Old 5th January 2011, 12:28   #1
Fuzz Ball

Winamp is screwing up desktop

Ohai all. It's been a while.

I just got my brand new laptop today. So one of the first things I do is install Winamp on it.
I'm having problems already.

1. It screws up my desktop. Whenever Winamp is maximised, it ALWAYS, when going back to the desktop, makes the icons and gadgets mover around. It also refuses to go to a minimized mode, and will only go to windowshade mode.

2. It temporarily killed windows explorer. My desktop disappeared, and the toolbar for a while too. Not sure how it did that at all.
Straight after this, however, it popped up with an error message: 'The program can't start because MSVCR90.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this.'
Yet after that it started up.

At this point I was using 5.56, the same version as what I was using before in my other problem. Before all that, I installed 5.6 onto here, but it didn't display any form of a media library... which slowed down my ability to play music. So I installed 5.58. That's when the desktop problem occurred. So I downgraded back to what I thought was a reliable 5.56, and this is where I'm at. Until I know what to do, Winamp is stuffed for me. I'm using a temporary software which I'd rather not use, but I don't have much choice. Please help.

Oh, and as for the extra stuff to post. I'll get around to that soon, so feel free not to post until it is up here. However, I didn't have any extra plugins installed, because I didn't get the chance. I still have a lot to do...
Fuzz Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 14:06   #2
JonnyMac

Quote:
From the Common Issues section of the Trouble Shooter's / FAQ Sticky...

Application failed to start because msvcr90.dll was not found (caused by presence of old winamp.exe.manifest file)
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....25#post2628325

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 10:56   #3
Fuzz Ball

Well after the 4th reinstall of winamp (back to the latest version), it finally appears to be working. Last time I used 5.6 it didnt display any form of media library and wouldn't let me add to it. Not sure why :/
Old 6th January 2011, 23:56   #4
Fuzz Ball

Now its screwing up my desktop again. It's the new version... I have no idea why its doing this. It was all fine yesterday. No error messages either
Old 7th January 2011, 02:21   #5
JonnyMac

Are you using the Bento skin?

With Winamp maximized...
Ctrl+right click on the titlebar or player panel > select 'Docked Toolbar' > select 'Not Docked'
You may also want to do the same for restore/normal mode.
Old 7th January 2011, 03:51   #6
Fuzz Ball

Yeah im using the big bento skin... is that the problem?

So if i undock it, will the problem be solved? Because i never had this problem on my other laptop with Windows 7
Old 7th January 2011, 07:33   #7
Fuzz Ball

...and now its working again... Can someone please help me as to why its doing this?

Here are the two files.

I'd love to attach a hijackthis log, but it didn't work. When I tried to save it, all it came up with was a blank notepad document.
Attached Files
File Type: txt DxDiag.txt (25.2 KB, 91 views)
File Type: txt my_plugin_list.txt (21.9 KB, 94 views)
Old 7th January 2011, 12:44   #8
Fuzz Ball

Sorry for all the continuous posts, but the problem only seems to occur when Winamp starts up in window shaded mode. As long as I stay away from the window shade mode, everything seems to be fine.
Old 7th January 2011, 16:12   #9
JonnyMac

Docked Toolbar enables Windows toolbar function. Like other toolbars or the taskbar other desktop items will "self adjust" (move) to get out of the way of the docked toolbar. The Bento skin is a bit quirky in that docked toolbar can be enabled for the maximized and normal modes. It is not necessarily that the Bento skin is causing the issue, it just a consideration in trying to resolve the issue.

If WindowShade mode is also in docked toolbar, then it will push other items. So, either disable docked toolbar or enable the 'Auto-Hide' function for docked toolbar.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support