Old 23rd February 2002, 16:22   #1
rapuak

cddb connection error!

I'm want winamp to play my cds automatically taking the songs' titles from cddb. I've tried with nullsoft cdda and cdplayer but both even if configured correctly (at least i think) can't manage to connect cddb giving me the "cddb connection error!" even if I'm permanently connected to the internet thanks to ADSL. Is there anybody knowing an answer to this problem??

Thanks a lot
rapuak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2002, 17:40   #2
Kaboon

Send a message via ICQ to Kaboon
Please, make sure that Winamp can connect to the internet. Goto the Winamp preferences (press CTRL + P) goto "Setup" and make sure that "Internet settings" are not set to "No internet connection available".
Kaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2002, 18:34   #3
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
you could also try freedb.freedb.org as your CDDB server instead.

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2002, 01:26   #4
rapuak

I thank you both! I've tried the freedb.freedb.org server and now everything works fine! Does anybody know why cddb is not working? I was used to connect to it!
Old 24th February 2002, 01:34   #5
Lamborg

cddb connection error!

rapuak,

Assuming you have by now determined how to connect to CDDB, here's a bit of additional info which may be helpful/of interest. It is my understanding that CDDB can not automatically find & play your CD song titles if the CD is a "home made" compilation of various favorite toons, i.e., one you have burned via your system (or a store-bought CD which is not in CDDB's database). When the CDDB window pops up, you'll have to manually enter the title you've given that CD, manually enter the title of each track, and then click *Save.*
Lamborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2002, 01:53   #6
Lamborg

Check again to confirm that CDDB is configured properly. Open Preferences-->Plugins-->Input-->Nullsoft CD. Highlight Nullsoft CD and click Configure. The CDDB Server box should show: us.cddb.com:8880. Beneath that, the E-mail Address box should show: winampuser@nullsoft.com.
Old 24th February 2002, 01:54   #7
rapuak

The experiments I'm trying are all over original cds so the problem is not in that. I manage to connect using the server address freedb.freedb.org and I cannot comprehend why with the address www.cddb.com that comes for default in the cdreader plug-in I'm given the "Connect error!" message. I can say that the same error occurs with the standard windows cd-player which can reach nor tunes.com nor music boulevard! Can you answer this question? Thanx
Old 24th February 2002, 02:14   #8
Lamborg

Plugin should show: us.cddb.com:8880. See my prior post above.
Old 24th February 2002, 06:06   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Well, that's for the default Nullsoft CD Input plugin,
though cddb.cddb.com:8880 should also work
I suppose us.cddb.com:8880 is ideal if you're living in the USA.

However, the CDReader plugin (v1.95) uses freedb.freedb.org by default.

How to Configure Winamp to access FreeDB

Neither plugin uses www.cddb.com, so I don't know where you got that from,
unless you were using an old version of CDReader?
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2002, 08:37   #10
rapuak

I've downloaded the plug-in from the site yesterday but the version is 1.71.... where did you got the last one? I'm wondering: is it possible that somewhere in the computer there's an address of cddb that is adoptede by default? I've creative playcenter2 installed and neither there cddb is functioning!
Old 24th February 2002, 08:39   #11
rapuak

dj egg as to the cdreader last version I have found it in the link you sent....... thanx
Old 24th February 2002, 12:49   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yes, I can't believe that the version available @ winamp.com/plugins is still that old buggy v1.71

Basically, as from a few months ago, Gracenote (cddb.com) switched over from using cddb1 to cddb2.
Therefore, only cddb2 compliant software is compatible.
The new Nullsoft plugin (in_cdda.dll) in WA2.78 is compatible with cddb2 and therefore should still work with one of the addresses in my previous post.
However, the CDReader plugin is NOT compatible with cddb2, so all the older versions of both plugins are pretty useless with the default cddb.com settings, whereas the latest 1.95 version of CDReader uses freedb.freedb.org by default

I think I'll e-mail the author and ask him to please submit the new version to the winamp plugins section. Then we won't get any more problems such as this one

As for Creative PlayCenter, well my advice is to uninstall that p.o.s. as soon as possible. But if you really want to keep it, then you'll also need to change its cddb address to freedb.freedb.org because PlayCenter2 is also not compatible with Gracenote cddb2.
And . . . whilst we're on the subject,
make sure gen_nomad.dll hasn't reared its ugly head.
Old 24th February 2002, 18:39   #13
rapuak

ok I will follow your suggestion and will uninstall Creative PlayCenter.... I've already disabled the gen_... plug-in. A last suggestion.... why the standard win CD Player doesn't use cddb... and why it can't find my cds on line?
thanx
Old 25th February 2002, 09:58   #14
freundchen

Hey,
thanks for Your mails with the cddb. They helped me a lot.

But there are some more questions I have:
What I want to have is a lokal data base for my CD´s which I can share between WinAmp and my CD-burner programm (Nero 5.51), which creates an own local CD data base.
So does anybody know the data format of WinAmp´s default CD-data base? If I open the IN_CDDA.cdb file it seems to be a combination of text and data, which means there are no title lenghts written in the text format. Or do You know, which file the CD-Reader plugin uses as data base?
Maybe these questions are useless for the normal use of WinAmp. But anyway, it would be nice to get the correct songtitles for my CD´s at once without always annoying the net!
freundchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2002, 19:43   #15
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

CDReader uses cdplayer.ini in the Windows dir.
This is the same database as Windows CD Player uses.

Winamp Prefs -> Plugins -> Input -> CDReader -> config -> cddb tab:
Checkmark both "use cddb" and "use local cddb".
Or, if the entries already exist in cdplayer.ini, uncheck "use cddb" and just keep "use local cddb" checked.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support