Old 2nd February 2015, 17:22   #1
Pantaleao

Any Shouthost.com review?

Hello,

I'm currently searching for a shoutcast host and I came by this one called "shouthost" (shouthost.com), and as far as I can see, their offer seems the best one I could find, but there is something I saw once that worries me: "If it's too good to be true, it's too good to be true".

So here is the offer they have in their website that got me interested:

128 bitrate
$10.00 - 100 Listeners
Instant and Free Setup
Unlimited Bandwidth
10 GB Auto DJ Included
Free Web Hosting Included

Maybe I'm just missing something and this is an "ok" offer, but I want to know you guys opinion about this host.

Also, if this offer or host are not that good, does anyone know a good shoutcast host?
Here's what I need:

- AutoDJ with at least 2GB, because internet in my city (and country) isn't good enough to stream from my PC (also energy companies have uncountable problems with rain).
- Not so many listener slots, like, 30 would be great to begin with.
- The bitrate, I leave to you guys, I'd like a sufficient one, but it really doesn't need to be perfect

Thank you in advance and sorry for any English mistakes,
Pantaleao.
Pantaleao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 21:12   #2
sleepybrain

I am not able to find any reviews but Shout Host web reputation is 100/100

http://www.webutation.net/go/review/shouthost.com
sleepybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 21:50   #3
Pantaleao

@sleepybrain

hey, thanks for the reply, but I have a question, that reputation you linked, is it just about shouthost as a website or also as a host service?
Because reading the info, looks like it's only about the website itself.
Old 6th February 2015, 21:53   #4
sleepybrain

It looks like it is just for the web site reputation. I'm not seeing any reviews. You can always try contacting them if you have questions.
Old 6th February 2015, 22:18   #5
Pantaleao

The thing is: questions I do have, but my most important concern is with their service quality, and asking them about that would be the same as asking a car salesman if his cars are good...
Old 6th February 2015, 22:44   #6
sleepybrain

I understand. What I would look for is response time. How long does it take to get a response to your inquiry. I have heard that some providers take up to 24 hours, sometimes days to receive a reply.
Old 7th February 2015, 06:01   #7
ram130

Send a message via AIM to ram130 Send a message via Yahoo to ram130
I'm a shouthost customer and let me say. I love them. Frankly they kept me from switching over to shoutcast free hosting service. That's a good thing.

For service. It's awesome. The only time I have had an issue is when they go down for maintenance which is not frequent or any concern. They do it every few months and alert you ahead of time. Their server has been reliable. I have a growing station, their plans enable me to grow my radio with no problems. Pricing is also great. They also have Shoutcast V2 on board, the latest version! Which I love. They make it super EASY to switch plans via just a email and confirmation.

Customer service. I've contacted them a good amount and rate their customer service a 10 because I've gotten every question I've had since 2012 answered. If it's technical, a more knowledgeable person replies or jumps in to help or make changes(like updating shoutcast on demand). They also allow me to update my shoutcast config on the go, just like that. All I got to do is send a email with the changes I want added(mainly for debugging stuff for Shoutcast devs). This flexibility in customer service is just great for me. As for reply time, they usually get back to me within 12hours or less(much less). This depends on the time I sent my email and their working hours. Especially holidays. Most times I get a reply within a hour. Look. Support is great and they will always be there to assist. Whether it's changing servers if some hater decides to attack your radio or simple inquires like, changing billing date. Ok, I can go all day about support. Been a customer since 2012.

Feel free to ask me some questions if you need more assurance.

Ramon
ram130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 16:49   #8
SodaWerks

I unfortunately got "bought in" with ShoutHost's pre-paid packaged deals as well. I have to say - it has been less than pleasant. There is a customer service person there named Jeremy Conner - this guy is disrespectful, condescending, rude, arrogant and borderline abusive. 95% of the links of their sites on how to setup the station using SHOUTcast servers are broken - if you submit a TTicket for help - you get abused by Jeremy. There appears to be only three customer service reps Keith/Jeremy/Gregory - all of whom only knows how to regurgitate sending a link which only leads to a 401 or 404 http page. ShoutHost's documentation is very, very dated - they send you links to a setup youtube page that has a very old version of the control panel, etc. Pre-sales was no difference, I wanted to ask sales before I signed up "SHOUTcast" or "ICEcast" based on the type of broadcasting I was going to be doing, never got a response from their pre-sales department. Latest WTF TTicket is, I specifically stated this would be a "live" broadcast type of station, well, it appears WinAmp w/Shoutcast's DSP plug-in is not the best way of "LIVE" broadcast, so they told me to download "edcast" via the link they sent and use "edcast" as the DSP. Well the link did download "edcast" from "djlab" but it is a corrupted file and would not install. Clobbered my registry and when I contacted Jeremy about it, he arrogantly said he would remote in, he did, but he could not get it to install or work either, so he just never responded. They are not away Edcast has EOL a long time ago, replaced by "edcast-reborn" and there are two .dlls sets of which "which is to be installed"? They do not know, Jeremy just threw a fit and closed the session and would not respond. I cannot rate their service as I have yet to get it working, so that is still a question mark. If you are only pumping music without any "live" broadcasting - Shouthost might be an option, but if you ever need to submit a trouble-ticket - expect abuse, disrespectful customer service, arrogant idiots who do not know how to respond outside of a script that will just send you a broken link to what ever it is you are trying to do. I am now trying to deal with their mgmt to see if the problem can be resolved or I will have to look for a different shoutcast hosting service. Either way, I have wasted a lot of time and money and not at all happy with SHOUThost.
SodaWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 03:23   #9
jaromanda
Forum King

edcast-reborn is long dead too - altacast http://www.altacast.com/ is the way to go as it's poo don't stink

"If you don't like DNAS, write your own damn system"

So I did
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 07:15   #10
craigsoz

Since this is one of the first results when looking up shouthost reviews on Google, I thought I might share my experience here as well.

I'm 11 months into using shouthost.com, and I'm sad to say I'll be switching to a different host ASAP. The service is downright terrible. The support staff serves no purpose as they will outright ignore you most of the time.

The 99% uptime money-back guarantee is just for show. They are down way more than what they claim and asking about the guarantee or the downtime just gets you ignored.

On average it takes their staff up to 48 hours to respond during workdays, if ever. The responses are almost never coherent or related to the issue you are having. They're also fairly unpleasant and condescending, as someone before me said already.

There are issues with their logs, there are issues with their uptime, there are issues with the AutoDJ - a service this glitchy either requires FANTASTIC staff, or needs to be working perfectly, if the support staff is absolutely useless and uninterested in doing their jobs.
craigsoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 19:29   #11
ram130

Honestly I don't see why you guys are having a terrible experience. Being with them since 2012. I have to say their reply time is reasonable. It's not the best and some times 2-3 days. But I can see with holidays and limited staff.

I've had nothing but a positive experience with them. And if they mess up, say server was down, they give a bill credit. Most times without me asking. If your gonna ask them "Hey can you setup my server for live broadcast for me?" Then I can understand why they are less useful. They are paid to mentor you. You have to learn and research how shoutcast works and the best software to use. it's not hard. As for broken links, if thats true, then I have to agree you with on that. There should be no excuse in not keeping your site current. Otherwise, I get my info else anyways.

And if you guys think I'm paid to defend them. See my site which is hosted by them and HAVE done a live broadcast: hitzconnect.com

Ramon
Old 24th August 2016, 04:34   #12
SodaWerks

That was the same as I found them, rude, condescending, lack of support, will ignore the TTickets, you can create as many as you like, they still ignore, never answer the phone, I get the impressions this is a guy who has a box in a closet and it not busy with day job - might answer a question. I just do not understand why they are so nasty. And I have researched them, one you might see a posting, a negative one, then two days later its gone, they have a FB account - I saw a couple of negative remarks, two days later the postings on FB were gone.
SodaWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 19:11   #13
ram130

Still going strong here. They are also http://hostingmembercenter.com ....try that instead. Maybe the support is focus more there. But haven't had an issue since I wrote that review. Stream is fast and efficient.

Ramon
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions

Tags
host, review, shoutcast