Old 18th June 2003, 04:49   #1
DragonSon
Fears the boots
Forum King

Cancer:Survivor's Stories

I just thought of posting this...I was diagnosed with cancer when I was thirteen. I have since had three operations on my spine to remove six-inch malignant tumors and enough Radiation treatment in three or four weeks that I can't get Radiation again..I now get an MRI every six months to see if the cancer had returned...nothing so far...The thing that sucks is that they won't know if I'm completey cancer free until I'm 35, which is fifteen years from now. Oh well...one day at a time I suppose. You can post your stories if you had cancer or your loved ones/friends stories...
DragonSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2003, 05:02   #2
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

well, my cousing Kay dosen't have cancer, but she does have to go for monthly radiation treatment for a genetic skin disorder. the exact name of it i can't remember, but it's hit her pretty hard. she's lost so much weight, she weighs about 90 lbs and is 5ft 1in tall. her skin looks and feels like leather. she has a lot of inner strenght though and for the most part keeps her spirits up. if she does get down, i've never seen it. she has such a positive attitude that she plans on getting married this summer even though the doctors gave her the grim prognosis of a 50-50 chance of a bone marrow transplant working.
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2003, 11:11   #3
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Re: Cancer:Survivor's Stories

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonSon
I just thought of posting this...I was diagnosed with cancer when I was thirteen. I have since had three operations on my spine to remove six-inch malignant tumors and enough Radiation treatment in three or four weeks that I can't get Radiation again..I now get an MRI every six months to see if the cancer had returned...nothing so far...The thing that sucks is that they won't know if I'm completey cancer free until I'm 35, which is fifteen years from now. Oh well...one day at a time I suppose. You can post your stories if you had cancer or your loved ones/friends stories...
Please keep the old immune system up. Procrite(sp.?) and other drugs are designed to keep red cell count up while rad therapy and chemo sometimes suppress that. Fight the fight. ...sorry about your cancer
to say the very least. It's not a death sentence anymore. Hey see you in at least fifteen years...Cancer Free!
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2003, 13:43   #4
apollos
Forum King

My uncle got cancer when he was 38 roughly, he had it removed, every 6 months they checked up on him, saw nothing so he stopped getting checked. It came back, and his brain tumour was probably sped up by looking after my cousin who had ms and died yesterday at 11:15am. He died 5 years ago because the tumour had gotten so out of control, it was too bad to treat.

DragonSon, good luck to you man, cancer must be a hard thing to get through emotionally
apollos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2003, 13:49   #5
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally posted by Apollos
My uncle got cancer when he was 38 roughly, he had it removed, every 6 months they checked up on him, saw nothing so he stopped getting checked. It came back, and his brain tumour was probably sped up by looking after my cousin who had ms and died yesterday at 11:15am. He died 5 years ago because the tumour had gotten so out of control, it was too bad to treat.

DragonSon, good luck to you man, cancer must be a hard thing to get through emotionally
I am so sorry about your cousin! Hope that your family is holding up as best can be expected! Next time someone bitches about something stupid, remember the important things !
Old 18th June 2003, 13:51   #6
apollos
Forum King

nah widdy, I didn't say it for sympathy, but thanks anyway
I'm trying not to think about it much at the moment till it sinks in. The point I was trying to raise is shit happens, often to the wrong people, but as well as shit happening, sometimes some people have good spout of luck, which is what this thread is about really, so enough of my negativeness
apollos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2003, 13:54   #7
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally posted by Apollos
nah widdy, I didn't say it for sympathy, but thanks anyway
I'm trying not to think about it much at the moment till it sinks in. The point I was trying to raise is shit happens, often to the wrong people, but as well as shit happening, sometimes some people have good spout of luck, which is what this thread is about really, so enough of my negativeness
Your not negative...one of the lest negative at forum. Your just talking about real life..that's all!
Old 18th June 2003, 16:00   #8
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Aunt - Cancer 2 times once breast once bone, latest one spread down the spine to the hip, killed off quick enough to minamise damage but she has lost a rib to it.

Grand Farther (Mother side) - Cancer of the throught, lost his voice for 2 months, still has trouble with his voice.

Grand mother (Dad side) - Long term MS sufferer, died of cancerous groths in the cortex.

Dian (Friend of aunts) - Lung cancer, minimal side efects due to Excelent health treatment from her employer.

Sue (Friend of aunts) - Died this year from cancer in several tissues.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2003, 16:04   #9
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Shit Vie, your family's sure had it's share...You smoke?
Old 18th June 2003, 16:08   #10
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Nope, but Di and my grand farther did, now you know why I dont.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2003, 02:09   #11
d0rk
I contribute nothing.
(Forum King)

Grandpa on Mom side died of lung cancer a few years ago. I dont smoke because of it.

I came for the hatred.
I stayed for the ballbag.
d0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2003, 05:35   #12
DragonSon
Fears the boots
Forum King

Re: Re: Cancer:Survivor's Stories

Quote:
Originally posted by Widdykats
Please keep the old immune system up. Procrite(sp.?) and other drugs are designed to keep red cell count up while rad therapy and chemo sometimes suppress that. Fight the fight. ...sorry about your cancer
to say the very least. It's not a death sentence anymore. Hey see you in at least fifteen years...Cancer Free!

Hey, thanks.....It's good to see people care....
Old 20th June 2003, 16:21   #13
d0rk
I contribute nothing.
(Forum King)

watadoo, who is that story about?

I came for the hatred.
I stayed for the ballbag.
d0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2003, 22:43   #14
Atolibus

Send a message via ICQ to Atolibus Send a message via AIM to Atolibus Send a message via Yahoo to Atolibus
Wow. That's about all I have to say.

"Don't fear the reaper."
Atolibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2003, 00:54   #15
cyana
total eclipsed
(Major Dude)

DragonSon, you have PM ..

Watadoo, seems that you (or the person you were talking about) aquired an inflammation of the heart muscle and the valve (endocarditis and/or myocarditis) ?

the Southern Pinwheel Project
A conversation with our universe
googlism note of the week: cyana is going to be the last thing you ever see
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2003, 06:08   #16
Uranium-235

Re: Cancer:Survivor's Stories

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonSon
man I'm really sorry to hear about that. My grandfather died of color cancer a few years back. I have been lucky enough not to have any health problems other then general stupidity
Uranium-235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2003, 10:30   #17
cyana
total eclipsed
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by watadoo
It was a leetle growth of blood clot brought on by a prolapsed mitro valve -- tenting so they tell me. And it was my heart and my story. Only my Herculean constitution keeps me alive. I am strong like old country and don't kill easy.
you were very lucky watadoo and these smilies are for that you are still around ... yup the clot was caused by the prolapsed valve, but reading your whole anamnesis you had a long-termed flu before this episode, that you decided mostly to ignore. I guess this flu (and I guess further, that it was a streptococcal infect - did you have a real sore throat ?) caused the endocarditis, an inflammation of the 'inner skin' of the heart muscle, that again caused the prolaps of the mitralis. This is a dangerous complication, you also should occasionally check your kidneys if they havn't done yet during your stay in the hospital ...

the Southern Pinwheel Project
A conversation with our universe
googlism note of the week: cyana is going to be the last thing you ever see
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2003, 07:11   #18
DragonSon
Fears the boots
Forum King

DAMN.....Thought I'd never find this thread..but I want to bring it back because I forgot I had this poem I wrote about my..um....battle with cancer....

Here it is..

Struggle with A Killer
-----------------------

Sitting in the waiting room
Waiting for an answer
The doctor walks in,
"It's cancer."
I can't believe him
It just doesn't seem right
What have I done to deserve
This fight?

My life was perfect
From before I could tell;
Living in heaven
Soon turned into hell
My hopes were crushed
Would I live or die,
It was too much,
I couldn't even cry
My world shattered,
Battered and tattered,
Life felt short,
Nothing mattered

Pain and tears ensued,
But when I thought I was through
Another appointment,
More bad news
You see the cancer
Came back
I thought it was a joke,
They were playing me through,
But they were serious
My old fears were renewed.

When will this stop?
I just don't know
And today,
I still do not
But hope is there
Ever more
And with time
I will win this war.
------
Hope you guys like it.
Old 18th July 2003, 03:32   #19
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

In Loving Memory

just over two hours ago, my cousin, Mrs. Caryl Sarah Nicholson, just passed away due to complications of her illness. She will be greatly missed by of her husband of two weeks, Mr. Troy Nicholson, who unfortunately was not by her side. she will be missed by her family and friends, who could not but admire her strength and fortitude during her struggle. i was greatly honored to be chosen to help her get ready for her wedding this past 4th, i have never seen a more radiant bride. that is how i will always remember you Kay, the happiness in the church that you brought with you is a memory i will always cherish. love, your cousin, Sharon. i'll miss you.
Old 18th July 2003, 03:37   #20
DragonSon
Fears the boots
Forum King

Hunnie....I'm soo sorry..just remember I'm here for you, if you need someone to talk to.
Old 18th July 2003, 04:19   #21
WomanOfHeart
Major Dudette

ShyShy, I am so sorry! My condolences to you and yours! If there's anything I can do, just ask!

WomanOfHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2003, 08:23   #22
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

thank you both DragonSon and WomanOfHeart... it's been tough the past couple of hours, mainly because we (family) are taking turns watching my aunt. she's taken her daughter's death very hard and is blaming herself. for the most part, we're afraid she's going to seriously harm herself. but we all pretty much believe that my cousin, Kay, knew that she was dying, she was trying to hide how much pain she was in. we're all thankful that she was able to get married and she was very happy with her new husband with the little time they had together. my main thoughts are with her husband, Troy, and her mom. he was on the road when he recieved the call. i can't even begin to imagine what he's going thru right now. but all i have to do, is just remember how she was this past sunday, she was very happy and excited and funny as ever. that's the Kay i'll always remember.

and again thank you both, i greatly appreciate it.
Old 18th July 2003, 11:42   #23
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I am so sorry ShyShy. I am glad you wrote about her happy times, somehow that let's us know her just a little! Stay Strong!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions