Old 7th January 2011, 10:37   #1
DJLD987

Shoutcast DNAS and Virtual DJ

Hi all,

I have my own server set up and connected to the internet with Shoutcast DNAS 1.9.8 installed to it. ON THE SAME NETWORK I HAVE THIS LAPTOP.

On this laptop I have a program called Virtual DJ to 'broadcast' music to Shoutcast on my server. At first it connects fine and people can listen to the stream though my website (using a wave stream flash player pointed at my server).

However every now and then my Virtual DJ shows that it has 'disconnected' from the server. As far as I am aware there is no reason for this. Does anyone know of any known issues with my set-up or anything i can do to prevent this?
DJLD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 11:42   #2
DrO

starting point would be to see if there is anything mentioned in the DNAS logs around the time the disconnection happens and see if there's an update for the 3rd party software or if they have a known issue for such things happening (as not too much which can be done on here for that software).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 15:43   #3
DJLD987

I have attached my file log, would you be able to take a look?
Attached Files
File Type: log sc_serv.log (122.1 KB, 193 views)
Old 7th January 2011, 16:02   #4
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
I looked at your logs real quick. In passing it looks like 'Virtual DJ' just stops sending data completely...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogSnippet
code:
<09/29/10@16:08:24> [source] connected from 192.168.2.7
<09/29/10@16:09:47> [source] no data (30s timeout). disconnecting.

You mentioned you were running 'Virtual DJ' from your laptop. Is it connected to your network wirelessly? If so you might be having issues with your wireless network and you might want to try connecting your laptop via a physical ethernet cable.

If not wirelessly I can only suspect either 'Virtual DJ' itself or your entire network setup.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 19:46   #5
DJLD987

right okay, now that is a real pain if that is the case. My server is connected to my router via a gigabit Ethernet, however my laptop is connected via N wireless build in to my laptop (and it is a N router).

So as per usual no way of getting wires to the studio and not possible over wireless :@ bloody things
Old 8th January 2011, 03:32   #6
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
As a very long Ethernet cable to your studio would probably be inadvisable anyway (due to many technical reasons outside the scope of this thread) might I suggest that if you cannot get a hardwire connection to your studio directly then maybe get another Internet connection to the studio itself or create a long chain of network devices to your studio to create a more reliable connection; repeaters, signal boosters of some nature, or whatnot.

Good luck.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 21:17   #7
DJLD987

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktink View Post
As a very long Ethernet cable to your studio would probably be inadvisable anyway
I know, that is why it is most annoying, i will have to use the several wireless routers as AP's and a switch box
Old 11th January 2011, 23:37   #8
DJLD987

i have now put 3 20m cables between the main router (the one that actually does the managing) and the server with a switch and another wireless router (set as a access point) connecting them along the way.

however i have now remembered i dont get such a good upload anyway lol... looks like a ISP upgrade for me too
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support