Old 7th August 2007, 21:33   #1
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Ipod keeps connecting/disconnecting.

Okay, hooked up girlfriend's Ipod nano 2GB to my PC for the first time. Before, she used iTunes on her own PC to put music on it, no problems there.

I connected the iPod, waited until Windows (XP SP2) found the hardware drivers, started Winamp and went to the ML. her iPod showed up nicely. I removed some tracks she didn't want on it anymore but then the iPod started connecting/disconnecting rapidly (like 20 times) and after a while it disappeared from the Portables list.

I disconnected the iPod and reconnected it, restarted winamp and after a while it showed up again. But I really cannot communicate with it. As soon as I try to put music on it, no matter if I use winamp or directly through windows explorer, the problem starts again.

I ran a few searches and I know it must have been asked a zillion times but the latest thread I could find was from 2005

Any ideas?

Do I need drivers to support the iPod (No, I'm not going to install iTunes unless I really have to)

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 22:28   #2
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

Re: Ipod keeps connecting/disconnecting.

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrior of the Light
Do I need drivers to support the iPod (No, I'm not going to install iTunes unless I really have to)
only if you have windows 9x.

have you checked the ipod usb cord?
have you tried a different usb port?
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 08:27   #3
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

The cord is fine. It disconnects as soon as I try to communicate with it, not when I move the thing. The cord never gave her problems before.

The usb port is fine too, it's the one I also use for my camera. I did however use an extra cable (~60 cm (or ~25 inches)) for some more length - my case doesn't have usb on the front-end. If an iPod is picky about the cable length/redundancy, that might cause it, I'll check that out.

I found out that it occurs after I copy every single file. I could of course copy the files one by one and wait each time until windows finds it again, but that takes ages to fill the player.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Old 21st November 2011, 05:33   #4
bluethunder11704

This could help also:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=30&tstart=0

I have 2 USB ports in the back of my desktop. One is unused;the second is hooked up to a 4 port USB hub.I connected the cable to the second port,and the iPod made a successful connection. I then ejected it after it was recognized,then moved the 4 port hub to the second USB port,and connected the iPod to it. It worked normally as before.

Switching USB ports does help;so it appears this is always the first place to start if the iPod works on another computer.

And yes,this was frustrating! I hope this helps others!
bluethunder11704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 17:24   #5
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

In my case the problem was with the motherboard. The USB root hub is just not working as expected. I tried several other drivers for it, but nothing worked.
I installed an additional PCI USB card to fix the problem.

Keep in mind that a USB hub has a serious impact in your transfer speeds, as all devices are approached as USB 1.1 devices

Old 18th December 2011, 14:41   #6
cleeds

I had this same problem (64-bit Windows 7, Intel i7 930 2.8 gig processor) and resolved it by using a USB card installed in a PCI slot.
cleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support