Old 5th December 2010, 13:49   #1
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Looking for a hot sauce, maybe you folks can help.

When I say "hot", I don't mean "oh my god I'm going to die", I mean "that isn't hot, you pussy".

I don't do heat well. Feed me a Jalapeño and I will have problems. Currently, these are the two hot sauces I like:

Texas Pete and Frank's Red Hot Original.

I usually put about 3 teaspoons of Franks into my canned chili with no heat problems, aside from a slightly snotty nose. The only problem I have with them is vinegar. I don't like vinegar unless it's on salt and vinegar potato chips. So the taste of vinegar in hot sauces kind of ruins it for me. I want a little bit of heat with the taste of peppers, not vinegar.

So, any suggestions? Also, I the shipping and handling shouldn't cost 2.5 times the cost of one bottle (looking at you, Amazon)...

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2010, 13:54   #2
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
For not too hot sauces, I actually like some of the flavored Tabasco versions: garlic and chipotle. I've heard some of the flavors of Dave's aren't too hot. Mostly, I like "oh my god I need to go get the fire extinguisher" stuff, though.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2010, 20:20   #3
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Psst (if I knew how to make a linky wordy thing, I'd do it) http://www.hotsauceworld.com/hsw1478.html
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2010, 20:25   #4
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Have you tried rooster sauce yet? It's at every Chinese restaurant and it's freakin' delicious.

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 01:34   #5
fc*uk

http://www.buffalowildwings.com/ --> select menu and sauces. The closer to the left you are, the more mild they will be.

Their medium sauce is like franks; I've not really noticed the vinegar in it.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 05:27   #6
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 06:19   #7
arenee

okay frank has definitely made a visit to my household, howevah for this professional cook nothing but louisiana hot sauce works. it has a kick, which doesn't mean you feel the heat immediately or ten minutes after. it just has a nice taste to it.
arenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 11:24   #8
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by arenee View Post
okay frank has definitely made a visit to my household, howevah for this professional cook nothing but louisiana hot sauce works. it has a kick, which doesn't mean you feel the heat immediately or ten minutes after. it just has a nice taste to it.
Yeah, too bad Louisiana style hot sauces primarily use vinegar...

I want to try Pico Pica, but amazon wants $6.95 shipping for a 7 Oz bottle that costs $2.95. Yeah, fuck you.

Ingredients:
Water, Chile Peppers, Tomato Puree, Salt,
Spices, Soybean Oil, Citric Acid, Xanthan Gum,
Garlic Powder, Paprika, Sodium Benzoate as a preservative.

No vinegar. Awesome.

I may give Rooster Sauce a go (if I can find it). It has vinegar, though it's lower on the ingredients list than most.

Old 7th December 2010, 12:13   #9
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-db View Post
^ You sick, twisted bastard!
I've always liked that about you.
Oh, SSJ4 you might like this> http://www.tabasco.com/tabasco_tent/pepper_sauce/chipotle_pepper_sauce.cfm
It's really not too hot!
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 13:31   #10
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdykats View Post
Oh, SSJ4 you might like this> http://www.tabasco.com/tabasco_tent/pepper_sauce/chipotle_pepper_sauce.cfm
It's really not too hot!
I try my best.

I can vouch for the chipotle sauce, it's got a great taste. It doesn't have that tanginess that makes you squirm. A nice hint of chipotle, probably one of the best hot sauces I've ever had.

Unlike Franks, I actually do put that shit on everything.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 14:27   #11
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
sort of offtopic, but i notice that many many mustards that don't list horseradish in the ingredients quite reek of it, personally can't stand the stuff and that means i throw it out, i know tabasco is about as vinegary as you can get with their standard though, well.... ok you could drink a bottle of vinegar, it would be nearly the same, close at the least.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 15:52   #12
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ4 Gogitta View Post
I may give Rooster Sauce a go (if I can find it). It has vinegar, though it's lower on the ingredients list than most.
Every grocery store I know of (Safeway, Kroger, Albertsons, etc.) carries it. As for the taste: I'm not much of a vinegar fan either, but it's so subtle it's almost unnoticeable. It's actually one of the sweetest hot sauces I've had.

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 16:10   #13
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdykats View Post
It's really not too hot!
Yeah, vinegar is like the 2nd ingredient, right after chipotle peppers...

Old 8th December 2010, 11:26   #14
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Picked up a bottle of Rooster Sauce, and I love it. I think I've found my new favorite hot sauce. Hotter than what I'm used to, but I can still handle it.

Old 8th December 2010, 12:40   #15
rockouthippie
Banned

I usually use Cholula and add some habanero sauce for extra heat. You'll find a variety of straight habanero sauces at your local Mexican market. You could easily add enough habanero sauce to make something so hot it's inedible. The stuff I have here now is El Yucateco brand. Don't get any on your fingers and touch an eye.

I usually use a lot of Cholula and a few drops of habanero. I really like the flavor of Cholula but it's not super hot. Habanero sauce really has no flavor, it's just hella hot. If you visit the Mexican market, or if you have a Mexican aisle in your supermarket, Cholula comes in quart ( I think about $6) and half gallon bottles, which is a lot cheaper than buying the little bottles. You'd never need a big bottle of habanero sauce.

Some days you feel like incredible heat, some days you don't. This lets you adjust for mood.

I like Cholula on eggs at breakfast. I add a little habanero sauce for tacos, salsa etc.

Tabasco sucks. Yeah. Too much vinegar. I'll tolerate it on eggs, if they don't have Tapatio or Cholula. It's like pepper flavored vinegar. I like Rooster sauce too, but I think that's more for Asian food than a general hot sauce. Habanero is the heat in any of these "super hot" sauces that you'll pay triple for. Cholula is a "warm" pepper sauce with really good pepper flavor. Cholula is pretty mild. Mix to taste.

This all reminds me that the Asian market down the street closed and I haven't had a good batch of kimchee since I guess I should try to figure out how to make it. There isn't really a much better thing than BBQ pork and kimchee.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 8th December 2010 at 13:55.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions