Old 12th June 2004, 09:53   #81
shaneh
Major Dude

Now available at:
http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=138586

I'd like to add 'click through' ability, so that mouse clicks go through to the window underneath at some point. As well as add bitmapped fonts would be cool. ah well.. something else for the wishlist.
shaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2004, 15:25   #82
electricmime
Major Dude

there are a few problems.. for one thing, at one point (seemingly random) it turned all balck (with white text) and all the titles went over the older titles, and it locked up my computer

second, everytime i turn on winamp, i have to "enable toasts"

when i put the art on top, it only does it with size=Full

whats the point in %hascover%(i know its probably for some complex string, but i havent found a use for it, but it seems like something i would want if you added the %cover% tag for displaying art, but i cant find a use for it as of now, and i was wondering what the intention of it is..)

i dislike the covers you included, and would like them to be optional (via check mark in the install or whatever) because i had an image i was using, and forgot to back it up for the installer (it deleted it)

what does "wrap text" and "center image" and "expand to size" do? (i thought i knew what each did, but they seem to have no effect)

There is no reset button on life... but the graphics kick ass
electricmime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2004, 15:48   #83
siebe83
Forum King

Did you make the toaster appear when the playlist is openend on purpose?
(also, pressing spacebar in playlist will make it appear)

Thanks for implementing the 'hide on left click' option!

[edit]
forgot to ask:
what does %length% do?
for me it inserts the time in miliseconds...
(a 2 minute song made it say 120358)

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2004, 16:06   #84
shaneh
Major Dude

The expand cover option makes the album cover the maximum width or height possible, without adjusting the size of the toast.

The wrap text option wraps text. (Rather than truncating it at the edges)

Disable the 'expand cover' option if you want to put the covers at the top, and adjust the size so they are a bit smaller. As the readme/faq says, there are a lot of inputs in deciding the various sizes, so it takes some tweaking. You just need to learn how it works and play about with it.

The center image centers the cover vertically or horizontally. You will need to have 'expand covers' off to notice any effect.

The enable toasts bug has just been fixed along with a bug with using winamp 2.x in b2 which has just been upped.

If I didn't make the covers optional, Id probably have more people asking how to use covers than people complaining about their covers being overwritten. the choice is a simple matter of economics and time. I don't get paid.

The %hascover% is useful when the cover image isn't used to limit the text boundries. And you want to only display text when there is no cover, otherwise the text would go over the top of the album cover. You would need to delete toast_track for this behaviour.

Going blank locking up etc. Dunno, but if your machine is getting locked up by user code, you must have a buggy driver or windows is buggy, because that is supposed to be impossible in theory.

The toast appearing on playlist opened etc will only occur when you have the 'all track notifications' option set.

%length% inserts the time in milliseconds. Use %lengthf% for a formatted vesion. %length% is best used with cmp: to check for short/long songs etc.
Old 12th June 2004, 19:51   #85
ilyag

Thanks, works great! The mods should've given it more stars...

Here is more of a curiosity than a bug. I was trying to insert the %shuffle% tag in an $if. However, $if(%shuffle, true, false) always returns true. At the same time the $if seems to be supposed to behave like in C... Comparing %shuffle% with zero using %cmp% works.

The strangeness is basically this:

%shuffle% $if(%shuffle%, yes, no) $if(0,yes,no)
returns 0 yes no

I wonder why...
ilyag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2004, 03:55   #86
shaneh
Major Dude

%shuffle% returns 0 or 1. $if checks for valid tags, not 0. ie, %shuffle% returning 0 is treated as a valid tag.

You should do:

$if(%cmp(:shuffle=1)%, yes, no)

you will notice $if(1,yes,no) also returns no. This is because 1 isn't a tag returning a valid string.

For %ishttp% and so on, I actually make it return an invalid string (NULL) to signify false, so it works like that.

Last edited by shaneh; 13th June 2004 at 05:00.
Old 13th June 2004, 04:50   #87
electricmime
Major Dude

okay, that all makes sense... but i still cant figure out how to make /n work..

Old 13th June 2004, 04:53   #88
shaneh
Major Dude

It is \n. It is mentioned in the .htm and I don't think Ive written the slash the other way anywhere else.

It is put in your formatting lines wherever you want a line break.
Old 13th June 2004, 05:02   #89
electricmime
Major Dude

ah, i searched the htm, but probably screwed up when i typed it /n

it works now, thx..

Old 14th June 2004, 07:54   #90
Chr1zt1an

one question, this plugin downloads the cover ? or i have to have them ?
Chr1zt1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2004, 08:18   #91
skinme!
Forum King

You have to have them already. Of course, there are numerous programs which download them for you and will store them either as folder.jpg in a folder for each album or in the MP3 itself.

He had decided to live forever, or die in the attempt
In America - a must see film
skinme! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2004, 11:03   #92
Chr1zt1an

can you please name one program ?

need to sleep.. 5am here -.-
Old 14th June 2004, 11:20   #93
electricmime
Major Dude

if you had read the thread... i requested something similar, and he said to google album cover art downloader

im not sure why he didnt link the result he meant (i assume the first) but just in case there was a reason... i wont either

Old 14th June 2004, 11:30   #94
skinme!
Forum King

Probably because Google-usage-ability is assumed

This one looks as good as any

Old 14th June 2004, 12:13   #95
shaneh
Major Dude

Theres no reason why I didnt link to the site other than I couldnt be bothered loading google, searching, getting the result, cut'n'pasting etc when its just as easy for the person actually wanting the result to do it. + they might find several others which are good + they could realise that google can be used to actually find stuff rather than asking in forums :P
Old 14th June 2004, 13:43   #96
javajunky

Hey Shane, how extensible is toaster, can other 3rd party plugins interface with it ? IT hought it might be quite cool if when nodes appeared/disappeared from my WombatShare a little notification appeared and thought about interfacing with Toaster? Waddya-think?
javajunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2004, 14:03   #97
shaneh
Major Dude

Ive thought about adding that support. From the beggining Ive tried to make it fairly modular so that I could even break off the class and use it for something other than winamp. Ive tried to keep the actual popup part independant of winamp as much as possible.

Anyway, you can always send the 'IPC_NOTIFICATION' to popup the window with the song (also works with the modern skin notifier).

I can make it possible to pass custom text, however if the user has configured it to show only 0 lines, or has relied on lots of line breaks for correct formatting it won't look too good.

Probably the best thing is to just pass the 4x2 array of text to use and the image if any. The user will then just have to make sure their configuration looks good with both things - the plugin should let the user configure what to pass to Toaster so they can add things like line breaks if necessary. This would be very easy to add, so I guess I may as well.

Eventually I want to make Toaster have several different format settings. One for when rating, one for when playing an internet stream, one for when clicking on it with the right mouse button etc. When I do this, support for 3rd party stuff would probably be improved.

Alternatively, if you dont want to rely on Toaster, you could always make use of the balloon tip stuff built into win xp - though you would need to have winamp as an icon in the systray I believe.
Old 14th June 2004, 14:12   #98
javajunky

Hmm, ok, well it was only an idea, so I can cheerfully wait for you tom get around to implementing it <g>, thanks for the headsup
javajunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2004, 19:54   #99
Chr1zt1an

thanks skinme!
Old 14th June 2004, 20:40   #100
electricmime
Major Dude

i prefer this one

it looks like it gives your more control over what gets chosen.. plus it has a gui, and you can add your own images (if amazon doesnt have it) and lets you choose from similar results from amazon..

2 problems with it.. 1 is you have to sign up for a (free) developers code (or whatever) at amazon, and the second is that it doesnt read from id3 tags, and instead does it by directory..

Old 14th June 2004, 23:00   #101
HaloHQ

Although the new features in this version are cool, they arent really for me because I dont use album art or anything. Is there anyway I can get the version of the plugin that was on winamp.com before? I kinda just want the simplicity back.
HaloHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2004, 03:41   #102
shaneh
Major Dude

@HaloHQ: You can always just turn album art off. It is based on the same code, so that if album art is off, it pretty much follows the same code. You can even get rid of id3lib.dll if you don't use it. It just has many bug fixes and lets you configure a lot of the settings rather than them being hard coded in, plus it uses ATF to allow you to specify what to show.

Performance and behaviour wise, with album art off it would be pretty much identical. So theres nothing to be gained by downgrading other than not being inundated with preferences (which you can just ignore if you don't want to be bothered with them). Basically 0.4 worked in the same way, just the settings were hard coded rather than configurable.

Either way, you can pm me and I'll e-mail you a copy of the (worse IMHO) 0.4 version if you want.
Old 15th June 2004, 11:36   #103
Eloquence

Shane: I just registered here so I realize I'm in no good position to make requests, but I've used Toaster for a week now and find it absolutely amazing. I only have one problem: my mp3 collection is organized so that my covers are called "cover.jpg", and other applications need that format to work. Would it be possible for you to allow customization of the file name that Toaster looks for in a directory when looking for covers, so that it didn't _have_ to be "folder.jpg"?

Again, cheers for a brilliant OSD app and a token donation is on its way!

-E / Øyvind Vevang
Eloquence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2004, 11:40   #104
shaneh
Major Dude

Yeah.. thats something I intend to add. Probably let you add a few different filenames to search for. I know wmp also uses albumartsmall.jpg or something like that so itd be good to be able to add different ones. Plus .png support is already there, which would allow transparency, so itd be good to allow loading those.

I also want to allow it to search up directories so that :

thebestof\disk1\song.mp3

could allow you to just put the one folder.jpg into the thebestof directory rather than under disk1 and disk2 etc.

Of course you realise that by using folder.jpg you also get cool folder icons under winxp so it is the most obvious choice to use.
Old 15th June 2004, 12:19   #105
skinme!
Forum King

Perhaps an option would be use any PNG, JPG, GIF found in directory as last resort. And customisable search order would be good. That way anyone who knew the majority of their album covers were folder.jpg but a few were cover.jpg could specify folder.jpg first, then cover.jpg to avoid needless searching for cover.jpg.

Also: I've been meaning to ask, does the gen.bmp support transparency? I should know -- I used to be a WA2 skinner! If not, could there be an option to use transparent background and then say have trendy luminescent green text!

Old 15th June 2004, 12:24   #106
shaneh
Major Dude

It certainly doesn't under Toaster. Im also pretty sure it doesn't under winamp either. (ie you won't find any semi-transparent media libraries or vis windows etc).

Its something Id like to add at some point, but it wouldnt be done through gen.bmp. Probably a separate toastex.png or something. When/if I add custom scaling, skinless toasts etc I will look at it.
Old 15th June 2004, 19:23   #107
Chr1zt1an

thanks electricmime but after testing with different programs (including Album Cover Art Downloader) for me, this is the program that shows more results.
Old 17th June 2004, 05:24   #108
javalina

Shane --

Just a point of clarification.

The Winamp plugin page for 0.5b2 has the following:

Note: Requires at least Windows 2000+

But the gen_toatser.htm file states:

Toaster was built to run on Windows XP with Winamp 5.03 using classic skins, playing standard Mp3's. If it works on anything else, consider it a bonus.

I can tell you that it does not work on my system running Win2kPro with SP4.

Should it run with Win2k? Or is it designed only to run on Win XP?

Frankly, I'm happy with v 0.4. I don't care about the album covers, etc. But from your remarks here, it appears that 0.52b is a better version even with the artwork disabled. So, I'd like to get it to run on Win2k if possible.

This is a terrific plugin. Thanks for your efforts.

Cheers.
javalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2004, 06:57   #109
shaneh
Major Dude

aye, you will need to download gdi+ redist from microsoft. Chuck gdiplus.dll into the main winamp directory and see how it goes.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...3-54938B6F4614

I tried this on 2k and it worked ok, but if pain persists drop me a line.

I probably should have mentioned this somewhere :P

The new installer will hopefully take this into account. gdiplus.dll is redistributable, but its a bit big to bundle imho.

Last edited by shaneh; 17th June 2004 at 07:12.
Old 18th June 2004, 01:44   #110
javalina

Shane ---

Got it and it works fine. Thanks for that info. You're correct; 0.5b2 is a very nice imporovement over 0.4.

BTW, just a bit OT, but FYI your latest Tips plugin also works fine on Win2k Pro.

Thanks again. I truly appreciate it.
javalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2004, 03:10   #111
shaneh
Major Dude

Cool, good to know. vb3 which should get approved soon has much better support for a missing gdiplus.dll. The tips plugin was originally built for XP, then I recompiled it for win2k, and now after taking out a couple 2k+ only calls, it could possibly even work on 98. But don't hold me to that. Its bundled with Toaster now.

v0.5b3 Changes:

+Define up to 5 different files to search for other than folder.jpg (b4 will probably make this pretty much unlimited, but for now its set at 5)
+A few internal performance improvements
+Initial API stuff for other plugins to make use of Toaster. Probably subject to a bit of change, but will try keep it stable.
+New installer + bundles gen_tips and ml_plsrate

WARNING: There are two .5b3 versions. Make sure you wait a day or so from the date of this message before getting the download. You will know if you have the wrong version if it says 'Hello' etc when increasing the rating of a song. This is left over debug code which is removed in the official b3.

Last edited by shaneh; 18th June 2004 at 04:28.
Old 18th June 2004, 07:14   #112
chaos_simon

toaster is perfectly what i need thanks heaps for it mate i give it 10/10 even though its not finished
chaos_simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2004, 08:47   #113
chaos_simon

just an idea, not sure if its been mentioned but having the option to replace the rating character (®) with an icon file (.ico) so you could use a icon of a star or something?
chaos_simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2004, 10:46   #114
d3x7r0

Send a message via Skype™ to d3x7r0
It would be even cool if you could specify an jpeg or a gif file for the ratings.

NOTE: I am Dextro!
d3x7r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2004, 10:47   #115
skinme!
Forum King

Why have you decided to bundle your plug-ins? Are they going to interact or did you just want them going out together? Just a question, not an attack!

Old 18th June 2004, 13:43   #116
shaneh
Major Dude

@d3xtr0 etc. I was going to make ratingstar use a differnt font so you could use wingdings with some cool star character etc. but using ATF made that a little more complicated, but I suppose it could still be done. But it makes the code a little less clean. Will take a look over the next couple revisions.

@skinme: Theres no real reason other than the plugins are fairly related and they add no significant size to the download. Seeing as the download is already 300kb+ because of id3lib, an extra 1 to 10kb is hardly anything. I don't want to integrate them too much, as Id like to keep them separate enough that people who only want the one or two don't need them all. I just figured people who like Toaster would also like those plugins, and they can easily select not to install them. Plus they arent published like Toaster is, so they dont get much exposure despite being quite 'nifty'.
Old 18th June 2004, 21:35   #117
skinme!
Forum King

Ok, cool. As long as there's an easy option not to install them, which it sounds like there is. No offence - I only just cleaned my plugins dir out!

Old 19th July 2004, 17:11   #118
vardan13

Send a message via Yahoo to vardan13
Any updates on toaster ?
vardan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2004, 02:24   #119
shaneh
Major Dude

Like what? Im currently looking at adding in multi-monitor support, which might be a it tricky to implement, but we'll see how I go.

Ive been 'busy' with holidays, and now Ive gone and broken my arm in a motorcycle "incident" the other day so its a bit of a pain to do much coding. But I imagine in a few days I'll master typing with 1 and a half hands, Im getting better already.

With multi-mon support, I'll probably chuck in support for displaying the tip at 50%, x seconds etc, as thats the feature Id like to see.

After that, Id like to work on the skin generation so that I can support things like scrolling titles, dynamic sizing etc.
Old 20th July 2004, 04:29   #120
bubkaii

Send a message via AIM to bubkaii
sorry to hear about your injury there shaneh, hope you are not too banged up
bubkaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development