Old 25th November 2001, 07:52   #1
Adair

Echo Tubes

This is a folder of presets that go together to make one preset. They all are actually only minor variations on the same preset, but it makes for a cool effect IMHO. For the full effect you should set the transition "time between auto preset changes" to 0.1 and also the "Additional random time" also to 0.1

BTW don't bother reading the readme because it says the same thing you just read.

Oh WOW!!! after downloading all the presets from different people and collected by Rovastar(thanks), I realize I have alot to learn about making cool presets by using the edit perpixel and perframe equations. Hopefully you'll be seeing some more complex presets from me in the future(if I have time).
Attached Files
File Type: zip echotubes.zip (7.1 KB, 231 views)

Last edited by Adair; 25th November 2001 at 08:24.
Adair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2001, 09:40   #2
StudioMusic
Major Dude

I do not think that this is what people are going to want to do (download a folder of presets that go together) I could be wrong but I doubt it. I would take your favorite one out of the foler and post it as a single, because they are not bad, something Rovastar I think would like alot. I keep all my presets in one folder and just let them play, sometimes I lock onto one for a while. You are better off just making one preset at a time and posting them here, if you don't have much experience there is people here that can help you and answer any questions yu might have, me I do not know much but enough to maybe answer a question, but Krash, Unchained or Rovastar can answer more than me. just start making presets and you will start learning the more you do the more you will learn. Your first preset is a start and it is OK, maybe a little bright, but practice makes perfect and I have a long way to go. Also you can not have a folder of presets that make one preset, they are all separate presets with slight variations. SM
StudioMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2001, 12:42   #3
Illusion

I think StudioMusic is right, I tend to keep all my presets in one folder, and I'd recommend just making one that everyone can keep. I think that the best way of starting in making presets is to open one you really like, then play around with some numbers, add bits in from other presets, make up some cool equations, and then you have a preset!

Most of my presets are just mods of other peoples, or very simple ones, I need a lot more practice too, but keep at it and I'm sure we'll see some excellent ones from you soon!

I just posted 8 new presets on the board, please let me know what you think!
Old 25th November 2001, 13:52   #4
unchained
Major Dude

Send a message via Yahoo to unchained
You mean you don't all keep your presets devided up into two directories, one named "Unchained" and the other named "Crap"?

C'mon.

:P
unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2001, 14:06   #5
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
lol

FYI the directories for everyone are
'Presets'
and
'Unchained - Crap (To Be Deleted)'

Rovastar

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2001, 14:38   #6
Illusion

Oh yeah, unchained, I meant to say I have one folder for good presets, then one for the bad presets, and then one other folder which is full of all the really terrible ones, the ones I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole (ie. yours)....

Seriously though, I do have, apart from the main folder, three other directories.. one for new stuff to test out from these boards, one for ones that are too bright / dark, and one for presets that are too slow. I think I have about 150 in my main folder, 30 or so have "problems", the rest I just deleted

Hey, and I bet that really is the folders that you have unchained.. I know you love your own work
Old 25th November 2001, 14:47   #7
StudioMusic
Major Dude

I have three folders one with all the preset's ever made I hope, with the authors names, one with about 25 less (deleted crap ones) without the author's names and one for making and testing, now that my favorite preset is one of mine and unchained's at the moment I am happy and I have a favorite folder that I just started with only 3 in it so far, have to find the others that will go in there, there is at least 100 to go there so far, but have to pull them one by one out of the other folder.
Rovastar I forgot to ask you sinse yu keep all the presets are you going to keep the folder he made or just one of them or none of them and wait tell he post his favorite, if he does? Tell me what you will do and I will do the same, so I am not missing anything and don't need to go download all the presets you update on your site, I have been keeping up with all of them, but this I am not sure what to do. SM
Old 25th November 2001, 14:56   #8
Rovastar

Adair,

If you want more info on writing presets

read

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=65542

something that we started writing a bit ago. Hopefully you will get some pointers.

And keep checking these forums out.

Rovastar

Old 25th November 2001, 15:20   #9
unchained
Major Dude

<hangs his head in shame>

Oh well, I tried milkdrop, but once again I couldn't be the ineffable lord of time n' space. Poop.

Guess I'll go back to coding boot roms and flash cards...fun fun fun!

Ahh well. I'll always remember the good times we had, the hopes and dreams I *thought* we shared. G'bye cruel world. <sniff>
Old 25th November 2001, 15:54   #10
Rovastar

Adair,

I agree with SM about no-one will want to change their MD settings.
BTW you say the setting should be 0.1 auto preset cahnge and 0.1 additional random time. But the problem is that if the auto blend time value is say 1 sec than the presets will change always for 1 second.
So I am not quite sure what effect you are after. AS I do not know your auto blend time.

One of the reasons that no-one changes there MD settings is that the effect you are efter can be done in a single preset check out my mod to see if it is the effect you are after.

If you need it quicker/slower change the multipler on the time varibale in dx, dy and both together in rot.

Hope you understand,

Rovastar
Attached Files
File Type: zip rovastar and avair - the echo tube.zip (858 Bytes, 166 views)

Old 25th November 2001, 16:01   #11
Rovastar

Oppps typo
Attached Files
File Type: zip rovastar and adair - the echo tube.zip (858 Bytes, 180 views)

Old 26th November 2001, 04:49   #12
Adair

Thanks for all the feed back, everyone. I kinda knew that most people wouldn't like to change their transition times, but thanks to those who gave it a try.
Also extra thanks to rovastar. You definitely got close to the effect I was after. I would just say that the swirl effect makes it too jerky. Maybe it would look better if it didn't swirl back and forth quite as far. To clarify: I mean I was looking for a smoother effect that doesn't jump. I don't know if its possible to slow down the rotation. Hmmm, anyway I'm not trying to tell you how to make what's in my mind or asking you to rewrite the preset. I'll look at what you did in the mod and your suggestions more tomorrow. BTW I almost forgot to say that I had the auto blend time at 0.1 also.
later,
Adair
Adair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2001, 05:49   #13
unchained
Major Dude

mod mod mod
Old 26th November 2001, 12:20   #14
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Even though these kind of presets are not my favorite, unchained yu did a great job of making it the way it should be. God damm I still love Driven by Propulsion, it's the best, but I must admit MD is dependent on what hardware you got to run it I hope everyone has at least half of the power I got to appreciate what I do, otherwise get more video memory and more precessor power. boy am I drunk and fuck up now. SM
Old 26th November 2001, 12:33   #15
Illusion

unchained, are you trying to get in the Guinness book of world records for the world's longest filename?
Old 26th November 2001, 12:39   #16
Illusion

Oh yeah, nice mod by the way unchained, hopefully this was what Adair was trying to do.

Adair, I'd recommend trying to do anything in one preset, rather than a folder.. what I'm assuming you were doing was switch presets so quickly that the shape kept moving to a different corner, but it is possible to do this without having to use lots of different presets to get one effect.

Have a look at what unchained did to your code and hopefully it'll make sense, although knowing unchained he's probably trying to make his code as confusing as possible

Please keep trying and make some more, the more we have to try out, the better! You'll get the hang of it soon...
Old 26th November 2001, 14:02   #17
unchained
Major Dude

I did some somewhat confusing stuff in the per_pixel, but the place where I set the rotation is simple enough, I think.
Old 27th November 2001, 01:57   #18
Illusion

Yeah, I did understand what you were doing unchained, it's much easier to understand than those 35-line per_frame presets.. I was just having a go at you
Old 27th November 2001, 03:17   #19
Zylot
Major Dude

Just you guys wait till ig et milkdrop back running, JUST YOU WAIT

RAAAAAAAAAAARRRG

*kills himself*

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Zylot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2001, 04:06   #20
unchained
Major Dude

s'up chief? think you can step up to the master?
Old 27th November 2001, 18:04   #21
Zylot
Major Dude

you got yers comin' to yah, boy.. some day..

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Old 27th November 2001, 21:38   #22
unchained
Major Dude

You're in MY HOUSE, son.

Sheeeeeit, the only thing capable of stopping me is lack of drugs.
Old 28th November 2001, 00:27   #23
Zylot
Major Dude

/me steals your drugs

that was easy enough, yah suckah

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Old 28th November 2001, 01:04   #24
unchained
Major Dude

ooh, an irc rat?

/me phears
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets