Old 30th August 2004, 17:26   #1
schmoebot5000

Live streaming of DVD's / AVI's

Hey team,

I've done some digging here and eslewhere and have not found what I'm looking for either in NSV for another format:

Other than video cap from a console DVD player or other source, is there any known way to stream DVD's or AVI files LIVE? Currently the source AVI or DVD has to be encoded into NSV beforehand in order to obtain a reasonable broadband internet bitrate.

While I realize this places higher CPU demand for decoding the source and then live-encoding into NSV/mp3 (or another format if nothing is available for NSV) - the CPU demands should not be too high to where a (currently) typical 2.5ghz machine could not handle it. The target bitrates I'm shooting for is around 150kbps for video and 56kbps for joint stereo LAME mp3 audio.

So far, the only solutions I can find won't recode the file - they just stream it.

---Typical Schmoe
schmoebot5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2004, 18:35   #2
ken52787
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to ken52787
I have no idea about DVDs, but for live streaming of avis, just use nsvenc and output to the server rather than a file. Run nsvenc without any switches and it'll tell you how to do this.

NSV downloads
An in-depth step by step guide for newbies, coming soon.
ken52787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2004, 23:32   #3
Germ
rules all things

VLC Media Player
Germ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2004, 22:05   #4
schmoebot5000

Thanks, I'll check out VLC and report back. Did not see a way to set output in NSVate - appears the GUI is only designed for file output. VLC looks promising.

Ken, I saw the link to your GUI, but could not find the DOWNLOAD link
Old 31st August 2004, 22:08   #5
schmoebot5000

Ken - scratch that. The link I spoke of was from an old forum posting which described the GUI but did not have a download link. There's a clear one on the link you gave
Old 1st September 2004, 20:32   #6
schmoebot5000

VLC is EXCELLENT. This is just what I was looking for. About the only thing I would change would be more options for the codecs, and to use the installed Windows codecs, but I understand it was written to be cross -platform which I also applaud. Too bad it doesn't support NSV streaming - at least that I can intially see - I imagine there's a way to get that going. UDP unicast seems to fit our needs perfectly.

An impressive thing I noticed as that while my DSL up speed is 896kbps, NSV/Shoutcast would only dish out around 224kbps peak, while the UDP cast seems limited only by my line speed, so the quality of the stream is MUCH better, since 512kbps video / 128kbps audio seems to work well. - could be TCP limitations by Qwest, I dunno.

Anyways, that's my initial report. I'd love to hear from anyone who has been able to get it to stream NSV.
Old 1st September 2004, 23:07   #7
Jay
Moderator Alumni

VLC supports NSV streaming as long as the stream is using a known codec like VP3 not VP62.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast TV / Nullsoft Video