Old 11th May 2005, 05:38   #1
Print
Forum King

PHLAK. Linux Distro On Bootable Disc.

OK, here's the deal.

I remember burning a copy of P.H.L.A.K., way way back when I got a little interested in Linux. I ran it a couple times on my comp and just messed with it a bit, and used it to get on some computers than had Windows password protected.

Then I quickly lost interest in it. Now however, I was searching through a pile of old CD's I had in a box when I moved and came across it again.

Is there anything interesting I can do with PHLAK. I know very little if anything about Linux, but it would be cool to start messing around with it again, or maybe learn something useful I could do with it.

People have mentioned other versions of Linux to me in the past, but as my burner is messed right now, I only really have PHLAK to tinker with.

I've also tried reading some of the Linux guides and stuff, but they don't seem to be all that helpful, or they are just plain useless.

Anyway, what i'm getting at here, is does anybody know anything interesting I could do with my copy of PHLAK, or any useful guides or articles I could read to learn more about Linux (and remember I am a complete n00b).

I'm sure the Linux fans here will jump on this one.
Print is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2005, 08:27   #2
zootm
Forum King

There isn't a great deal of note that you can do with Linux that you can't do with Windows, other than peer at the source code and complain about the profanity therein.

But yeah, the most fun in Linux is to be had with tinkering with it, go tinker. Also, depending on the utilities it comes with, you may be able to fix Windows if it dies.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2005, 08:33   #3
Print
Forum King

What about the supposed hacking tools that are in PHLAK. Anything those are useful for?
Old 11th May 2005, 20:30   #4
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
One of the problems I've had with linux is that it's so easy to break

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2005, 23:55   #5
Jay
Moderator Alumni

linux is not really for the faint of heart, so be ready to break it in order to learn it.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2005, 00:02   #6
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Can you rescue windows passwords with Koppnix?
I had a friend who had someone password all her accounts (including admin) the other day.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2005, 05:21   #7
Print
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by KXRM
linux is not really for the faint of heart, so be ready to break it in order to learn it.
What do you mean break it?

I get that Linux might not be a walk in the park, but it'd be nice to try a little something new.

I'm just wondering if there is anything Linux can do that Windows can't.. or more over PHLAK can do..
Old 12th May 2005, 06:27   #8
Jay
Moderator Alumni

i don't believe that there is one that can do something the other can't. It's software. The only limitation is the imagination of the programers who write programs for either or both.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2005, 11:30   #9
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by shakey_snake
Can you rescue windows passwords with Koppnix?
I had a friend who had someone password all her accounts (including admin) the other day.
People complain about the encryption of Windows passwords, but I suspect they're too strong to do that.

Apparently the O'Reilly book "Knoppix Hacks", but it's not online (without subscription to Safari, which I don't have).

This looks promising.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2005, 18:53   #10
Scar Da Kookee
[Forum Pastry]

i had winlinux on a bootable cd

Needs more moo-cows.
Scar Da Kookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2005, 19:58   #11
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Winlinux isn't exactly the same thing.

@zoot. Yea, I'm willing to break it. The fact that I realize you can break it so easily means that I have done it.

Part of the problem I'm talking about is that it has sometimes led to this mindset "once you get it working, leave it the hell alone".

Oh yea, does anyone have experience with ubuntu?

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions