Old 16th February 2013, 07:15   #1
thyrdrail

Cannot play shoutcast stations

i've been using winamp for years and always play shoutcast radio. i have windows 7. for some reason, shoutcast radio stopped working on my winamp recently. the stations would load but when i click on a station, the entire window and all the stations would get greyed out. nothing would play and i cant click on any stations. the stations would highlight again if i click on something else in the media library like bookmarks or history or shoutcast tv, etc. but when the stations reload and i click on a station, everything would get greyed out again and nothing would play. it's very strange and frustrating!! i dont know if it's a flash issue or windows 7 or what. can anyone help??
thyrdrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 13:50   #2
ujay
Forum King

Hi there,

Are we talking about the Shoutcast browser window here ?
The Shoutcast servers can get a bit flakey at times, so the problem could be at that end. Seems to be working solidly enough for me ATM. Keeping flash up to date never hurts.

A few things you could try ;

Try a different skin, if you're on Banto try the Modern, if you're on Modern try the classic.

Do you have a direct link you can entered via - Winamp menu > Play > URL,

Drag and drop this link onto Winamp's main window, see if that works.

http://66.90.73.250:8080

Re-instal Winamp, you don't need to do a complete uninstal/reinstal, just run the installer again 'over the top' of your current instal, this will hold on to your settings.

Something at the Shoutcast end or your internet settings sounds most likely though.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 14:38   #3
DrO

anyone using IE10 on Windows 7 or Windows 8 and use a US based internet connection will see the symptoms described in the first post (and http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=350636). there was talk about dropping the pre-roll ad for IE10 users but i don't know where that has gotten (i assume it's not been done based on this thread but then again there's zero information about the IE version being used).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 15:27   #4
ujay
Forum King

Thanks for the link daz, that explains a lot

I get the feeling nowadays that Winamp has outgrown me and I'm still stuck in the 90's, Truth is I never use 3/4 of the features avilable in the latest builds, not much more than v2 plus ML.
Not that I don't use Winamp, it still plays and organizes all my music and I have an 8 year old laptop that sits streaming radio all day long

UJ
Old 18th February 2013, 01:53   #5
thyrdrail

@ujay: i've already uninstalled/reinstalled winamp many times and it still doesnt work. i'll try your other suggestions now.

@dro: i use only firefox and chrome. but does that matter because isnt winamp a completely separate application and doesnt use any browser besides it's own? nevertheless i dont use internet explorer anyway.
Old 18th February 2013, 02:25   #6
vspin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyrdrail View Post
i use only firefox and chrome. but does that matter because isnt winamp a completely separate application and doesnt use any browser besides it's own? nevertheless i dont use internet explorer anyway.
No, and no, it does not matter. I use Chrome too. If you have IE 10, you have the issue.
vspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 02:53   #7
ujay
Forum King

In view of what DrO has to say you can ignore what I have suggested, these steps were designed to check that there is nothing wrong at the Winamp end and narrow it down to the servers.

As I understand it Winamp uses IE for web services regardless of what you have set as your default browser. In fact you can completely 'switch off' IE at the Desktop, but other applications will still be able to run it for their own use.

So it would appear you need to first check which version of IE you have(open IE > Help> About Internet Explorer) and if it's IE10 then you would need to roll back to IE9 for the time being, There's a bit more to it than just unistalling IE10 because Windows always has to have one of the versions of IE installed(why Winamp uses IE in the first place) so you may need some research on how to do it, unless someone here can tell you.

UJ
Old 18th February 2013, 07:14   #8
thyrdrail

@ujay, yea i tried your other suggestions and it didnt work. i never touched any of the winamp settings. so maybe it is an internet explorer and u.s. connection issue like DrO said? idk. it sucks cuz i like winamp and shoutcast radio. i've been listening to itunes radio now.
Old 18th February 2013, 07:17   #9
thyrdrail

btw, i would go back to internet explorer 9 just to get winamp working again, but you know that microsoft makes it difficult for you to uninstall a new version to go back to the old. i've tried it before when they came out with internet explorer 9 and the same with previous new versions and i could never do it once a new version was installed.
Old 18th February 2013, 14:33   #10
ujay
Forum King

Do you know how IE10 found it's way onto your machine in the first place ?

If it's via a Windows update you may be able to uninstall it there.

Control Panel > Programs and features > View installed updates.

Then you will need to wade through the list, find the IE10 update and see if Windows will let you uninstall it.

Don't know if it's that simple, something I've never had to do.

UJ
Old 18th February 2013, 17:46   #11
thyrdrail

it was definitely a system update as i dont use ie anymore; i only use firefox and chrome. so thats why i know it will be hard to uninstall as i tried uninstalling previous updated versions before. so i guess i cant use winamp shoutcast radio anymore as it's not compatible with ie10. i can import my bookmarks from itunes to winamp and play them, but i dont see the point in that as i cant surf for internet stations. but thanks for all the help guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujay View Post
Do you know how IE10 found it's way onto your machine in the first place ?

If it's via a Windows update you may be able to uninstall it there.

Control Panel > Programs and features > View installed updates.

Then you will need to wade through the list, find the IE10 update and see if Windows will let you uninstall it.

Don't know if it's that simple, something I've never had to do.

UJ
Old 27th March 2013, 17:41   #12
seekertom

fixed shoutcast radio problem

winxp, firefox 12 and 19(?)

had been running winamp loooong time, then noticed shoutcast radio was blank in media center where i usually select my fav station... tried many things but what worked for me was to reinstall ff 12 and winamp5093. control panel removed both first.

prob will do latest upgrade to ff19 sometime. if it fails because of this, i'll repost.

btw, shoutcast tv and other ol services never quit, only sc radio. hope this helps someone.

seekertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 17:50   #13
DrO

winamp5093?? are you seriously using that version?

Firefox has nothing to do with Winamp, it uses what is provided by the undetermined OS you're using based on the current version of IE.

you need to clear your IE cache and install the 5.7 beta as per the later posts in http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=355655 (which has more details on how to do that).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 20:37   #14
seekertom

guess my post was incomplete... AFTER removing my current winamp i first installed an older version, then upgraded to current winamp version again.

i did it this way because previously i had just removed current winamp then installed current version again, and this procedure did not work.

installing old first, then upgrading did work.

i said i was using winxp... make that winxppro, sp3. i never use ie. and did not know i had to be concerned with what version of ie i wasn't using.

st
seekertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support