Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 6th March 2004, 00:56   #1
TSx

Explorer - no 'enqueue' or 'play' options in context menu?

I recently formatted and upon installing the new version of winamp, I found that my context menu options were gone. I had been using a much older version of winamp prior to my format, and was unsure if the options of 'enqueue in winamp' and 'play in winamp' when right clicking an mp3 were no longer included? I liked those features, and was hoping to have them back. I searched the forums a bit but didn't find an answer to my question.

If they are still in version 5.02, is there a setting to enable them that I must have missed? I selected the folder option which then allowed me to right click and 'enqueue in winamp' for an entire folder, however it still doesn't show up for single files.

Thanks in advance.
TSx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2004, 01:22   #2
electricmime
Major Dude

prefrences:-> file types:-> explorer settings:->show winamp in folder context menus in windows explorer...

i THINK thats it

though i cant get it to take the stuff away from the context menu, so that may not be it...
electricmime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2004, 01:33   #3
TSx

That option enables you to add full folders via 'enqueue in winamp' but doesn't affect individual files. I thought that may have been it too, but unfortunately not.
Old 6th March 2004, 01:44   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Well, as long as MP3 is selected in Prefs > File Types, then this would normally make Winamp the default handler of MP3 files, and therefore the 'Play in Winamp' & 'Enqueue in Winamp' context menus will be there automatically...
unless some other player has messed up mp3 association...

Make sure "restore file association on winamp startup" is also checked.

If the problem persists, then take a look in Windows Folder Options > File Types tab.
(I can't give precise instructions without knowing your Windows OS)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2004, 06:14   #5
TSx

I'm on WinXP, and I have mp3's associated with winamp. If I double click one, it opens and plays in winamp no problem, however the context menu options still don't show.
Old 6th March 2004, 11:33   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types tab
MP3 > Advanced
Actions (c/o New or Edit, depending on what's already there):

Play in Winamp
App Used command line:
"C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe" "%1"

Enqueue in Winamp
App Used command line:
"C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe" /ADD "%1"

Under WinXP, "Use DDE" should be checkmarked for both.

Application = winamp
Topic = System
other fields = blank

Then, back in original Advanced box, hi-lite one of them, and click "Set Default".
Old 7th March 2004, 17:15   #7
TSx

I tried that last suggestion, however both options for play and enqueue were already listed in the file types advanced section. I also noticed that my "Open With..." option from the right click context menu doesn't expand, so I'm thinking there's possibly something wrong with explorer now. Going to see if there's anything else I can find but I'm at a loss as of right now. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 9th March 2004, 23:19   #8
TSx

Went into my registry and fixed the problem with my explorer context menus. However that didn't fix the problem of winamp's "enqueue" and "play" options not showing. I thought it may be a problem with windows media player showing its 'enqueue' option instead, so I removed all of windows media players context menu options, uninstalled and reinstalled winamp, and had no luck. The menu options are still gone.

If I go into the advanced file properties, they are exactly as you described above, and I've switched both enqueue and play to the default option with no change.

Any idea why it may not be showing up?
Old 10th March 2004, 02:09   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Try the attached regfix
Unzip the hkcr_mp3.reg file
and double click to merge with the registry.

Note: The .reg file assumes that Winamp is installed to the default dir:
C:\Program Files\Winamp

(for windows 2k/xp/2003 only)

[EDIT 2008]

Please do NOT use any of the reg fixes in this thread with Winamp 5.5x.

This thread is old (from 2004) and the reg files are outdated.
Attached Files
File Type: zip hkcr_mp3.zip (935 Bytes, 522 views)
Old 10th March 2004, 02:39   #10
TSx

Ran the file and merged it with current registry...said it went in fine, however no change was made...my winamp is in the default directory. I'm at a loss, heh.
Old 10th March 2004, 05:53   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

even after a reboot?

Hmm, I'm a bit perplexed...
That reg file should definitely make 'Play in Winamp', 'Enqueue in Winamp', and 'Add to Winamp's Bookmark List' appear in the right click context menu for MP3 files.
Old 11th March 2004, 01:47   #12
TSx

I tried uninstalling/rebooting, reinstalling and rebooting again, then adding that registry patch and rebooting once more but to no avail. I really have no idea what else to try either.

Do you think an older version of winamp may show the menu options? Or possibly a problem caused by windows or a conflicting program?
Old 11th March 2004, 02:29   #13
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Don't think it'll make any difference what version of Winamp you use, because you are the only one who's reported this problem. No-one else is experiencing it.

It's definitely a conflict in the registry to blame, probably caused by some other program. Though I aren't rightly sure what at the mo...

What other software is installed which plays mp3's?
WMP (version?), RealPlayer? MusicMatch? Any others? etc.

Have you got any other file formats apart from mp3 which Winamp is capable of playing?
eg. ogg, wav, midi, mod, etc.
or pls/m3u playlists?
Does the context menus show up for these if Winamp is the default player?

Does the file description read as 'Winamp Media File'?
Or something else?
Old 11th March 2004, 09:26   #14
TSx

I'm on a fairly fresh install of windows, so that's one of the reasons I'm a bit confused. I've got WMP 9.0 in, the latest version, which does add context menu options. I've tried removing its options via the registry but that didn't help, reinstalled WMP then winamp afterwards and still no luck.

I have WMP playing all video and winamp playing all audio, wav, mp3, midi, etc. The context menus don't list the winamp enqueue/play options at all for any of the formats winamp is the default for. Double clicking any of those file formats opens the file in winamp and plays it no problem.

I've been searching on this problem for a week or so now and via google, found several other references to the winamp context menus going missing, however most of those were in regards to winamp 2.0-3.0. I keep thinking it may be a conflict with WMP since it has similar 'enqueue' type context menus; ones that show up on all file types, not just ones assigned to the program...however as you said, no one (or not many) others have experienced this problem.

Edit: Forgot to add; the files do list as 'Winamp media file'.
Old 20th September 2004, 19:02   #15
ManiakMan

Same problem - no Explorer context menus for "files"

Hi,

This thread was lasted posted many months ago, but TSx never indicated if he solved the problem and how.

I am having the identical problem and seems like a very similar setup to him. I have tried "everything" suggested in the thread.

My problem started quite a while ago before I installed Winamp 5.05, before installing Windows Media Player 9, and before installing SP2 for WinXP.
[list=a]
MP3 is selected in Winamp "File Types" settings.
The context menus appear when a folder is selected, but not for files!
I am running Winamp 5.05, WinXP Pro SP2
I also have Windows Media player 10 installed[/list=a]

Hope someone can help.
ManiakMan
ManiakMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2004, 22:48   #16
TSx

No, I never did find a solution, and I still don't have the options. I've also tried with wmp9, 10, with sp2, without it, and have yet to see the winamp options ever show up. I use 5.05 now, and have tried each version from 5.01 up.
Old 20th September 2004, 23:41   #17
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hmm, weird. Try this 3-in-1 reg file package (WinXP only).
Instructions c/o readme.txt in the zip.

[EDIT 2008]

Please do NOT use any of the reg fixes in this thread with Winamp 5.5x.

This thread is old (from 2004) and the reg files are outdated.
Attached Files
File Type: zip mp3_reg.zip (1.5 KB, 362 views)
Old 21st September 2004, 08:53   #18
fuzzy1ogic

also haveing this same problem

Winxp sp2
windows media player 10
winamp 5.05

I tried the last .reg file update. still no change.

please help this is very annoying
fuzzy1ogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2004, 13:42   #19
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Weird. Have you maybe disabled the DCOM Service?
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....27#post1389827

Apart from that, can you tell me what entries you've got for MP3 in:
WinXP Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types > MP3 > Advanced.
Are "Play in Winamp" and "Enqueue in Winamp" even listed?

And what exactly is listed in the context menu when you right click an mp3 file in Explorer?
Old 21st September 2004, 17:33   #20
TSx

My advanced file type list shows enqueue in winamp and play in winamp, with play being defaulted. I'm using sp1 right now as sp2 had a conflict with another program I use called PicaView, so I don't have the DCOM service at all.

When I right click an mp3, this is the context menu that shows up: http://www.imagelink.org/id9584.jpg
Old 21st September 2004, 19:55   #21
fuzzy1ogic

I am showing exactly what TSX shows for a mp3 file. I do however have the play, and enqueue for all folders and some non mp3 files. I think there is a larger problem here with windows. All of my "open with" context menus are blank. I checked my dcom service and that seems to be running. Im not exactly sure when this started, but i have a feeling it was with sp2.
Old 21st September 2004, 19:56   #22
fuzzy1ogic

I also have picaview and I am not haveing problems with sp2. something is deff strange..
Old 21st September 2004, 20:57   #23
TSx

The problem I have with PicaView and sp2 is from ACDSee 4.0; when I right click and convert to jpg, it gives me a plugin error...uninstalled sp2 and it worked again, reinstalled sp2 and it occurred again...really odd bug as another friend who also uses ACDSee 4.0 doesn't experience it with sp2.

I wonder if PicaView could somehow be conflicting with winamp? I've had ACDSee 4.0 since it first came out, and I had the enqueue and play with winamp options a while back, so I really don't know what's causing the problems.
Old 22nd September 2004, 01:18   #24
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hmm... the plot thickens.
I think it must be more than a coincidence that you're both using this PicaView thing.
Old 23rd September 2004, 05:13   #25
fuzzy1ogic

found a solution... you must go thru the "add remove program" and "modify" ACDSEE without pica view.. i have ACDSEE photo suite 4.0 .. did this.. and BAM .. no more problems.. .. of course.. no more picaview either.. its got some kinda problem with SP2..
Old 23rd September 2004, 06:15   #26
TSx

I use PicaView far too often to remove it, and ya, it does have a problem or two with SP2, which is why I've reverted back to SP1. I however still don't have the winamp options, though it does sound like it could be a conflict with PicaView. As for a solution that involves keeping both PicaView and the winamp options, I'm open to suggestions.
Old 23rd September 2004, 19:21   #27
fuzzy1ogic

you could try removing pica.. getting the options back.. to make sure it works for you.. and then putting pica view back.. it might reset the options.. you could do the same with.. just to try it..
Old 24th September 2004, 12:00   #28
ManiakMan

Guess what folks .... Picaview 2 is DEFINITELY the culprit (for me at least). I have been running SP2 fine with Picaview 2 (contrary to TSx). I am also running ACDSee 6. Now, follow what I did .... I ran the the 3 REG files in DJ Egg's "mp3_reg.zip", but this didn't change anything in the context menu - still no entries for Winamp (without restarting the machine). Then, I decided just for the fun of it to uninstall Picaview. Well, guess what happened next (without a reboot in between)... the three missing Winamp entries suddendly appear in the context menus!!!!
Then, just for kicks I reinstalled Picaview 2. A prize if you guess what happened next ... yep, the 3 Winamp entries disappeared from the context menus!
This appears to be a WinXP problem 'coz I am running Winamp 5, Picaview 2, and ACDSee on another machine that has Win2000 and they all exist in harmony!
Thanks for all your help folks. Hope this helps others!
Now, I have to figure out what to do next. Picaview is really a good application.
Do you think it is the fault of Picaview software only or could Winamp be at fault? Should I write to the boys and girls at ACDSee?
ManiakMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2004, 14:55   #29
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Definitely not Winamp at fault, because all the required registry entries are there.
It can only be something that Picaview (whatever that is) people can fix.
Old 24th September 2004, 20:18   #30
TSx

I asked a friend to take a screenshot of his right click context menu on an mp3; he has virtually the same setup as me. ACDSee 4.0 with PicaView 2.0, Winamp 5.05, SP2, WMP 10...

http://www.imagelink.org/id9721.jpg

His has the winamp options. While I think PicaView might be partially at fault, it's not the direct cause of the problem, as not everyone has it conflicting. Any suggestions as to how to possibly get them to coexist?
Old 24th September 2004, 22:10   #31
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hmm, not sure.
I'd have to install this acdsee and picaview thing to find out,
but alas, I honestly don't want to. Sorry :/
Old 2nd October 2004, 19:28   #32
XXLRay

I have the same Problem. I use Win2K SP4 and have no pica view installed.
Double click on mp3-files opens win-amp but right clicking on mp3 files does not display the winamp-context-menu although the option is set in the preferences menu.
XXLRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 00:49   #33
Mer Ner

I hate to open a really really old post, but I can't find anyone with a similar problem anywhere online.

I'm having what I reckon is the exact same problem you guys had.

I'm running Windows XP SP2, without any of that Pica View or ACDSEE stuff. Never even heard of it, the only image stuff that I remember installing recently is Windows Live Image Viewer (or whatever it's called), don't know if that might be something to do with it :S

Any ideas guys?
Mer Ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 02:31   #34
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....d=161361#specs
What else is installed / running at the time?

From the FAQ

Winamp disappears from Explorer context menus after installing Power/Magic ISO
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=266117
Old 5th January 2008, 02:56   #35
TSx

I had this thread still set to subscribe so I got an email when someone replied, so I figured I'd toss a reply back.

I never had figured out exactly what caused the issue, but after reading through the other thread, and Egg's reply, I went ahead and tried some things.

Both Power ISO and Magic ISO are indeed to blame. I have both installed and was easily able to confirm this.

I did not however, need to uninstall them. If you open the settings for either (or both in my case) program, you will find an option to 'Enable Shell Integration'. Simply unchecking this option in either Power ISO or Magic ISO will return the 'Enqueue in Winamp' and 'Play in Winamp' type options.
Old 5th January 2008, 04:33   #36
TSx

Quick question for DJ Egg if he reads this again...I ran the registry file you linked in the other thread, Default_RegFix_WinXP.reg, and in doing so, my Microsoft Office 2003 suite lost all of its icons in both the start menu and on my desktop, and is giving me some odd program errors. Is there a way to undo that fix, or am I going to be stuck reinstalling MS Office 2003, and possibly other programs that file interacted with?
Old 5th January 2008, 11:49   #37
Mer Ner

Perfect solution TSx.

Thanks.

Only problem is, it's more of a work around. I'll have a look into it, and see if there is a fix. Haven't read through the post that DJ Egg provided yet, might be an answer for me in there.
Mer Ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 07:44   #38
XXLRay

I recently received an email notification that someone replied in this really really really old thread and so I decided to add my two cents.
On my computer neither Power ISO nor Magic ISO are installed but nevertheless the context menu does not come up.
Old 16th April 2008, 13:02   #39
5ltr355

Hey guys,

I tried a lot of the fixes posted here and in the end after nothing worked I stumbled on a really easy way to fix the solution to the problem, for me anyway!

In Windows Explorer...

Tools -> folder options -> files types.

Under file types look for Folder

Highlight it and click advanced below.

Click New

Under action, type &play in winamp

Type the path for winamp.exe in the second box including the quotation marks (")

mine looks like this "E:\Programs\Winamp\winamp.exe" "%1"

Now ok out of all the menus and you should have that little bugger back where you want it!

Hope it works for you as it did for me!
5ltr355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 16:49   #40
XXLRay

That's not really what I was searching for, but you enabled me to fix the "enqueue-Problem"

1. marks an mp3-File
2. goto Tools -> folder options -> files types
3. mark mp3
4. click on "advanced"
5. edit the entry "enqueue"
6. path should be "D:\Winamp\winamp.exe" /ADD "%1"
7. mark "always show extension" (or something like that)

When I now rightclick on mp3 I have the opportunity to enqueue them in my Winamp playlist.

I am so happy you helped me to solve my problem and that after such a long time (my first post was from 09-24-2004 and I had the problem since even longer).
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support