Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 30th October 2007, 20:27   #1
Fuzzplug Jones

5.5 Doesn't launch properly / Windows Media doesn't work anymore

I've been with Winamp for almost ten years. These are literally the first problems I've ever had with it.

Upon installing 5.5 over 5.35, two things immediately happened. First, double-clicking any file type registered to Winamp no longer launches Winamp. It doesn't launch anything. I get an hourglass for a quick second and nothing happens. However, if I start Winamp manually, then double-click a file, it loads and plays.

Secondly, I used to be able to play Windows Media streams using Winamp. Now they just don't work. Upon starting a stream, Winamp actually opens (??) and claims to be "connecting" to the stream, but nothing ever happens past that. If I turn off WMV/WMA associations in Winamp and re-click the link, Windows Media Player comes right up and plays the file.

This is a Windows XP Home laptop, a month and a half old, fairly clean. I also did a clean reinstall of 5.5.

Please let me know what other information I need to give you, I miss being able to use Winamp the way I always have.
Fuzzplug Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2007, 21:34   #2
siebe83
Forum King

#1: See if enabling the Winamp Agent helps.
Prefs (Ctrl+P) > File Types > 'Enable Winamp agent' & 'Maintain file associations'

At that same screen, make sure the filetypes that should be opened in Winamp are selected.

#2: Do you have a sample URL?
Does it work if you paste the URL in the Open URL dialog in Winamp? (right-click Open button > Open URL)

Do you have the Windows Media Decoder plugin (in_wm.dll) installed?
Prefs (Ctrl+P) > Plug-ins > Input

Also make sure no (software) firewall is blocking Winamp from accessing the internet. Sometimes a firewall needs to be reconfigured to allow access if an application is updated.

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support