Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Closed Thread
Old 14th April 2004, 21:20   #1
PhilQ

Choppy sound on certain streams when SHOUTcast title support enabled

Hi all,

I've searched the forums for an answer to this question but don't see it referenced so here goes:

Basically, I'm having trouble with a number of streams which appear to be coming from the same group of IP addresses, one such example is SmoothJazz.com. Their stream URL is: http://64.236.34.97:80/stream/1005

Another example is Proton Radio, apparently from the same server farm with a similar address:
http://64.236.34.97:80/stream/1041

If I have SHOUTcast title support enabled when playing these streams, I get choppy audio and the song titles still are not displayed, only the port # (ie, 1005) displays. Unchecking the SHOUTcast title support box solves the audio problem with those stations but then I can't see the song titles for the other streams I listen to.

I was using Winamp 2.95 (don't ask) but completely uninstalled it and then installed v5.03 but I still have the same problem.

The system is Win2K SP4 running on an Athlon XP1700+ with the nForce chipset and 256MB of RAM, more than adequate for streaming audio.

Can someone clarify what's happening here? I would assume that these servers are streaming in an odd format but Winamp is one of the players recommended by SmoothJazz.com.

Thanks for your help,

- Phil
Old 16th April 2004, 01:00   #2
gudule

Hey !

I was researching why certain radios had annoying noises when playing while others where all right, and just found out your thread.

Actually it seems to be the exact same problem you describe : radios with clicking noises / choppy sound are the ones where shoutcast titles don't appear (e.g. only the port # is displayed on the player & on the playlist area).

ex: Mostly Classical radio, 96 mbs stream

Two questions :
- is there a way to fix this problem ? Tried several changes in the Input/Vorbis decoder configuration, but nothing seems to work
- In the initial post above, there is a mention of "turning off shoutcast title support", how to do that in WinAmp 5.3 ? Didn't find any option in the Vorbis Decoder config / Display tab.

thks in advance !
Old 16th April 2004, 01:24   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Crosspost alert

Sorry, but all crossposts get *whacked*

Issue is dealt with & solved in the other thread.
Discussion can continue there if needs be...

Note: Shoutcast streams are MP3 streams, not Vorbis streams.
Shoutcast title support is an option in the in_mp3 plugin config only.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support