Old 7th September 2003, 12:35   #1
MeCasa

Freeb

How do I verify that my browser is set up for Freeb and can I use this function to verify cuesheet Thanks
MeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2003, 13:50   #2
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

? is this a trivial question?

this has something to do with winamp?
what is freeb?
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2003, 17:17   #3
ujay
Forum King

Winamp uses CDDB2 for it's default CD input plugin. Freedb is the alternative data source for the CDReader plugin.

Not sure what you're asking in the second part. Cue sheets are only really relevant to image making and burning CDs. Is that what you really meant ?

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2003, 06:15   #4
MeCasa

What does this have to do with WinAmp WinAmp is my player of choice... I installed and set up WinAmp2x so I could utilize the Freeb database The install and setup went well but I was expecting to see a different screen in my browser. I still have the blue screen selling CD's for Amazon. I also have WinAmp3 installed and utilizing Gracenote with the same browser screen. This may be correct and both databases may work through the same browser screen (I don't know which is why I asked)
The reason I wanted my Browser set up for Freeb is I use cuesheet search software which utilizes Freeb (Red Indian's) It can be difficult to find the correct cuesheet to cut single file albums. I thought if I used the same database for my player the browser might recognize the correct album and make it easier to find the matching sheet. I have not been able to correlate the browser to the database as of yet Is there a way ???
I have used WinAmp as my player for a lot of years, A player is no longer a stand alone entity , it is integral part of various software to identify, edit & play music. There are other players out there that handle the editing crossover with comparable ease but I stay loyal to WinAmp as much out of respect for Mr Frankel as a comfortable habit. In other words Rocker Kiss my ###
I'll take any help I can get to use my player to help identify my music...Thanks MeCasa
Old 8th September 2003, 07:56   #5
ujay
Forum King

Once again.

To use the Freedb database you must install and set up the CDReader plugin. You may need to disable the default in_cdda.dll plugin to avoid problems. Note thet CDReader is not fully compatible with the latest 2.9x versions of Winamp (Play menu not supported).
Gracenote's licence forbids Winamp using freedb directly, hence the third party plugin.

UJ
Old 8th September 2003, 14:42   #6
JonnyMac

From Freedb.org
Configure Winamp to access freedb

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2003, 15:06   #7
MeCasa

I appreciate the help but I have already configured WinAmp2x for freeb and the freeb servers did download to my player. My question is , is the browser screen the same looking using Freeb . I want to make sure it connected properly What should I see in my Browser if I configured properly.
I have also installed the CDreadin Plug, the green icon is on my player but I have had lots of trouble making it function although I continue to work on it.... First step to troubleshoot Am I searchin' Freeb ???
Old 8th September 2003, 17:31   #8
MeCasa

I am using WinAmp 2.91, WinAmp 3 is still installed and functional
When I go to WinAmp Preferences>Playback settings I have CDDB enabled and the following four servers
1..sc2.ca.us.cddb
2..rc.ca.us.cddb.com:8880
3..sc.ca.us.cddb.com:8880
4..us.cddb.com:8880
Which I believe are Freeb servers
When I load an album in WinAmp using add>add dir: the album will play
however when I hit the green icon in the players left top corner
(I never noticed it before the plugin so I assume it is from the plugin) a header appears at the top of the browser, this header says:
Find and Rename Album using the internet
OKAY....Select Function...Cancel
When I press OKAY an error message appears "Unauthorized Client-Please use different Client String" and WinAmp then locks up
As I said the Browser functions but the screen is the same as Gracenote
If you suggest I will uninstall both players and reinstall only 2x and then reinstall Plugin
If AOL does not allow us to discuss these matters then please tell me where to go this is important to me
Old 8th September 2003, 18:15   #9
ujay
Forum King

The sites you've given look like old CDDB1 servers (Gracenote), not freedb mirrors. Very little software still uses these since Gracenote moved on to CDDB2, most will not be authorised .
For freedb the only site you really need (using the CDReader plugin) is freedb.freedb.org. This should automatically redirect you to a suitable mirror if necessary. AFAIK all freedb servers have 'freedb' somewhere in the address.

Note that the correct spelling is freedb, not freeb.

UJ
Old 8th September 2003, 18:42   #10
MeCasa

Thanks for your help I am going to reinstal everything to get a clean start. Ironically I know the correct spelling One of those mental laspes ??? Went to college in late sixties..Perhaps a flashback ???Thank you for your help, hopefully I'll nail it this time........
Old 9th September 2003, 03:47   #11
MeCasa

What I meant to say is the D doesn't work on my keyboard...Is that why Rocker was so hard on me, probably woulda helped me if he knew about the keyboard...Huh ?
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support