Old 5th November 2004, 11:30   #41
Bizzeh
Forum Pirate
Beta Team

i wonder who has thought of a jack to phono lead... jab that into your sound card, and your stereo.... and BAM!! same effect for about 50p, and if you want it to be a longer cable, about £2... i dont see the point in paying $120 for something you could do alot easier for 50p - £2
Bizzeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2004, 17:12   #42
kaatinthehaat
Major Dude

That's fine if your computer and stereo are near enough to each other. Also, what if you have multi-rooms? Anyway it's a cool gadget and isn't it the most improtant thing to own the cool gadgets?

80GB 5.5 generation Video iPod

4GB and 8GB gen 2 Nano's with ****+

Winamp 5.52 Pro ; ml_iPod 3.05
kaatinthehaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2004, 00:01   #43
mpr90

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Noted, however I don't believe the Apple Lossless (ALAC) format has been reverse-engineered yet - any audio sent via AirTunes must be encoded using ALAC.
Can't Quicktime encode the ALAC format? Given that a user has quicktime, couldn't a Winamp plugin make use of this and DVD Jon's crack together to stream to the AirPort?
mpr90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2004, 17:58   #44
Seraph321

I recently purchased an aiport express because I'm constantly traveling, and it is the easiest and smallest wireless router around. I can carry it in my bag and plug it into any hotel room (that offers broadband) to get instant wireless access that's already configured with my laptop's profile.

But beyond that, the lack of imagination some people in this thread have is amazing. Look at it from an average consumer's viewpoint:

Have a laptop and a broadband connection and want wireless? Yes.
Well you need a wireless router.
Which one to get?
Well, do you have a stereo, or computer speakers you would like to use with your laptop's (iTunes) music library? Yes.
Well if you get the airport express you not only get wireless internet, but wireless audio that's controllable from anywhere in the house!

Have a printer? Sure.
Well you can print to that wirelessly with the airport express too! What's that you say? You have more than one stereo or your printer and stereo aren't in the same place?
Well, buy ANOTHER airport express! It's that easy!

And seriously, that's all people need to hear. I paid $129 for mine, and I consider that a steal for what it does.

Have you seen how it interfaces with iTunes? You just choos the "speakers" you would want to currently use. So it's very easy to imagine someone sitting in the office, listening to music and using the internet through their wireless laptop. Then maybe they want to move out to the porch and relax. They just have to carry their laptop out there and switch the speaker output on iTunes as they go, and they remain in full control of the same music they were already listening to. I mean, that rules.
I'm not saying I like iTunes, cause I don't, but that's why a winamp plugin would be really nice.
Seraph321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2004, 18:56   #45
peaceofcake

Seraph321, Apple really does come up with great ideas, I'm glad someone else sees that. They imagine something, and engineer a solution that's the best logical way to get the tast done. They take the frustration out of computing, and for most people, the loss of some features winamp has is nothing compared to the opportunity to use an eas to use player like iTunes.
My only gripe with them is that they don't give users many options, but in the OSX arena there area lots of plugins for iTunes already, most of them are better than the winamp counterparts.
peaceofcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2004, 12:06   #46
saivert
Banned

Old log of wood!

Yup! But you have to bring that laptop with you to control the music. And I don't think people wanted that. Maybe if AirPort Express supported a remote control (definition: small device designed to control other devices from a distance, usually using infra-red light). And if this remote control used RF (radio frequencies) for the commands everything would be great.
saivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2004, 23:47   #47
Kr1x

When looking at Jon Johansen's blog, it becomes clear that there is just the use of a plugin launching his justeport with
the filename of the current song and the IP Adress of the Airport Express Station.
I do not think this is very hard to realize, I will try my best in Christmas holidays in two weeks.
Or anybody other will do it before me...
Kr1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2004, 01:02   #48
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Geeze, you people don't get the hint do you.

The stream sent to the AirTunes is in Apple Lossless format. Apple Lossless is closed and has not yet been reverse-engineered. Therefore, a winamp AirTunes plugin is currently impossible.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2004, 02:04   #49
shaneh
Major Dude

Well if the only barrier is the fact it needs to be reverse engineered first, its not impossible, it would just take a lot more work :P
http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...8&page=1&pp=15

Otherwise you could make some kind of hack which proxies the stuff between winamp and an external 3rd party encoder/decoder. Similar to how its been done before.
shaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2004, 02:17   #50
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

"Currently impossible" .

Yeah, I suppose you could use quicktime, but I'm not sure how - I did have a look around and found no info at all.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
Old 13th December 2004, 02:19   #51
shaneh
Major Dude

Well by that logic, everything is "currently impossible" - until its done

edit: Anyway.. if the input is Apple lossless, there is no need to encode/decode, just send it straight to the airport using justeport (http://www.nanocrew.net/blog/).

Of course it will mean youd have to match your input and output plugins, otherwise youd get garbage out your speakers.

AFAIK you can decode apples crap format (http://developers.videolan.org/cgi-b...v=9540#dirlist), but encoding hasnt been developed by anyone yet. This is what would be required to send mp3s to an airport.

Last edited by shaneh; 13th December 2004 at 02:55.
Old 17th December 2004, 11:25   #52
rooi

remote control for winamp

I'm also thinking of buying the airport express. A winamp plugin would be nice because you can control winamp and the rest of your pc with ControlFreak on a smartphone with symbian60 on it.
Maybe this supplements the lack of remote control capability of the airport and I must say using your mobile as remote for winamp work really great!!!
rooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2004, 11:31   #53
shaneh
Major Dude

Well dont go buying it expecting to get a plugin, unless someone puts in the effort to build a real time apple format encoder, its not going to happen. It would take quite a bit of work to do that, so dont bet on it happening. Unless apple releases something, which is probably even less likely.

Playing already encoded format files should be easy enough if someone would bother to make such a thing though.
Old 17th December 2004, 12:10   #54
DrO

Thread title changed to clarify the situation

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2004, 15:08   #55
inthegray
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to inthegray
much better alternatives to the airport express have made themselves available over the past couple of months.
inthegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2004, 18:32   #56
rooi

Could you then please point to some better alternatives?
(Does not need to do video transfer)

For those who already have the airport this might come in handy:

I am able to stream arbitrary audio to an Airport Express without breaking any encryption. Here's how (for Windows, similar applications exist for Linux and Mac OS X)

1) Run WinAmp? with the Shoutcast broadcasting plugin. This allows you to stream audio, including system audio and soundcard output, to ...

2) A Shoutcast server - you can run one locally or on another machine.

3) Run iTunes and connect to the Shoutcast stream.

4) Tell iTunes to send the audio to the Airport Express.

Use a symbian phone as bluetooth remote for winamp and it is complete
Old 17th December 2004, 23:16   #57
Seraph321

That's pretty brilliant.
Seraph321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2004, 23:17   #58
kaatinthehaat
Major Dude

Rooi, this is EXACTLY what I need to do. Could you post more detail about how you set it up? Thanks very much!!

Old 17th December 2004, 23:39   #59
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

That's one hell of a hack. If you want a decent alternative to the Airport express, get a Squeezebox.

Old 18th December 2004, 07:46   #60
rooi

Quote:
Originally posted by kaatinthehaat
Rooi, this is EXACTLY what I need to do. Could you post more detail about how you set it up? Thanks very much!!
I can't tell exactly an can't also take credit for the idea. I found it some messageboard on the internet (don't know which one) there was an email adress of the guy who thought of it supplied with it (zippy@cs.brandeis.edu)
I do think it should work though.
I tink you should use the winamp plugin to send a a sort of internet radio (fill in some ip adres)
In itunes you should probaly to that "radio" station (the same IP adres and it should work

I can't test it, because I don't have the device (maybe I'll buy one if there are no better alternatives)
Old 21st December 2004, 13:01   #61
saivert
Banned

Whoaw. This thread is unbeliavable! Never thought of merging ordinary audio with networking. Maybe we will see a shitload of applications and devices doing this more completely in the future. Maybe Sony, JVC, Phillips will come with High-End amplifiers and control receivers that has support for Ethernet connection (wirless 802.11g or cable TP CAT5). So that you can choose between CD, Radio, TV, AUX and then Networked Audio. And control it too. Maybe establish a common standard that will relieve us all from this pain.
Old 21st December 2004, 15:46   #62
inthegray
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by rooi
Could you then please point to some better alternatives?
(Does not need to do video transfer)
My alternatives probably won't interest you then, as I've only been researching solutions that provide both audio and video streaming, as well as several other options, as that is what I've been looking for lately.

This "ULTIMATE BUYERS GUIDE TO THE BEST PRODUCTS" PDF from wired has a section towards the end about these devices.
Old 21st December 2004, 16:15   #63
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
If you want a decent alternative to the Airport express, get a Squeezebox.

Old 23rd December 2004, 09:24   #64
rooi

I bought the Airport Express and an very pleased with it.
Only one problem which may be a bit out of topic, but does someone perhaps know how to "bypass" the local LAN access security of a vpn client (Cisco)?
I connect to a remote network through VPN quit often and the settings on that remote server are set to no local LAN access. (They do this because of security) Setting the client to allow local LAN access thus does not help.
Because of this I can't connect to my network printer and Airport Express while connected to this remote network.

Does anyone know a solution to bypass this setting (should be possible I think)
Old 24th December 2004, 00:31   #65
inthegray
Major Dude

kind of crappy, but oh well
Old 24th December 2004, 19:15   #66
kaatinthehaat
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by inthegray
kind of crappy, but oh well
Too bad it's "only available for Mac OS" Maybe a PC version will come out. It's only a matter of time....

Old 26th January 2005, 15:32   #67
Pennstate

I figured it out

I set up my SHoutcast MP3 server on my laptop using the Shoutcast DNAS server util and the SHoutcast DSP winamp plugins from www.shoutcast.com.

Config the DSP pluging to use encoder 2 (MP3 320kbps stereo) on output 1.

Run DNAS server utility.

Play Winamp DOlby AAC playlist

Play the stream http://localhost:8000 in iTunes. Currently streaming damn good quality Dolby AAC-->MP3 on my Magnepan MMGs
Pennstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 19:13   #68
kaatinthehaat
Major Dude

Yup. That works. There sure is a long delay though.

The other thing is that I have a crossfade plugin on winamp but using Shoutcast to the Airport Express, there is no crossfading.

Old 1st February 2005, 08:24   #69
saivert
Banned

Crossfading takes effect after the Shoutcast DSP plugins has processed the audio data, so no crossfading will ever get through to the Airport Express. Instead set up your Shotcast DSP plugin to sample from sound-cards input instead and then play the music from Winamp. Just connect a loop-back cable from Line out to line in on your card or select "Stereo Mix" for the recording input source (in Windows sound mixer="sndvol32.exe -r").
Old 1st February 2005, 08:34   #70
kaatinthehaat
Major Dude

Cool. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Old 1st February 2005, 21:15   #71
kaatinthehaat
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by saivert
....... or select "Stereo Mix" for the recording input source (in Windows sound mixer="sndvol32.exe -r").
This last part confuses me. Where exactly do I select "Stereo Mix"? Do you mean "Wave Out Mix" in the volume control settings in the recording control section? Thanks for the help.

Old 2nd February 2005, 11:50   #72
saivert
Banned

Yup! You guessed it...
Old 2nd February 2005, 17:39   #73
kaatinthehaat
Major Dude

Got it. It works but the sound coming out of the stereo is distorted. I've tried adjusting the Volume control settings and I can't seem to improve the sound. The sound is great if I just play music from itunes to the airport express. Any ideas?

Old 2nd February 2005, 18:39   #74
kaatinthehaat
Major Dude

Actually, I just found a setting in the Crossfade plugin which allows crossfading to occur prior to the Shoutcast DSP. Works like a charm!!

Old 3rd February 2005, 09:34   #75
saivert
Banned

What do you mean. Tell me more... tell me more...
Old 3rd February 2005, 18:10   #76
kaatinthehaat
Major Dude

I use this plugin for crossfading:

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=32368

There is a tab in the settings that allows you to select a DSP plugin to be applied prior to final output. I selected the Shoutcast plugin and lo and behold, the output sent to Shoutcast has each song crossfading into the next. Itunes then receives it and sends it on to the Airport express. Only about a 3-4 second lag.

Old 4th February 2005, 08:32   #77
saivert
Banned

Oh! I know exactly what you mean. I just forgot about the secondary DSP plugin loading in SqrSoft's Crossfader plugin. It's along, long time ago since I last used that plugin. I
m currently using the "Fade at end of song" option in Nullsoft DirectSound output plugin for crossfading.
Old 1st October 2005, 04:30   #78
ishermandom

I want to connect multiple computers (6 total) to the same set of speakers. Would the squeezebox work for that, and is there an easier way to do it?

Thanks.
ishermandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2005, 00:23   #79
strubbl

the new version of justeport supports piping raw audio!

Quote:
I’ve released a new version of JustePort. The only new feature is RAW audio support and was contributed by a user. This means you can pipe output from tools like oggdec and faad to JustePort.
... and there are discwriter-plugins which support raw audio output.

So, isn't it possible to pipe the winamp-output to justeport?
(and to include this in a small plugin)

Anyway, there are some guys who managed streaming their whole soundcard-output (and so winamp music, too) to Airtunes, see
http://nanocrew.net/2005/07/23/justeport-02/#comments

Unfortunately, i'm not a crack in winamp outputs and have no airport express to test (yet).
strubbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2006, 11:07   #80
Markus1980Wien

AirPort Plugin

At the moment, I am developing an AirPort Plugin for Winamp.
www.sourceforge.net/project/winamp-airport

The plugin is still in an Alpha-Phase. It uses JustEPort from www.nanocrew.net to stream to Airport.

I invite you to help to improve the plugin.

At the moment this plugin consists of 3 files.
JustEPort.dll (copy to winamp-directory)
out_airport.dll (copy to winamp-directory)
_out_airport.dll. (copy to winamp/Plugin-directory)

This plugin needs the Microsoft .NET Framework and Windows XP to run.

On my machine, this plugin works correct, when the computer is connected to the Airport with a Network-Cable. When connected WIRELESS the plugin throws an exception after about 17 seconds of working correct.
Markus1980Wien is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development