Old 23rd September 2009, 13:30   #1
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I Could Use A Little Help Here(No, Really)

I got the computer from my office. It's a Gateway SX 2800. 64x Intel chip running Vista(until Oct.22nd, then I get a free upgrade). I also got a Netgear WNDR 3300router; all this was a freebie. I have a lot of music and Nero and some other stuff on my old emachine(which was a very good lil workhorse) running xp. Uh...do I use a USB2 adapter to transfer? Do I use Cables? New machine has 1394 port. Do I make a Bridge network using the netgear? Do I run a program? Any help in very simple language would be appreciated. Thanking you all in advance. Oh..Oh I have me a printer now and I set it up myself!
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:50   #2
rockouthippie
Banned

You'll need to install Nero on the new machine from the installer program. Your serial number should allow you to install the version you own even if you download it from Nero. I don't know about older versions and 64 bit OS if you are using Vista 64. They may not work. I use Nero 7 and have no problems with 32 bit Vista. You should download the latest version from Nero and not install any version you might have laying around. If you are using < Nero 7, you're probably gonna have problems with Vista. I wouldn't even try it. I mean I REALLY wouldn't try it....

Plug both machines into the router via CAT 5 cables.

On the Vista machine, create a folder in /Users/Public. Name it something. Right click --> Sharing --> Advanced Sharing. Set the file permission for User "everyone" to "Full Control" Vista will burb and wretch and black the screen a few times to open the firewall etc. Agree with everything.

Go to your XP machine. Click on Network Places. You should find the Vista machine listed and the subdirectory will contain your shared folder. Copy and paste anything you want into the network folder. It'll be a little slow because you are only sending 100 megabit, but it's the simplest way.

If you don't find the Vista computer in your network places, type \\ followed by the Vista machine name in the url bar followed by \. Vista may not broadcast the presence of the machine on the network. You can fix this in the firewall settings, but I don't remember how off hand.
Old 23rd September 2009, 14:10   #3
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

The netgear has "Telephone plugs"
Netgear's wndr 3300
"Vista will burb and wretch and black the screen a few times to open the firewall etc. Agree with everything."
uhhhh...errr ok...
I'm going to look up Cat cables right now. I hope they have telephone line connections. Thank you very much. I was going to try a bridge which I actually have done before.
But the music folder is BIG!! As for Nero. I don't know. It actually came with the emachine, which was 2002, if that helps. I love that program. And Vista won't let me download Peer Guardian, even when I put it Command prompt written by them to acccept program...Fuckers!!
Oh, btw, Thanks. You always are very helpful with computer stuff. It's appreciated!
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:32   #4
rockouthippie
Banned

Ethernet cables (CAT 5) look like phone cables sorta, but they aren't. Phone cables won't work.

Nero from 2002 likely won't work. Like I said Nero 7 or above is Vista compatible. If you try to install Nero 6 or below you will probably not be able to uninstall it with the uninstaller and it won't work. To clean up the mess you'll need to look at the Nero web site and find the "cleaner" program to uninstall it.

You should be able to tell what version you have by looking at it on your XP machine.

As far as Peer Guardian goes.... I'm skeptical whether it does any real good anyway.

I would guess you could move 200 megabytes a minute over the lan. Your other choice with USB2 would be faster, but you'd have to take the hard disk out of the XP machine and use an adapter.

EDIT: It would be best if you did not do multiple copy and paste operations at the same time. One batch of files at a time. Would probably be good if you didn't use the internet while copying either.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 23rd September 2009 at 15:57.
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:59   #5
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I thought the USB2 thingy was like an adapter for wireless PC to PC usage. Like you plugged it in a USB port and then "bridged" or something. I am not the person to be opening up my machine...Nooooo... Anyway, if those Cat5 cables and then opening up network on Vista work and I guess I only need one moniter..right? Are their programs that you run to migrate? Just wondering?And can one run two computers(non laptops) off a router with an adapter of sorts?
Well, can they?

Last edited by Widdykats; 23rd September 2009 at 16:46.
Old 23rd September 2009, 18:12   #6
fc*uk

Widdy, if you can wait a while before you get your paws on it ...

http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop...urceID=k216835

USB transfer cable, though not wireless, will plug into both computers and allow you to migrate files from one to the other.
Old 23rd September 2009, 18:45   #7
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Uh...Is it faster than that Cat 5 thingy?
Oh, would you know if one can have two Desktops on a Router. One connected to a modem and one on an adapter that doesn't involve opening my desktop? AGRH! My recipe files are in there, too. Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!>>>>>><<<<<<>>.
Do I need two monitors?
And thanks to you, too.
Old 23rd September 2009, 20:02   #8
fc*uk

USB2 has a burst rate of 480 Mbps. A 10/100 nic will have a transfer rate of 100 Mbps.

The sustained transfer rate of USB2 is about about 300 Mbps, if what I have read is correct.

So, yes, it should be faster then sending the files over a network.

Yes, you can connect two desktops into a router as long as the router has enough telephone looking ports on it. Most home routers sold have an internet port and four computer ports. As long as both computers have network cards, then you would not have to open your computer.

You could get away with one monitor if you went the Cat5 route or the USB route and just have both computers close by so you could manually switch it from one to the other.

Actually Windows remote desktop connection could be used so that you could access the computer without a monitor from the computer with a monitor ... but that would be another step...
Old 23rd September 2009, 20:08   #9
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Is windows remote desktop free? Or on the system? See cause I thought if you hook them up, you could go "into" say the old one(who is sitting over there) and pick folders to transfer because the " XPFolders" would show up on the network on the Monitor in Vista. Is that clear? And then you could "pick" what you transfer; like Music, and recipes and my friends pictures and stuff to transfer.
Old 23rd September 2009, 20:18   #10
fc*uk

Remote desktop comes with XP, not sure about Vista as I have not used it.

If it is not on Vista, then google for realVNC ... they are free and can install on both.

You are correct on how it works if you use some sort of a remote desktop application between the two computers. You would pick folders on the computer without a monitor from the computer with a monitor to show up on the network. You could then transfer those files to the computer with a monitor over the network.
Old 23rd September 2009, 20:22   #11
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

So, Is this right? Cat5 and then maybe this
This here and then click and transfer. I do have an 1394 on the Vista that's OHC (or whatever it is that lets you use it openly) and some tech places say that's fast. But the Cat5 sounds nice and simple...like moi.
And thanks again, I appreciate the help.
Old 23rd September 2009, 20:27   #12
fc*uk

Yep widdy, that should be right.

If you can get the networking ironed out, then you would be all set. If you have any wireless devices that share your internet connection, then chances are good you know how to get that done.

RoH's suggestion over cat5 makes things easy. Using Windows Remote Desktop makes it even easier. From helping people in other areas of the forums with setting up a network ... well some have trouble with it. Don't know how good you are at that, which is why I suggested the USB cable ... If you can handle it, cat5 is the way to go.
Old 23rd September 2009, 21:40   #13
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

*Sticks Router Cable In Mouth And Waits For Lights On Modem To Go On*
Well, for transfering I don't have to be on the *InterWeb*!
And this will be my first router at home with a desktop and I'm still trying to find out if I can get the older PC to work somehow wirelessly. Van also gave me an old Sony Vaio, that has to be on a plug, but ran on his Lynksys Router and tomorrow he is giving me a card.
I mean, what could go wrong? >.<
Old 23rd September 2009, 22:28   #14
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally posted by Widdykats
*Sticks Router Cable In Mouth And Waits For Lights On Modem To Go On*
Pics or it did not happen

Don't worry, if you do happen to get stuck, I am sure we can help you out ....
Old 23rd September 2009, 22:34   #15
rockouthippie
Banned

Last time I looked at USB bridge adapters they were horrible expensive. It looks like about $20 now. 3X faster than 10/100 ethernet and I think just about the same setup procedure. I'm not sure, I never used one. I wouldn't care because my computers are about 70 feet apart.

Quote:

Sticks Router Cable In Mouth And Waits For Lights On Modem To Go On
Wouldn't that be nice.... Fat chance...

Cable
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/119
DSL
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/120

While DHCP will take care of assigning Class C IP addresses to you lan computers, you have to configure the router for access to the internet.

If your VCR is still blinking 12, call your ISP tech support. I'm sure they explain this every minute.
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:29   #16
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Well, thanks very much guys. I go to Best Buy tomorrow for a new Monitor..20 or 23" but I want very good picture quality. The LG in the office(20") wasn't bad for only $139.
But I could go up to about $300. for a 23 if it was good quality picture wise. If you have suggestions, that's cool. I'm a little nervous about the router, but worse case you put everything back and start over. I printed out the manual 'cause I don't have it. It didn't look too difficult except for the put the ip addy in somewhere. I saved the default router IP. just in case.
@ ROH I feel like I have wires all over the place right now. The Printer I used a USB hook-up but it's right next to me on a little roll away. But the other PC(Tower) is just sitting on the floor(all alone with nothing to do) But stringing a cable to it feels so cluttered. I'd like to set it up "FreeStylin' ...if I could.
Dad!!!
Old 24th September 2009, 00:34   #17
fc*uk

You can shoot me later, but I just can't resist.

Disguise text for link

Only a wee bit outside of your price range.

Old 24th September 2009, 00:52   #18
rockouthippie
Banned

I'm not enthusiastic about Best Buy.

If it were me, I'd see if I could find one of these.

Acer X223WBD

Costco sells them for $155. It's 22" 1650X1050, has HDCP compatibility with DVI (HDCP/DVI is important). I have been quite happy with a few Acer monitors I've had. One is 5 years old and still going strong. The color of Acer monitors is really pleasing compared to other inexpensive monitors. I have a Viewsonic 23" that is kinda bleh.

You can get better monitors (by spending exponentially more), but this should be good bang for the buck.
Old 24th September 2009, 01:20   #19
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally posted by fc*uk
You can shoot me later, but I just can't resist.

Disguise text for link

Only a wee bit outside of your price range.

O.O 0000000 *sigh*
Well, nuts!
@ROH: That's got a good picture quality. And I can afford it.
Old 24th September 2009, 05:50   #20
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

/edit
Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.
Old 25th September 2009, 10:48   #21
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Is Too, I got me a Samsung Thin Screen (Way pretty) Monitor..on sale. but, not by much..It has Magic "buttons"
Old 25th September 2009, 12:41   #22
ujay
Forum King

You be carefull there young Widdy.
I've eaten them 'magic buttons' before and the screen turned all swirly and weird colours. Then it melted.

UJ
Old 25th September 2009, 13:01   #23
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Ujay!!!
Well, that would explain a lot.
Old 25th September 2009, 14:55   #24
ujay
Forum King

Back on topic, it looks like I have to get a new monitor.

I've had a Samsung for aboout 4-5 years and it looks like the blanking circuits are starting to go home. It comes up with 'Unsupported resolution' sometimes and won't switch through the KVM. Turning it off at the wall for a few minuits usually clears it, but it's starting to get annoying. It's done me very well though, no complaints considering the amout of use it gets.

I'm looking at this one :

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/24-Ii...920-x-1080-2ms

It's got all the inputs and screen res. and stuff, and should be good for TV.

UJ
Old 25th September 2009, 15:26   #25
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^That's way nice, Ujay! (Fancey)
I got this one This one..here . It's only 20", but it is very attractive and the color is very rich. It"refreshes" every 2cms...whatever the hell that means..It has buttons that appear if you place your hand at the bottom of the screen. It's a hoot. I like the features..and I have thirty days to see if we fall in love.
Old 25th September 2009, 16:11   #26
ujay
Forum King

Damn it Widdy, that sure is pretty.

They do a 23" version of that model that's about the same spec and price as the ProLite and now I can't make my mind up between the two

UJ
Old 25th September 2009, 16:18   #27
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

I looked at that, also. It's about $269 to 280, over here. I love the clear bevel around the edge and it's so thin(It could be "The Audrey Hepburn" of Monitors)
Old 25th September 2009, 23:53   #28
fc*uk

Widdy, I dunno what you do in terms of job, but you ought to consider working for Samsung.

I think you just sold one of those 20 inch monitors for them.

so, like, you really like it??? Because I need a new one. I got my muddy paws all over mine too many times while chasing the mouse pointer and now it is all icky ...
Old 26th September 2009, 16:07   #29
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ I don't like it; I LOVE IT!!! (It has "Magic On" buttons , it's thin..It has that bevel, It is so cool)
See

Last edited by Widdykats; 18th March 2010 at 20:39.
Old 26th September 2009, 23:54   #30
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
^ Is Too, I got me a Samsung Thin Screen (Way pretty) Monitor..on sale. but, not by much..It has Magic "buttons"
I was talking about my post.
Old 27th September 2009, 00:00   #31
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ oh! I feel stupid. Of course, nothing new about that.
Sorry if I sounded snotty.
Old 27th September 2009, 03:08   #32
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
The monitor I use could have come with the "buttons" if I had bought the Dell version (made by Samsung), but the version with the actual Samsung label was over $100 less expensive with regular buttons - same panel, same features otherwise.

I was looking for a media-editing quality sPVA model.

The one I picked up:
http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consume...=LS27HUCCB/XSH

The Dell alternative (same panel by Samsung):
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=223-9379

The Samsung isn't exactly sexy, but I like it like that - almost all display (almost no boarder/frame). Boarder/frame is a matte/flat texture to avoid reflection of light and fingerprinting. It makes it look rather boring, but helps the focus stay on the screen. The Dell added an SD card slot in the rear, but I didn't really need it considering I had a card reader on the tower anyway.

At the time (September 2008), the Dell was around $1000 and the Samsung was $890 (both before shipping).

My new work laptop that they got me has a few of those "buttons" for adjusting volume and other above-keyboard functions. Nifty, but no tactile feedback, and they don't always respond on the first attempt. Hopefully the controls on yours are better. Do you have any fingerprinting issues at all?

Don't forget to live before you die.
Old 27th September 2009, 03:14   #33
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
^ oh! I feel stupid. Of course, nothing new about that.
Sorry if I sounded snotty.
It's all good. <3
Old 27th September 2009, 08:56   #34
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
tactile feedback
Amen.
Old 27th September 2009, 09:40   #35
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
The monitor I use could have come with the "buttons" if I had bought the Dell version (made by Samsung), but the version with the actual Samsung label was over $100 less expensive with regular buttons - same panel, same features otherwise.

I was looking for a media-editing quality sPVA model.

The one I picked up:
http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consume...=LS27HUCCB/XSH

The Dell alternative (same panel by Samsung):
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=223-9379

The Samsung isn't exactly sexy, but I like it like that - almost all display (almost no boarder/frame). Boarder/frame is a matte/flat texture to avoid reflection of light and fingerprinting. It makes it look rather boring, but helps the focus stay on the screen. The Dell added an SD card slot in the rear, but I didn't really need it considering I had a card reader on the tower anyway.

At the time (September 2008), the Dell was around $1000 and the Samsung was $890 (both before shipping).

My new work laptop that they got me has a few of those "buttons" for adjusting volume and other above-keyboard functions. Nifty, but no tactile feedback, and they don't always respond on the first attempt. Hopefully the controls on yours are better. Do you have any fingerprinting issues at all?
Wow! 27"!!! My, you have a big one!
No, no fingerprint issues so far. I'm fairly careful, and I got this rubbery cloth that came with it. Also I wipe things down a lot. The black edge is easy to clean and I don't touch my screen. What do you all use to clean your screens?
Old 27th September 2009, 14:16   #36
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Same thing as Deeder uses for his iPod, the dishwasher.....

Old 27th September 2009, 16:21   #37
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

DoodS!!! I did it.
*me does the happy dance from hell!!*
Thanks for all the help..It took no time was I got it to work(which was a friggin' nightmare)
But I'm all loaded up!
Old 27th September 2009, 21:33   #38
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

As a post script
It took no time^ was I got it to work(which was a friggin' nightmare)
Once...I meant ONCE I got it to work. *Fuck* I hate reading my mistakes.

Widdykats : Certified Genius

What?
Old 28th September 2009, 04:09   #39
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Quote:
What?
What?

Don't forget to live before you die.