix or what. It USED to convert with no problems, until a couple of years ago. & keep in mind that it happily plays mp3s for me all the time, and rips CDs to mp3 format very nicely too. It's just the format converter that chokes.

Did you guys ever find a solution, or is this thing still a mystery?
GillWeary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 23:31   #12
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi GillWeary,

Do you have "lame_enc.dll" and "enc_lame.dll" in your Winamp/Plugins folder? Since the conversion used to work, you may have a missing or corrupt file in your installation.

It may also be helpful to use the Winamp Info Tool v4.2 Beta 3 (link below) to make an extended report of your Winamp configuration. Zip the report and use the advanced reply editor to attach the zip file to a post.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=328932

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 10:55   #13
ToddBMarshall

Cannot find decoder

In my case I found that the error message is inappropriate. What it can't find is the source file. It finds the decoder just fine.

My problem arose with changing of a thumb drive. The play list I was using as a source referenced input files that were on the replaced thumb drive (and thus couldn't be found).

I'm reporting this to "technical support".
ToddBMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2017, 18:24   #14
Wodd

I am encountering this error while trying to convert RMI files to other formats. I have a freshly installed copy of Winamp 5.666, revision 3516. Note: I do have both lame_enc.dll and enc_lame.dll in the Plugins folder.
Wodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support