Old 11th June 2005, 23:20   #1
DJShowerGel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10
Send a message via AIM to DJShowerGel Send a message via Yahoo to DJShowerGel
Media Library incorrectly importing song info

Around 5.08 and releases since, the Media Library has stopped importing ID3 information from the MP3s in my library and only imports via the "Smart" guessing option in the Metadata Reading Settings dialog box.

Things I've tried to resolve the problem (and failed):
1) Erased the entire media library database and redetected the info from the songs
2) Same as #1 but changed the Metadata Reading Settings to not read media information upon import, rescanned my library, saw the result was identical to #1, deleted the library again, changed the settings back to allow reading of media info, and rescanned the library. Identical results.

Things to know:
I've only used LAME 3.95 or LAME 3.97 alpha 10 to create all the MP3s in my library at 256kbit and "insane" quality. There are ID3 v1.1 and ID3 v2.3.0 tags with 4KB padding in every song I own. The encoding commandline has not been modified for nearly 2 years now. Problem is *not* LAME specific, I've downloaded a few MP3s to see if the behavior was the same from random encoders and it is-- at least on my PC.

I can place the change to roughly March - so whatever version was releaed around that time is where the change occurred. I'll be manually deleting Winamp from my drive and registry (after uninstallation) and reinstall and post my findings. Thanks for any advice or comments. Searching for an answer didn't help me much.

DJ Showergel

Last edited by DJShowerGel; 12th June 2005 at 00:02.
DJShowerGel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2005, 00:01   #2
DJShowerGel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10
Send a message via AIM to DJShowerGel Send a message via Yahoo to DJShowerGel
UPDATE:

Uninstalled 5.092 and manually removed any remnants in the Program Files folder and the Windows registry. Reinstalled 5.092, set up the watchfolders, scanned my library, and the problem persisted.

I found and installed a copy of 5.07 and set up my watchfolders, and watched in amazement as everything worked as it should have. This may be a bug - can anyone else confirm this so I can post in the bug forum?

DJ Showergel
DJShowerGel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2005, 02:26   #3
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.
 
billyvnilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Detroit burbs
Posts: 3,379
Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
cannot reproduce, and trust me, others would have noticed

make sure: winamp preferences > media library > watch folders tab > configure > read meta tags is CHECKED
billyvnilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2005, 09:25   #4
DJShowerGel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10
Send a message via AIM to DJShowerGel Send a message via Yahoo to DJShowerGel
Quote:
Originally posted by billyvnilly
make sure: winamp preferences > media library > watch folders tab > configure > read meta tags is CHECKED [/B]
Yes, It has been active. I documented above that I had turned the read meta tags function off, cleared out the database, rescanned media, noticed the "smart" feature was in action (again, despite the fact that reading meta data was turned off), cleared out the database again, turned the read meta function on again, rescanned media, and the resulting library was identical to when the meta feature was turned off (i.e. winamp didn't attempt read the ID3 v1/2 tags, it only used the "smart" method).

Since I've verified that 5.07 works correctly I'm going clear out the database and put all but one folder in the watch folders then try an upgrade to 5.092 and see what happens then (so I can compare the result when I add the last folder and rescan). This is ultimately frustrating, lol.
DJShowerGel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2005, 17:44   #5
DJShowerGel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10
Send a message via AIM to DJShowerGel Send a message via Yahoo to DJShowerGel
Figured I would close this up. I'm unable to find all the installers for the versions of Winamp I've upgraded from between April and now- and thus it's become impossible to fully (accurately) reproduce the problem I've experienced other than what I've listed above.

Occasionally the problem shows up and ID3s are not scanned properly - maybe one album out of 278 shows up wrong and eventually after deleting the "bad" entry and rescanning, it will fix itself. Quite a bugger.
DJShowerGel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2005, 06:56   #6
DJShowerGel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10
Send a message via AIM to DJShowerGel Send a message via Yahoo to DJShowerGel
Following up on this problem I believe that starting in 5.09, something changed and my symptoms were part of the following bugfixes:

problem was fixed in 5.092:

* Fixed: Media Library/Windows Media scanning errors

and updated in 5.093:

* Fixed: Media Library problems with parentheses/brackets in artist or album names

No problems since 5.092. Knew it wasn't me!
DJShowerGel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2005, 13:57   #7
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.
 
billyvnilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Detroit burbs
Posts: 3,379
Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
billyvnilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump