Old 8th February 2011, 19:18   #1
heinz57g

Resize the Track Notification Popup

When one uses WINAMP for years, it becomes something like a family member: You take it for granted. And though you update, occasionally, any real changes come as a surprise.

Now have i missed something? The Track Notification Popup used to be resizable with CTR-Richtclick, but with v5.60x all this does makes the window vanish in an instant. Am I doing something wrong, or what have i missed (probably quite a while ago)? I NEED this popup really large ... now more than before.

Any tips welcome.

Greetings - Heinz -
heinz57g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 19:40   #2
DrO

i was never aware of such a feature on the notifier window unless you were using an alternative plug-in like the Toaster plug-in to do it?

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 20:36   #3
heinz57g

no, never used toaster. have a handwritten note here i made, admittedly, quite a few years ago, on which it says ''WINAMP, (Johnnymac) resize notification popup, config, options, notifications, more, turn hold all the way up, play track to bring up notification bubble, ctrl/right click on it, menu pops up, then adjust scaling, back out, return hold time to normal''.

now i am sure i didnt make this up. doesnt Johnnymac refer to a moderator here? i tried to find that post, but it might have been erased already. and even then, might not be valid anymore. on the other side, if this resizing option was there, i would think they did not go backwards and remove such a useful thing, no?

greetings - heinz -
Old 8th February 2011, 21:00   #4
DrO

JonnyMac is a moderator on here.

from looking at your old posts, all i can find is http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=257551 and http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=256994 (where toaster is suggested) but there's nothing i can see that directly relates to the notifier following the same window scaling options as the other windows do.

so either i'm missing something though to my knowledge nothing has been changed in the modern skin engine in a few client versions and i've never known the notifier to be able to be scaled in the first instance (unless it was broken in 5.5 which was the last time there was a change made to the modern skin notifier when it was made more like the Bento skin's version).

-daz
Old 8th February 2011, 21:28   #5
heinz57g

daz, you are such a capacity on plugins, your own and others, that i tend to believe you 1000%. but somehow, i did write this down, and for sure it related to the notification bubble, nothing else. i actually DID use it, even before my eyes got worse. and yes, i did not mention this in my own questions and posts, as i found it myself (by chance, here on the forum).

give me some time, i might find the old post. since i wrote down his name, i might ask JonnyMac directly and see if he remembers. he would be reading here?

meantime: you say there is nothing but toaster that could create a fairly large popup, right? so for the time being, let me try this. hope i can manage.

many greetings - heinz -
Old 8th February 2011, 21:42   #6
DrO

i can only base things on what i can see / remember myself and so i could be wrong. and i don't doubt that it probably did work from something if you've made a note but i can only go on what i'm seeing in the version in front of me at the moment.

as for trying toaster, i really don't know if that has such a means to change the size (it's the only alternative notifier plug-in that i can think off).

hmm, infact i think there was an open source notifier for modern skins though i've no idea what happened to that or even what it provided... maybe that was it though if it still exists i bet the chance of it still working is slim (if it could be found).

either way, isn't too much else i can do as modern skins just aren't my real area.

-daz
Old 8th February 2011, 22:22   #7
heinz57g

but thanks anyhow for making my thinking about it not so lonely.

>> modern skins just aren't my real area

pity, i would love to pick your brain. not only is my eyesight not anymore what it used to be (and the little NetBooks dont help), but i am also setting up computers for a number of visually impaired people, some of them even musicians, and there i have to use Modern Skins, in the most vibrant colors (black on yellow), and with the most readable large characters i can find. so if anyone here has any alternate ideas, on anything i missed the past couple of years, let me have it.

greetings - heinz -
Old 9th February 2011, 01:09   #8
JonnyMac

There were two threads threads relating to scaling the notifications window...

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=228544
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=162260

It may have been a unimplemented or unintended feature on earlier versions of Winamp. I have no idea of the whys and when it was removed. However, if you still could scale the notifier, it would not a practical solution. Because the notifier is at a fixed position, when it is enlarged part of it will start to disappear (cut off) in the corner of the screen. There was an open source notifier, but it did not have any size options. Also, it had a compatibilty issue with newer versions of Winamp.

Toaster is so highly configurable, I think that is the best bet. In the previous thread, I did make a preset for Toaster based on your request. I no longer use Toaster and I don't fully remember how the preset looked.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 09:24   #9
heinz57g

jonny, tks a lot for jumping in here. it would have taken me days to find those posts, my scribbles were only part of what you had written then. but yes, those were the posts, and the instructions i was referring to. so it DID exist, a simple way of re-sizing the bubble. maybe even adjust its position? gone it is, we will never know. wonder why it was removed: i am sure i am not the only one to find it most useful.

>> Toaster is so highly configurable, I think that is the best bet

tks, this will be my weekend project then. is there anywhere a more detailed description and instruction for toaster?

>> In the previous thread, I did make a preset for Toaster based on your request

my own? let me find it (did just now, and added to the weekend project). maybe it still works. will report back here for others to see, too.

once more, many thanks to the both of you for helping me out.

greetings - heinz -

PS: just read the last few entries in the long TOASTER thread. so forget my weekend project, far too complicated 'fixes and solutions', and mentioned as a dead project. so what do i do to get a re-sizable/re-positionable bubble to pop up on track changes? i just dont believe i am the only one who finds this highly useful.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support