Old 21st December 2008, 21:44   #1
Graham2008

Winamp does not play music

Can somebody help me? I am a Winamp Pro user with a problem: Winamp has stopped being able to play my playlists or albums, it just cycles through the tracks at high speed on the screen. I have a large collection of music/playlists, its taken a year to build it up and rip my CD’s. Now nothing plays at all. Tried upgrading to latest version, but this did not fix the problem. Have tried reading all the forums, FAQ etc and searching, but nothing seems to cover this.
Graham2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2008, 21:55   #2
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Have you moved you music files to another directory? If so, the pathes in your playlist files are no longer valid.

Also, is it possible, that you mistakenly checked Nullsoft Diskwriter in Plugins --> Output instead of DirectSound?
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 12:58   #3
Graham2008

Hi Koopertrouper

Thanks for your reply. I have no idea what caused this, but certainly I have not changed the path or location of the music directory etc. I may have pressed something by accident - what exactly is Nullsoft Diskwriter in Plugins and how do I get to it?

I did not fully elaborate on this in my ititial post, but it started just with one Playlist which I had been listening to, then when I tried to listen to it again the next day this behavior commenced. I initially tried other Playlists and they were fine. In order to correct this original problem I deleted and re created the playlist. Then all was fine for a while then over night or between listening sessions the same problem is evident on every playlist. This is my big concern - I have about 38 Gb of music and it took months of downloading MP3s and ripping all my CD's to build this up. Then from this bse I have compiled mny other compilation Playlists.

Graham
Old 24th December 2008, 23:09   #4
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
N.B. I have seen your other posts too.

The diskwriter is exactly what it sounds like, an output plugin for dumping files to disk. You "get to it" via Prefs -> Plugins -> Output and make sure that it isn't selected.

Are your files still in the same location as when you added them to the library or playlists? If you navigate to the folder where they are stored, do they still play when you double click on them? Does the path of these files match where your library/playlist thinks it is?

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2008, 06:47   #5
Graham2008

Hi and thanks for trying to help.

Winamp is a mystery to me by and large, but I can confirm that all my music files are in the same place as they have always been - I have not moved them. I can play the MP3 files in Windows Media Player and I found my Playlist file last night and had a look inside, but I do not know what a Playlist file should look like so I am attaching a small section of the front part here.......

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16" ?>
- <playlists playlists="547">
<playlist filename="plfE299.m3u8" title="8mm - Opener" id="{61BB5F2E-80D8-4003-A55B-24E2DE237BC6}" songs="6" seconds="1501" />
<playlist filename="plf51BD.m3u8" title="10 CC - I'm Not In Love" id="{D1D5DDF3-026F-40A1-B06A-25E2DC167544}" songs="1" seconds="361" />
<playlist filename="plfC65E.m3u8" title="Addicted Circus Featuring The Circus - Beautiful" id="{6006D7CC-EB7A-43DB-9711-DEE9EBA2B3BA}" songs="7" seconds="2550" />
<playlist filename="plf1B6.m3u8" title="Air - Modulor (Ltd. Ed. UK E.P.)" id="{0ACE0AD3-74E5-41E3-A94E-B0297732B740}" songs="3" seconds="1125" />
<playlist filename="plf7FF7.m3u8" title="Air - Moon Safari" id="{7218FFE1-C44E-48B6-9947-B6C558F48AA5}" songs="10" seconds="2604" />

Does this look like a normal Playlist file to you guys? The path to my music files is E:\Datastore\private\music, but that path does not appear in the Playlist? I am looking at playlist.xml is that correct?

I had a look for the Plugin you both mentioned and the highlite bar is on Nullsoft Directsound Output, so if I understand correctly thats as it should be.

Thinking back this happened after I tried to burn a new CD and Winamp crashed during the burn operation, does this have any bearing on this.
Old 25th December 2008, 09:52   #6
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
No, that is not a playlist, that is playlists.xml. If you had read it you would have seen: playlist filename="plfE299.m3u8" <- That is the playlist

Sorry, then I said "the folder where they are stored" I mean the files, the audio files, not the playlist files. You need to check the path of these files against what the playlist(s) thinks they are.

No, I don't think that CD burning related issues will affect this.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2008, 10:54   #7
Graham2008

Hi again and thanks for persevering with this.....

I now understand better and have hundreds of individual Playlist files. I have tried to look inside these actual playlist files to confirm the path, but I cannot open them, when I try WinAmp just opens. I downloaded a new album today and created a playlist and that runs fine. So in theory I can compare the working playlist with the non working ones, but what can I use to look inside them?
Old 25th December 2008, 17:21   #8
Graham2008

Hi again

Ok, many thanks for the pointers, which helped me to at least find out why this problem is happening. So I could look inside the individual playlist files I downloaded a Hex Editor and was imediatly able to see that the drive letter in the path to the music file folder has changed in all 500 or so Playlists and of course for every track in the Playlists. How this has come about is a mystery to me? The new Playlists I created today as a trail have a drive and path of "F:\DATA STORE\MUSIC", while the 500 or so Playlists that no longer work have a drie and path thus "E:\DATA STORE\MUSIC" I am pretty sure teh physical drive used to be "F:\". On this subject I also notice that I have lost my "D:\" CD drive completely. The last time I loaded Winamp I tried to rip a CD and noticed it was not listed, but its not available at all! I am running my system with a USB hub and the music is on on an external large hard drive. The last time I used the "D:\" CD Writer/reader drive was in Winamp to try and rip a new album and thats when it crashed. So I am thinking is the loss of the physical "D:\" drive affecting the logical "E:\" drive and making it logicaly "F:\" Anyway I have no idea how to correct this and I am thinking that I should hold back from remaking all my Playlists until I get the "D:\" CD Writer/Reader drive back, else it might all be for nothing?
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support