Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions

View Poll Results: What do you think of graffiti?
I love it, amazing art form. I want to see it everywhere 4 18.18%
Usually very cool, but I don't like seeing it all over the place. Keep it at home. 5 22.73%
Eh, It's ok. I don't like it, don't hate it. Sometimes it's interesting 5 22.73%
I hate Graffiti; it's not art, it's vandalism. Get that crap out of here. 8 36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th March 2007, 05:23   #1
squakMix
wwwyzzerdd
(Forum King)

Graffiti

What's your opinion on Graffiti? Anybody good at drawing the stuff?

Last edited by squakMix; 28th March 2007 at 06:05.
squakMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 06:40   #2
Captain_Hero

I'd have to say that I do draw & I have been guilty of graffiti when I was a kid. Most of it is not art but sometimes you can find beauty in the chaos. This question is just like the debate between Porography being art.
Captain_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 06:48   #3
mikm
Major Dude

Most of the stuff I see stupid vandalism. I think artsy graffiti is pretty cool.

powered by C₈H₁₀N₄O₂
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 06:49   #4
Captain_Hero

I think that the artsy graffiti is very rare though.
Old 28th March 2007, 09:20   #5
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Mindless graffiti sucks donkey dick, much like the mindless mowrons who spray it everywhere, couple of weeks ago I drew back my curtains at 7 in the morning to find my front window spray painted, along with just about every other house in the neighbourhood, see attached pic of the car of one of my neighbours.

I catch any hoodie wearing pikey chav scum near my house with a tin of spray in his hand, he will find out what it feels like to have a spray paint tin inserted up his anus....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00197.jpg (61.4 KB, 344 views)
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 09:26   #6
Captain_Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
....he will find out what it feels like to have a spray paint tin inserted up his anus....
Ouch...that just might sting abit. Whats the deal with "Police" written on that car? Is the owner a copper?
Old 28th March 2007, 09:28   #7
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

I dunno, I'm not a mindless hoodie wearing pikey chav scum type person....
Old 28th March 2007, 09:35   #8
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Somebody translate this, "hoodie wearing pikey chav", please.. I got most of it!
Oh, Basquiat started on walls. I liked some of his work.

Ok...anybody
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 09:44   #9
Captain_Hero

Quote:
I dunno, I'm not a mindless hoodie wearing pikey chav scum type person....
I actually could grasp that notion; I was assuming that their graffiti had a regional or social statment that was common knowledge in the area. Where I live when someone puts something on a wall it actually represents something like a gang etc. I've never been in as gang but as a member of the community, I know what point the individule is trying to make. I would assume that someone might have gotten in trouble resently in your hood & might have been taking it out on the neighbors. Either that are there's a odd gang of people calling themselves the police. Oh well, piss on it.
Old 28th March 2007, 09:47   #10
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Hoodie = hooded sweatshirt type item of clothing, favoured by young people who like to get up to no good because you can hide your face in them

Pikey = Rough, gypsy like person, like to live in caravans, travel around the place causing a nuisance

Chav = again, aimed at the 16 - 20 something age group, like to wear burberry caps, trainers, general leisure wear, lots of bling, like to hang around in packs outside corner stores, drinking cheap cider, smoking ciggies when most of them are not old enough to shave let alone smoke

Put all 3 together, general scum of the earth, most of them get served with ASBO (Anti Social Behaviour Orders), most of them wear it like a badge of honour
Old 28th March 2007, 09:49   #11
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Is a pikey a "Gypsey"? and what's a chav?
Before the "Downtown Chinese Tong" painted their "tag" signs everywhere, some "Downtown Wall Art" was very cool!
Some of the Tags Signs are rather cool, but it looks like crap when it's plastered all over!
Old 28th March 2007, 09:52   #12
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain_Hero
I actually could grasp that notion; I was assuming that their graffiti had a regional or social statment that was common knowledge in the area. Where I live when someone puts something on a wall it actually represents something like a gang etc. I've never been in as gang but as a member of the community, I know what point the individule is trying to make. I would assume that someone might have gotten in trouble resently in your hood & might have been taking it out on the neighbors. Either that are there's a odd gang of people calling themselves the police. Oh well, piss on it.
Dunno really, guess it was a Blue car, which kind of looks like a cop car either that it was some humorous social commentary by them that I didn't grasp.

Other works of art included giant love hearts, lots of big X's, giant cocks (non hen variety), FOXWOOD RULES!! (name of the local cess pit where most of these mowrons come from.

I got off lightly most of mine scraped off with a bit of elbow grease and meths, I'd have been a mushroom cloud laying mutha fucka however if they'd sprayed my car...
Old 28th March 2007, 09:57   #13
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

So what's a chav? And, Jones, even though you left me for that exotic beauty in you avatar, don't take Meth. Look what happened to Anna Nicole..just think about it...
What?
Old 28th March 2007, 09:59   #14
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:

Chav = again, aimed at the 16 - 20 something age group, like to wear burberry caps, trainers, general leisure wear, lots of bling, like to hang around in packs outside corner stores, drinking cheap cider, smoking ciggies when most of them are not old enough to shave let alone smoke

http://www.chavscum.co.uk/
Old 28th March 2007, 10:02   #15
Captain_Hero

Thing are very different where you live. I guessing their all retard. I guess their trying to capture the spirit of "Punk" that ran rampent 30 some odd year ago. Your probably old enought to remember that during its hay day. Was it worse then or now in the UK?
Old 28th March 2007, 10:08   #16
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Woah, cool page!..Sorta like thugs..little different!
Old 28th March 2007, 10:16   #17
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

To be honest, it's probably worse now than it was back in the late 70's, I'm old enough to remember the punk movement back in 77, but not old enough to have taken part.

Yes, we still had graffiti back then, yes we still had social problems, but now they just seem worse and for the life of me I don't know why that would be.

Everybody has a view on who is to blame for the social problems of the day, 'it's the parent's fault' 'it's the schools fault' 'it's the governements faults'

I'd fall on the side of the parents, there is an undercurrent of general apathy from certain areas of society, you'll always find unemployed layabouts who like nothing better than to sit on their arses all day watching daytime tv and breeding more kids, it's easier for them to sit back and rake in the benefits while hard working fools like me go out and pay my taxes, and in general if you are layabout oaf who cares about little other than where your next pack of cigs and beers is coming from your kids usually end up the same way.

Course, you could then say 'the government makes it easy for you to get benefits and so on' so apathy creates apathy, and you'd probably be right.

What you do also find is this undercurrent of people always tend to get shoved into one area of town, state provided houses etc etc, so when you group them together then you start to get group mentality, packs of kids hanging around, and when kids hang around and get bored with life and high on drink/drugs, then what better to do than go causing mischief, usually into decent neighbourhoods.

I fear no matter where you would go in the UK, you would somewhere find one of these 'areas' nearby.

Was it like that back in the day?, I don't think so, I grew up through the 70's / 80's, I was a teenager during these times, you didn't find me hanging around shops huffing glue, breaking windows, spraying graffiti, I was brought up better, my parents both worked hard for what they had, my parents parents were the same, so those values get passed onto me.

Solution?, don't have one, except maybe chemical castration for the long term unemployed....
Old 28th March 2007, 10:42   #18
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

It's just a thought, but most times "Projects" as most Public Housing is calld here or Section 8(which is little different because some poor, elderly and disabled can get that) are usually let to run down. No garbage pick up and they paint ..never.. some places in the winter can't get heat or hot water..rats everywhere..and they charge the government a fortune. The people who own these places(Slum Lords) are rich bastards that rape the government and screw over the poor. If one grow up in one of those projects , it must be hard to see a way out other than drug dealing, number running, or some other "fun" activity.
I don't have an answer.
Old 28th March 2007, 10:47   #19
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
13-year-old-kid-with-spraycan-graffiti = shit that deserves an ass kicking.

Banksy = art form

An example of Banksy's artwork on the Palestinian side of the Israeli West Bank barrier.

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 10:49   #20
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Hmmm Titled "Rock Boy".... I like it!
Old 28th March 2007, 10:59   #21
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Widdykats
It's just a thought, but most times "Projects" as most Public Housing is calld here or Section 8(which is little different because some poor, elderly and disabled can get that) are usually let to run down. No garbage pick up and they paint ..never.. some places in the winter can't get heat or hot water..rats everywhere..and they charge the government a fortune. The people who own these places(Slum Lords) are rich bastards that rape the government and screw over the poor. If one grow up in one of those projects , it must be hard to see a way out other than drug dealing, number running, or some other "fun" activity.
I don't have an answer.
Not like that here as the 'council' houses as they are know are owned the by the local city councils, they are maintained 100%, in fact they are probably better maintained than most privately owned houses...

For example...my house, well garage, suffered a leaky roof, caused just by general wear and tear / age etc, basically it had worn out.....

To fix that I had to buy several hundred £'s worth of materials, get a couple of friends around (pay them some ££ for helping) and then spend all day busting my ass fixing it up, either that or pay over the odds for a builder to come and do it for me, but I'm practical I can do this stuff myself so might as well save a few coins...

If I'd lived in a council house, I would have phoned (toll free) the council, told them my garage roof was fucked, they'd have sent a team of men around with materials and fixed it at no cost to me!, all the while I sit back raking in my benefits.

Only difference is, the house is mine I can do what I like, sell it when I like, but if your used to living in council houses and your happy with that, why should you give a shit?

The local councils make it too easy for people, to the detriment all the mugs like me.

(It should be noted however the councils do more than just run the housings in town, they also provide many other essential services to everyone, garbage collection and so on)

So I wonder where I went wrong in life? maybe I should have been a layabout expecting the world owed me a living instead of a hard working citizen.

And that's what really gets my goat, the mowrons who sprayed my neighbourhood all come from a council estate, you can tell from the messages they left, so they come from their own scum hole into a decent area where all the houses are privately owned to do their thang, you know, they'd never shit on their own doorsteps, much more fun to do it someones who has to pay for the honour of living there...
Old 28th March 2007, 11:03   #22
Captain_Hero

Quote:
..Was it like that back in the day?, I don't think so, I grew up through the 70's / 80's, I was a teenager during these times, you didn't find me hanging around shops huffing glue, breaking windows, spraying graffiti, I was brought up better, my parents both worked hard for what they had, my parents parents were the same, so those values get passed onto me.
I envy you, I grew up in the 80's/90's with parents that depended off the goverment & any relitive that would offer a hand out. That type of lifestyle brought me more shame then it did them. I've scratched & suffered to get where I am today not because of good up bring or values, but because those were the things that I had longed for. Now that I'm sucessful guess who wants the hand out from me. My bloody parents (well my mom; my dad died almost two years ago.) After all those stinking years that they told me that I'd fail like they did here I am.
Old 28th March 2007, 18:14   #23
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

I think graffiti (the art form) is one of the best art forms.

I just hate how simply spraying your name on a wall got connected to the word.
That's pure vandalism and gives a bad name to normal graffiti.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 19:31   #24
S-uper_T-oast
Forum King

Artistic graffiti = good (something I try and do)
Kid graffiti = really fucking stupid and annoying
Gang graffiti = even more really fucking stupid (the kid graffiti at least has a chance of being humorous, this stuff is just like pissing on a wall)
S-uper_T-oast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 20:31   #25
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
The vast majority is complete crap.

Some true masterpieces are out there, but normally end up covered over by crap.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 21:22   #26
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
chav is to england as wigger is to america
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 23:35   #27
squakMix
wwwyzzerdd
(Forum King)

I'm pretty much in the same boat with you all; Well thought out graffiti done by skilled artists is usually amazing, but childish destruction of property is annoying and stupid.

It pisses me off that the two are even grouped together. Graffiti as an art form has limitless potential for self expression and development of modern art, but it's often being held down by those that associate the word "Graffiti" with random, pointless, childish vandalism. I think that modern graffiti is one of the most recent evolutions of art, and I don't think it's going to just disappear any time soon.

That being said, I don't condone even good graffiti being sprayed on buildings or in parks without permission. What I want to see is more commissioned public pieces done by professional artists.
Old 29th March 2007, 00:14   #28
S-uper_T-oast
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by squakMix
That being said, I don't condone even good graffiti being sprayed on buildings or in parks without permission. What I want to see is more commissioned public pieces done by professional artists.
And the problem arises... graffiti as a cultural thing is inherently anti-professional and anti-authority. Half of the art form is out doing your fellow taggers by getting bigger and better places to tag. One of the key aspects of it is making the most ornate and complex tag in as short of a time as possible to keep from being caught. The concept of selling out like that is greatly looked down upon in many circles (like many other sub-cultures).
S-uper_T-oast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 03:52   #29
squakMix
wwwyzzerdd
(Forum King)

Mm, I think it depends highly on where you live. For example, here in seattle, professional graffiti murals are commonplace. I don't see it as a contest/competition thing here, but more of an art/expression thing.
Old 29th March 2007, 04:11   #30
Captain_Hero

Funny we were having this discusion I had to make a notation in my managment report. It reads the folowing:

During the second shift security found that the bathroom stall in the ballroom had been defaced. Apparently someone went in to handicap stall in the men’s room & CARVED “F*ck the Menger” with a giant penis above the words. When I surveyed the scene I found that all the employee entrances wide open & the public access locked. Security had checked the bathrooms earlier in the shift when banquets were setting up the prefunction area & did not find the graffiti, but found it hours after they had finished. It is easy to say that an employee was responsible for the vandalism, but hard to say whom the individual was. After the discovery was made I had security lock all doors to the ballroom & advised them to make random rounds in that area.
Old 30th March 2007, 20:13   #31
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

I hate the black names of some vandalism guys, but if there are great colurfull pictures made with skill, i like it. its interesting when you travel by train to see how the graffiti gets less and less the farer you go from the station. the most of it is ugly, but sometimes there are nice pictures. something like this:
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2007, 06:15   #32
Captain_Hero

Those boots do not go with that dress. UGLY
Old 31st March 2007, 19:40   #33
psycho_maniac
Major Dude

We have a wall holding up a hill. Every year the seniors paint it. Its pretty cool when your doing it for 3 years. I have friends in every grade in my school and I live right by the wall. Thats the only graffiti I will do. Doing it on the car window is just dumb. If i do stuff to people I make sure it will come off. Then its funny for both of you and you can both laugh at it without knowing somebody wants to kick your ass.
psycho_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2007, 22:54   #34
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain_Hero
Those boots do not go with that dress. UGLY
not my work. Google.
Old 1st April 2007, 05:16   #35
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

I like the grafitti when it's clever or interesting. Not when it's writing "I'm a douchebag" on electrical boxes near train tracks.

Has anyone ever been on a long train ride? Have you ever noticed that anything near a railroad is vandalized not once but several times? Like the two foot cylinder of concrete that juts from an embankment no one sees but passengers going by in a train at a steady seventy miles an hour. Are you proud, asshole? Now for a fleeting second, your scribble was burned on someones retinas and immediately lost in their memory like a dirty diaper in a choppy sea.

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 02:31   #36
Captain_Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by P$ycHoâ„¢
not my work. Google.
Where do you work,the corner of Broadway & Vine St.? how much for a Cleveland Steamer?
Old 2nd April 2007, 03:03   #37
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
I'm not crazy about grafiti

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 19:41   #38
Captain_Hero

That looks like the gangbanger's wrighting
Old 3rd April 2007, 20:02   #39
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z, X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut.
-Albert Einstein

He was clever!
But i like E=m*c^2 more.
Old 3rd April 2007, 20:04   #40
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I'd like to snap your head off and use your body to write graffiti on a brickwall.

Why, you may ask?

I like red paint.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions