Old 11th April 2014, 00:46   #1
bledd

Merchandise?

Hi,

I would love to own a Winamp mug.

Any chance of releasing something like this?

I know these look a bit rough

-

Been using Winamp for over 10 years, nothing compares.
bledd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 08:25   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

That's a great idea! I would buy a set (and ink pens, t shirts, etc).

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 09:22   #3
DrO

I'm pretty sure such a thing had been done years back but it was expensive and was mainly US specific and never caught on. and nothing a bit of printing and sticky backed plastic can't solve on your own
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 10:54   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Sure I can do it for personal use (and think I will), but I was thinking mass market promotions (and avoiding trademark issues) not a money maker (at best break even). Must have missed it years back.

Is it really that expensive? This kind of stuff is done all the time for fund raisers and give-aways at trade shows. Is there no truth to the saying, "You got to spend money to make money".

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 11th April 2014, 11:53   #5
DrO

from my understanding from other cases where such things have been produced and from what i vaguely remember hearing with the Winamp stuff, it's more the distribution aspect which is the killer on such things i.e. shipping to wherever in the world vs production costs (though unless you're doing it in very large quantities, it's more likely to make a loss than to make it close to a break-even).
Old 11th April 2014, 12:46   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Many ideas fail to survive economic reality.

Large quantities would be needed and although one producer/distributor would create the lowest unit cost. What about decentralization? Contract multiple producers/distributors in the regional/local areas where users exist and where market growth is targeted. In short, make and distribute where it is sold (or given away). Seems to me that might work, but I really don't know what all is involved in something like this (managing it could be a nightmare). There probably are better places to put marketing dollars in today's world (like social media).

Old 11th April 2014, 12:54   #7
DrO

when trying to target multiple regions it can get messy very quickly from what i understand. though i can see the benefit of merchandise in some cases, but like you note, there's probably better things to spend money on than a novelty mug, etc.
Old 11th April 2014, 19:53   #8
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Why not copying the right image-file onto the USB-Stick and going to a copy shop, which can make a T-Shirt or mug with the Winamp Icon for You? At least in Berlin some copy shops offer T-Shirts & mugs with individual images & names.

I myself want to have a jewelry pendant with the Winamp Icon, for example from Bijou Brigitte, but which jewelry store would sell such a fashion jewelery? Maybe Berlin has some fabrication shops, which could produce an individual fashion jewelery for me.

I don't know, if a professional marketing would be economically or not, and more important things have to be done now for Winamp...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 10:44   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Sabine,

Yes, it is easy to do such things for personal use. But we were discussing using cheap merchandise as a way to promote the Winamp name and/or trademark and draw attention to the app.

In the beginning people came looking for Winamp. It was talked about in all the trade publications and by word-of-mouth. It didn't need to go looking for customers/users. The market was smaller and the competition was a lot less. Now the market is a lot bigger (and some of it is untapped in certain parts of the world) and there is competition everywhere. Winamp is no longer talked about (for free) in the trade (except for the flurry about the AOL shutdown a few months back). The word on the street now is about other digital media apps.

Sure there is work needed on the app itself, but some kind of active promotion is needed too. Since Winamp mostly makes money indirectly, a massive user base is needed for it to remain viable for further development.

Old 12th April 2014, 20:03   #10
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I have just translated Your words with Google, because my English is not so perfect. You are right, Aminifu.

The competition has become very large, and it is no longer so easy to compete in the market. The main focus should be to work on a new Winamp Version, and later maybe T-Shirts, mugs & co could be offered, too (and don't forget the jewelry pendants for the fashion jewelery). I hope, that also payment options with a prepaid card will be provided, because not everybody wants to use Pay Pal or a credit card (and in Germany people with only less incomes don't get a credit card anyway). Also I hope, there are trusted shipping options for all these things, so that the user can be satisfied.

Winamp should get another chance...

Old 13th April 2014, 00:34   #11
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

You shouldn't worry too much about how to promote Winamp.. In theory Radionomy has more than a couple of ideas / meanings to do it properly when the time is right.. (probably a whole Marketing department)
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 04:53   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
http://www.cafepress.com/

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 07:49   #13
Aminifu
Forum King

Thanx MrS,

I wanted to order the "NO PROB-LLAMA" tee, but gave up after searching for 15 minutes and not finding a way to.

Old 13th April 2014, 07:53   #14
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
You shouldn't worry too much about how to promote Winamp.. In theory Radionomy has more than a couple of ideas / meanings to do it properly when the time is right.. (probably a whole Marketing department)
Hope you are right. AOL had/has a Marketing department too.

Old 13th April 2014, 10:28   #15
bledd

I wan't to support Winamp, but have no use for any of the pro features.

I use it as lite mode with my own skin, only for playing mp3s..

bledd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 11:12   #16
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by bledd View Post
I wan't to support Winamp, but have no use for any of the pro features.
Think of it as a donation. I don't use the Pro features either, but I bought a license anyway to do my bit in support of further development.

If a Pro version is offered again and my current license doesn't carry over, I will buy another one.

Old 13th April 2014, 13:37   #17
DrO

the wording for what pro provided had changed to include funding further Winamp development (though i don't think it was much once licensing and fees for handling the purchase were taken off). as for what will happen with pro, we'll have to wait and see...

as the point raised by the post is something that has cropped up many times in people wanting to donate something but not go pro, so maybe something can now be done to allow for that.
Old 13th April 2014, 15:27   #18
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Also I myself would like to suggest a possibility for voluntary donations, and different payment options should be possible, like I mentioned them already in post #10. I think, there are some more people, who want to make donations for the further development of Winamp.

BTW, bledd, Your own Winamp Classic Skin looks very beautiful, where can this .wsz-file be downloaded? I just need a further computer to test 3rd-party Winamp Skins, then I would test it immediately. I don't have a 32-bit-version of Windows Vista anymore (my previous Windows Install was Windows Vista 32-bit). On a 64-bit-Windows I don't dare to create new test-sections. I have only 1 Winamp on my Workstation PC now, where I use only the default Bento. Also I don't dare to Install the plugin ClassicPro, because I don't want to damage my Winamp.

I will keep my eyes open for the further development of Winamp, until I am an old grandma...

Old 15th April 2014, 10:00   #19
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Sabine,

You can install Winamp more than once on the same computer. One way is to create another user account on your computer and install Winamp in it. Then you can use the stable version of Winamp in your main account for your work and use the version in the other account to try out various skins, plug-ins, non-default settings, etc.

Things you find safe and useful you can then use without fear with the Winamp in your main account.

Old 15th April 2014, 10:08   #20
DrO

and installing skins (especially a classic style one like in the screenshot) is pretty safe when it comes to things you can do with Winamp (you're more likely to have issues when adding media than a classic skin ). so like Aminifu notes, there are very simple ways to achieve things and if in doubt, just force Winamp into safe mode and anything 3rd party will be ignored e.g. if you installed the cPro engine, under safe mode it would not be loaded.

i realise from the nature of your posts that you're not a risk taker, but getting a whole new machine to try out a skin is unnecessary and really not needed. and if in doubt, use the backup tool and keep that safe so you can revert setting changes as needed.
Old 15th April 2014, 13:28   #21
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

And due to the very small leased apartment, only less place and lack of money a new machine wouldn't happen anyway soon. I am very glad, if we have Frank's PC running and my own PC & my own notebook. He has said, no Winamp on his PC, too complicated for him, he prefers the very boring Windows Media Player. He has also never touched my Winamps, not in the past and also not now.

Last Summer I got a suggestion to set up a second user-account on my PC, because in the service shop they had set up my username wrongly after reinstalling Windows Vista, but I didn't do that. I will live with the wrong path in C > username > AppData & Co.

Yes, naturally I am not a risk taker, but of course I want to see also my own works (.wsz-files, made with Skinamp and stored in a subfolder in D > SabineKlare2 > Dokumente2). And satuim's work & "cPro2 - Winamp for Mac Sync.wal" are waiting for me, too...

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist