Old 2nd February 2008, 14:21   #1
csusman1

Playing SHN music files in Winamp

How do I get shn files to play in Winamp? I have approx 1000 CD with music in the Shn format. I've played them using Winamp for years. I just had to re-format my hard drive and reinstall windows. Now after downloading Winamp, these files don't play. I down loaded the Shnamp plugin. I've copied it to Winamp plugins. What am I doing wrong? Please help me? Thanks
csusman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2008, 14:44   #2
JonnyMac

Where did you get it, at Etree? If so, apparently they still have not properly added the update to thier server.

Click Here for a more stable and latest update of the plug-in.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2008, 17:05   #3
csusman1

playing shn files on Winamp

You are a life saver. Thanks so much. As you had guessed, I was getting the plugin from Etree. It's hard to believe their file was corrupt. Thanks again.
Old 4th October 2008, 14:30   #4
bobsalvati

Can someone please explain the steps to "copy" the downloaded SHN plugin listed by JonnyMac to Winamp. I have downloaded the file, now what do I do??

Thanks
bobsalvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 14:48   #5
JonnyMac

Unzip (unpack) the file, the copy the resulting files(s) [in_shn.dll] to the Winamp\Plugins folder (usually C:\Porgram Files\Winamp\Plugins).
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 17:23   #6
csusman1

Copy Shnamp plugin to Winamp

When you download the Shnamp plugin, you will get a file called “in_shn”. The is a compressed file. Click on it to open it and you will now get a file called: “in_shn.dll”.
Copy this file (i.e. click on it to highlight it, then right click you mouse and click copy).
Now go to your winamp/plugin file to paste it.
You will find it by doing the following, Open “my computer”
1. Click on: Local Drive C:\
2. Then click on: Program files
3. Then click on: Winamp
4. Then click on: Plugins
When you get to “plugins”, simply paste the shnamp file you copied, “in_shn.dll”

You are now ready to go.
Old 14th October 2008, 15:14   #7
Sidney J Kidney

OK sorry to be a pain but ...

I, too, can no longer play SHN files in Winamp (now that I've had to upgrade following a crash) and this is in spite of attempting all the various fixes mentioned above. Even older versions of Winamp (either still on my PC or downloaded specifically for this reason) now fail to play SHNs, although they WILL RECOGNISE them and place them in my library (as will the newest version) - with a "Length" of "0.00". Everything was fine until I upgraded to 5.541 (from ... erm ... not sure, 5.5something I think). Tried the new SHN plug-in from the link you gave. Tried a variety of uninstalls and reinstalls. Tried everything, frankly, as far as I can tell. So ... I come to you cap in hand, defences down etc etc. I would really, really love a successful solution.
Sidney J Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2009, 21:44   #8
iconoclast hero

Ok... I downloaded and correctly placed the in_shn.dll (dated 12/16/2006) in my plugins directory. I am listening to a SHN file at the moment... Happens to the the third song from the concert. The reason I'm posting is because the first song/intro/whatever (I don't know since) keeps crashing winamp. Any support? Here is the show: http://www.archive.org/details/rd1995-08-09

Winamp 5.552 on XP SP3

And if you're into the Dead, you have to check out D2T3, an amazing rendition of Amazing Grace by Rob Wasserman.

Last edited by iconoclast hero; 14th June 2009 at 22:02.
iconoclast hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support