k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
gcc

Quote:
Originally posted by mikm
Learn to use it, you idiots.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 14:28   #4
mikm
Major Dude

powered by C₈H₁₀N₄O₂
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 19:34   #5
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

Shit, all this time I thought bcc stood for Borland C Compiler.

Idiot's Advocate
My site (under construction)
CaboWaboAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 21:18   #6
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

I always use bcc and tell others why they should, but none of them bother.
Razzinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 21:18   #7
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Learning to use Borland, now that is a waste.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 22:03   #8
gaekwad2
Foorum King

I miss Turbo Pascal.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 22:59   #9
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

I despise the fact that CS is taught in java here. A good load of my classmates will graduate without having a clue about pointers.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 5th October 2006, 23:14   #10
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

But that'll make you better than them, right? And thus be more successful.

CS courses are about giving you the tools to teach yourself about languages, not to teach you what you need to know in the workplace.

Because it all changes so fast in CS, there is no other option.

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 05:33   #11
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

I think I'm just bitter because we were implementing quicksort the other day (as you know, there are two recursive calls in most implementations) and everyone kept complaining that they were overflowing the stack. They knew this because java gives a nice stack overflow exception. When I was learning recursion, i got segfaults.

In any event, what bothers me is that I'm left to hone my skills in other languages on my own, instead of getting good courses in them.

Old 6th October 2006, 16:39   #12
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by will
CS courses are about giving you the tools to teach yourself about languages, not to teach you what you need to know in the workplace.
Never a truer word spoken.

And for the record, I think that Java is a better language to teach than C or C++. Direct memory manipulation isn't something it's important to teach in a coding class, and it's not like it's hard to learn it once you have the basics down.

I guess it's worth noting that when we had the big "What language should be taught at Uni?" debate (ok, argument) at my work, I was a lot more in favour of Python, although the fact that it's dynamically-typed is possibly not so helpful.

Quote:
Originally posted by k_rock923
In any event, what bothers me is that I'm left to hone my skills in other languages on my own, instead of getting good courses in them.
So? Languages are much of a muchness, really. Learning the fundamentals are what's important, then you can just move between tools (languages) as you please.

Last edited by zootm; 6th October 2006 at 17:05.
zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2006, 02:33   #13
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
[ONTOPIC] I have a bcc reminder as an email sig. Each and every email I send has an explanation as to what bcc is and why to use it every time there's more than one recipient. It appears below the email just like "Don't forget to live before you die" appears below each of my winamp posts. (unless you have sig viewing disabled) [/ONTOPIC]

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2006, 19:45   #14
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
And for the record, I think that Java is a better language to teach than C or C++. Direct memory manipulation isn't something it's important to teach in a coding class, and it's not like it's hard to learn it once you have the basics down.
I respectfully disagree. I'm not convinced everyone can understand things like pointer manipulation, and if that's true, then most people finishing a class in Java (who will never understand what's going on underneath), are going to become very bad programmers.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2006, 23:28   #15
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by xzxzzx
I respectfully disagree. I'm not convinced everyone can understand things like pointer manipulation, and if that's true, then most people finishing a class in Java (who will never understand what's going on underneath), are going to become very bad programmers.
Sorry, not sure what you mean there. Java's OO model is more applicable abstractly to most systems than C/C++ is, and memory manipulation is abstracted out by most sensibly-designed systems.

Old 9th October 2006, 02:26   #16
mikm
Major Dude

I laughed at the "ontopic" tags.

powered by C₈H₁₀N₄O₂
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2006, 07:43   #17
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by mikm
I laughed at the "ontopic" tags.
[ontopic]I don't ever use BCC, because I'm never in the situation where it should be used, and most email I send is either to one person at a time or work-related, where a full "trail" is beneficial.[/ontopic]

Old 9th October 2006, 15:44   #18
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Sorry, not sure what you mean there. Java's OO model is more applicable abstractly to most systems than C/C++ is, and memory manipulation is abstracted out by most sensibly-designed systems.
Hahaha. I just reread what I wrote. To clear up some potencial confusion, I meant "completing a training course", by "finishing a class" (I don't know if you misunderstood).

What I mean is that ultimately, you have to understand what a computer is actually doing if you're going to get any good at programming, particularly if you want your programs to run quickly, because otherwise, when the abstraction leaks (and it always does!), you're going to go off in the wrong direction. The best you'd be able to hope for is that you'd amass enough rules that you wouldn't mess up the majority of the time, but that's not really enough.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
Old 9th October 2006, 17:19   #19
zootm
Forum King

But direct memory manipulation isn't a good part of that, is my point. If you're learning about abstract concepts, it's more important to learn data structures, and algorithms, and how they're represented. The actual nitty-gritty of how memory is allocated and the like is rarely important (concepts like the stack and the heap are equally applicable to garbage-collected languages).

Old 9th October 2006, 21:29   #20
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

When people in my class were trying to figure out where the stack overflow exceptions were coming from and why their recursion wasn't working, knowing about how the stack works became very important.

Old 9th October 2006, 21:36   #21
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
But direct memory manipulation isn't a good part of that, is my point. If you're learning about abstract concepts, it's more important to learn data structures, and algorithms, and how they're represented. The actual nitty-gritty of how memory is allocated and the like is rarely important (concepts like the stack and the heap are equally applicable to garbage-collected languages).
I don't think you're going to be able to really understand a data structure and not understand direct memory manipulation at the same time&mdash;implementing a linked list using pointers basically means you must understand the memory manipulation behind it, and therefore the data structure itself, including its most important characteristics. It's not that you couldn't understand without doing it, but doing it makes you understand it.

It's a practical thing. It's not that you couldn't teach the same concepts in Java, it's that without being very careful, you're going to wind up with many students not really understanding what they're doing. An introductory course in Java? Fine. But I think you're going to just wind up with the same dropouts/incompetents later, rather than earlier, because understanding the pointer manipulation which is going on anyway in Java and actually doing the pointer manipulation in C is too close.

It's too easy to make an intro Java class which "anyone" could get, where the implication is "this is programming", when it's really not (well, it's junior-level programming, perhaps). It's sort of dishonest.

Note that I don't really think it's a bad idea to use Java, per se, or Python, or really anything (real-world languages are better, for obvious reasons). (Actually I kind of like the idea of using Python...) It's just that I think that the kind of professor who could teach effectively with Java would probably not want to use Java.

Old 9th October 2006, 23:15   #22
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by xzxzzx
It's just that I think that the kind of professor who could teach effectively with Java would probably not want to use Java.
They'd probably want to use something like Haskell or ML, which if anything are more abstract. People hugely overestimate the value of direct memory manipulation in "understanding what the computer is doing". You gain very little - object orientation as it is implemented in Java is essentially just a typesafe version of pointers. What you gain in C with pointers is just a bunch of dangerous abstractions instead of a bunch of checked ones. Manually allocating and deallocating the memory doesn't help a lot in terms of understanding.

There's a lot of people who believe you should start people out on barebones assembler, but I just can't see how that's beneficial. We abstract things into data structures not as syntactic sugar, but because that is how things are genuinely stored on the system. The fact that something has to monitor their presence too is more minor.

Old 10th October 2006, 03:08   #23
gameplaya15143
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by k_rock923
I despise the fact that CS is taught in java here. A good load of my classmates will graduate without having a clue about pointers.
Same in my school.. and it really sucks. I was lucky enough to at least get an overview of pointers before the big switch from c++ to java, but I still hardly understand how to use them properly.

Abstract topics are fine, but completely worthless if you can't actually implement them.

As for the on-topic stuff..
I usually don't use BCC, mainly because I often have group discussions over email and everyone knows everyone else. I certainly understand its purpose though, and can't stand when idiots don't use it when they should.
gameplaya15143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 09:22   #24
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by gameplaya15143
Abstract topics are fine, but completely worthless if you can't actually implement them.
C++ wouldn't help you implement them, though.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist