Old 4th June 2004, 23:07   #1
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Smile CDCover technique, no WAC required

Before I get started I will say that you should probably *not* use this method until it's been better developed and tested. At this point I'm not even sure it will work for everyone. But it's a good starting point and maybe can turn into something worth using in your skins.

Here's some stuff to play with:

Download CDCover_2004-06-04_01.wal (18KB)

Alright, this is how it works. The CD image is actually a browser control. When loaded or on song change, it calls an HTML file embedded within the WAL file with the current artist name and album name appended to the querystring area of the URL.

The embedded HTML file then grabs those values from the querystring area and passes them onto an Amazon.com Web Service keyword search which returns an XML file. I look at the first "keyword match" in the XML file to see if it has an image assiciated with it. If so, I then redirect the browser control to the URL of that image.

It works pretty good for the most part but here's a list of problems.
[list=1][*]In the MAKI that sends the parameters to the embedded HTML file, I had to hardcode the path to the skin, so if anyone has WA5 installed anywhere other than "c:\program files\winamp 5\", the MAKI will fail. I'm sure there's got to be a way around this, but I haven't found it yet.[*]The embedded HTML file relies on having access to the "Microsoft.XMLHTTP" ActiveX control. I *believe* this is now standard on XP systems, but am even less sure about 98 or 2000 systems. I'd be interested in hearing feedback from you guys about this.[*]I'm simply grabbing the image of the first result in the list of results I get from the Amazon.com Web Service, so it's not always right and it doesn't always find a result either. [edit] The accuracy of the results also depends on the meta data retrieved by WA, so if the particular file doesn't have good meta data assiciated with it, that hurts the results.[*]Having the browser control of course kills desktop-alpha on it's layout.[/list=1]

So that's it. If anyone wants to further experiment with this, please do and post any progress you make. If you download the example file and have problems with it, let me know. I won't necessarily fix them but it'll be good to know what works and what doesn't.

Last edited by rpeterclark; 4th June 2004 at 23:30.
rpeterclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2004, 23:24   #2
VAG
Major Dude

Very nice idea Pete :tu: , thank you for your effort, I believe will be here coders taht will move this forward together with you, who knows, maybe even Nullsoft to use it on the next versions of WA in the future

Ideas, what about if except Amazon you can add on the background "search" that the script does, other sites too, so with statistics total from 2-3 more sites to get a result that could be less "mistaken" as about the image of the album that finaly comes into the component

Another also thought, why not in the future Nullsoft to add a field area in MediaLibrary where each band's logo or website will appear so each user to be able search "manualy" for new album covers or singles etc ?

I know, I propose things that seem way too "extreme" for now... but we always have to look forward my friends

Thanks alot Pete again for this great addition and when I'll get more ideas I'll let you know buddy.

LaterZzz
VAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2004, 07:25   #3
leechbite
Major Dude

Send a message via Yahoo to leechbite
amazing rpc! here's how to embed the HTML:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=180150

basically it says to use this for the url:

url="file:///@SKINPATH@about/about.htm"

[edit]
tried it with your test skin, did not work. it works in XML not in maki.
a workaround should be possible.

Last edited by leechbite; 5th June 2004 at 08:20.
leechbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2004, 09:06   #4
carlosp
Major Dude

nice but not good enough, it needs alot of work but anyway a good starting.
carlosp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2004, 13:38   #5
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Thanks carlosp, feel free to contribute any ideas you have.

Leechbite, yeah that's what I treid too and it was no good, but... I did manage to solve the skin path thing this morning another way. Apparently when Winamp loads the XML and encounters the @SKINPATH@ value it physically replaces it with the actual skin path before any scripts run, so if I then call getXMLParam("URL") on the browser object it returns a string with the path in it.

Download CDCover_2004-06-05_01.wal (18KB)

If you check the script now, you'll see I just parse out the skin path from the browser url property on script loading. Another change I made is to use WA's urlEncode() method on the parameters passed to the HTML to avoid having screwy characters mess up the path and removed the URIEncode methods from the javascript code in the HTML.

So now it is skin path independant and a lot more stable as far as funky characters messing up the keyword search.
Old 5th June 2004, 13:49   #6
matt_69
Sunshine
(Major Dude)

hmm...both version don't work for me...i just get the "The page cannot be displayed" thing...ok..just fiddled round and did a right click on the page and did back and it comes up as a blank page...how long should it take to load up the page?

-matt

matt_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2004, 14:00   #7
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

matt, it should be pretty much instant, so you must have some type of problem. What OS are you running? Also, what version of IE? If you really want to help debug, you can also go into the script and see what path it is trying to call to the HTML file and make sure it matches up with the actual physical location.
Old 5th June 2004, 14:26   #8
leechbite
Major Dude

Send a message via Yahoo to leechbite
yeah i was thinking it would work that way with the skin path. but still the new version didnt work on me too rpc.
im using xp home.
ill check it out if i have the time maybe i could contribute. could be just my computer, its kinda messed up at the moment.
leechbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2004, 15:08   #9
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

Hum.. about the hardcore pathing, maybe you can make a dialog, which is asking for the installed winamp url? I will agree that an automatically detection would be stylish, but if that's not possible I mean... and store it with a private variable...

Forgot, I run IE 6.0 Win98SE and WinAmp at E:/progra~1/winamp/skins/@skinpath@

09 F9 11 01 9D 74 E8 5B D8 41 56 C3 63 56 81 C0
PulseDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2004, 15:11   #10
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

@PulseDriver, I already solved the skin path problem, check my second post. I get it from the URL property of the browser control after WA has replaced @SKINPATH@ with the actual path.
Old 5th June 2004, 15:17   #11
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's working!!!!!!!!

Neat RPC!!!

But it's only showing one picture...

url: http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Right, I found my ATC songs, but this is a system that still needs some adjustments... Didn't work very well as of yet, or I might lissen to very strange tracks lol

Can you have a brief explenation how it sends the info to amazon? It finds only 1 outta 20 songs I have, and 1 of 5 have that picture which sais Nina Simone...

Does it read the file name or file info, cause I might have some shitty tagged tracks..

Last edited by PulseDriver; 5th June 2004 at 15:33.
Old 5th June 2004, 16:07   #12
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

I changed the script to look for artists only, and that made every artist come up with at least some sort of image, but you need a pretty advanced script to sort out the artists with very similar names.

At Ravi, I got an image of Ravi Shakur, which seem to a sitar player... and Ravi is a local artist from norway...

Old 5th June 2004, 16:46   #13
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Another update:

Download CDCover_2004-06-05_02.wal (21KB)

Ok, I edited the embedded HTML file a bit so that it will now at least let you know if you are just missing the necessary XML component and provide you a link to download it. If something goes wrong other than that in the HTML file, it will give a more descriptive error that'll help me figure out what may be wrong.

On the player I added a few text fields. The "artist" and "album" fields are important because that is the data it is sending to Amazon. It gets those two values from WA's getPlayitemMetaDataString() function which I assume retrieves it from the ID3 tags and stuff. So if the values shown on those fieds are either empty or look wrong then it's a sign that your MP3 tag is not right which is of course going to cause problems with the search results.

Now if you click the image or the "no matches" you can see the XML that was returned from Amazon, this can be helpful for figuring out why it returned whatever it did.

I think that answers your question too PulseDriver, if you want to learn more about the web services themselves you can check it out here: http://www.amazon.com/webservices

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who is trying this either if it actually is working for them or descriptions of the error messages.
Old 5th June 2004, 17:12   #14
mc^^^^
Forum King

Location: Perth, Australia MSN: mcbriar@ii.net Posts: All your posts are belong to me!!!!
unfortunatly i cant get it to work , just get the page cannot be found. xp pro, ie6. havnt had time to check where the code might be faulting yet

mc^^^^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2004, 17:22   #15
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

Mc^^^etc..

You can try the one I had.. I did some mods on it.. but it's the version before the one with the songinfo over the image...

Ok one thing.......

ONE BIG THING...

I get it only to work in unzipped state...

And that's pretty relevant isn't it?
Attached Files
File Type: wal cd_cover.wal (17.7 KB, 227 views)

Old 5th June 2004, 18:11   #16
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

Also, I don't think you can run any IE based application in zipped state, not of any kind... :/ at least not locally.. you might be able if you get some serverside workout to work with this skin, but i haven't really been giving that a thought...

Old 5th June 2004, 18:12   #17
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Doh, I forgot to take into account that WA loads the skin into a temporary location and so my path functions were not finding it in the right place. Anyway, a it's a simple fix. I'm sure this version will work for a lot more people since it doesn't require you to unzip it first. I really should have tested that, huh?

Download CDCover_2004-06-05_03.wal (21KB)
Old 5th June 2004, 18:19   #18
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

Yes, didn't think about the temp extraction lol. But did you read the PMs I sent you? I would gladly work on an intelligent parser of the song info to get more correct results..

As it is now, every mix of any version, it fails to find the cover.

And I have many thought about how to make the parser, by using the power of all the relevant ID3 tags, and parse out what kind of mix it is.. and split "feat.", "vs.", "&'s", "and's" and lots of other types that makes it fail to find a match

Also if a word matches a part of another artist, it also sometimes get confused. I don't know how it really thinks yet, but I am looking at it now...

Old 5th June 2004, 18:50   #19
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

PulseDriver, it would be great if you could come up with a better way to retrieve the artist/album information, but I am skeptical as to how effective you could make it. As it is now, the functions I use pull that information straight from the ID3 tags. You would have to know of a way to get additional info from the ID3 tags from within MAKI or some way to accurately pull that data from the filename.

It seems to me a certain amount of responsibility has to go to the user to make sure thier files are tagged right. If thier files don't have any indication of the artist/album info other than in a unpredictable filename format which may or may not include all of the necessary data, it's too bad for them as far as I am concerned.

I don't want to deter you though, if you have ideas about how to make it work better, explore it, see what you come up with and bring it back here to share.
Old 5th June 2004, 19:09   #20
Hawk

Hey thanks rpeterclark! You know what? Your latest version really works on my system

Very cool. Good to show off in desktop screenhots

You're an ace!!
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2004, 19:39   #21
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

Yes, the example I posted there is a very simple way to split songtitle from the mix version siply splitting the sontitle by the left parantese "(", and I am aware, I just wanted to test if I get better results

I will try to make a parser which don't make any mistakes, but at the same time being very dynamic, but i need some time to have a look at the webservice first...

I will also look at the posibilities of how to handle the info retrived from the webservice too for even more accuracy, and at this point there are quite many ways to go.. but this player is bound to be good

It's a very good idea, and I like it even at this state
I'll post more tomorrow, going to work on a parser tonight I think (without promising too much) but I will call it more a suggestion than a parser... I just want to help you get this one to the goal

Old 5th June 2004, 23:43   #22
Icegod

Very nice.

Well there's still some work to do.
Here's something I found. I sometimes get a cover with a certain song. But if I go forward or back and than switch back to the first song, it shows no matches. If I do the same again, I get the cover I had in the beginning.

Keep up the good work
Icegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2004, 00:28   #23
matt_69
Sunshine
(Major Dude)

ok..your latest version is working for me now, so i take it u don't need n e of my sys info n e more..i went thru about 130 of my songs, most came up with a cd cover with only a few bringing up strange covers.

-matt

matt_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2004, 03:07   #24
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

I am working on a parser

I am working on a parser, it's not being a big change from the last one I (PulseDriver) released, not RPC, and I try to make this parser "intelligent", but the big difference on this release and RPCs release, is that I have left out the album info for one single reason, and that's because when Winamp don't find anything in the album tag, it just put the foldername there instead, and if a "-" excists in the foldername, it takes only the part after the first "-" appearance so if you have an album folder named "mp3 - various", winamp will call the album "various". Very unreliable... but I'll see what I can do about albums later. Now this parser is looking mainly for the songtitle, then the artist, then when the XML parser starts looking for the right tags (images) and I also added "Artists" and "ProductName" which will be the SongName/TrackTitle.

I want you guys to try this version, and give me some feedback on what errors and other bugs you might experience, and if it find wrong images, and so on.

I will try to make this parser much better than it is now, but have a try, and give me some feedback.
Attached Files
File Type: wal cdcover_2004-06-06_01.wal (20.3 KB, 196 views)

Old 6th June 2004, 05:40   #25
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

Another update... had to revert from decodeURIComponent to the old fashion escape(url) since WinAmp don't support the RFC2396 recommendation (decodeURIComponent and esacpe basically do the same stuff but they have different rules), so now you shouldn't get an error everytime there is a special character involved in the artist/trackname (if you ever experienced any).

RFC2396 Recommendation

Match checking both ways, making it more dynamic, but that will only catch a few more songs that before, however, it still prevents tracks/artists with very similar names to be accepted as a hit.

Will take a look to remove some irrelevant characters from the checkup to catch some peoples way to tag their ID3 tags, or filenames, and most importantly don't make the difference between two different artists/songtitles.

Example is eg. "Mark 'Oh" and "Mark Oh" and the ' will make it fail if it isn't added.

Here it is, for you to test
Attached Files
File Type: wal cdcover_2004-06-06_02.wal (20.3 KB, 212 views)

Old 6th June 2004, 09:16   #26
Icegod

Well I get less results with your version. I almost get none. But with rpc's I get more. but they're not always the right ones. But with your's they are on the spot every time.
Icegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2004, 11:02   #27
auhsor

rpc's one works very good. All my songs that have been named good and are common bands come up with the right cover. It doesnt seem to load anything with pulses. It doesnt even say 'no match'
auhsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2004, 11:24   #28
carlosp
Major Dude

i have only tested pulses one and it works pretty good. all the songs which had the right infos. the only thing i dun like is that the buttons doesnt have any states great work you two, it is great!!!!!!!!!

[edit]
peters version works much better, great work

[/edit]
Old 6th June 2004, 12:32   #29
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

Yes, that's what I like to know. Do you guys have all the Mp3s tagged with Album info? I have a lot of songs which don't have that info, maybe cause it doesn't exist, but anyways... it seems albums are working very well. But can you show me how you tagged one of the MP3s that you have?

I don't get many results with RPCs and lots of wrong covers, and other covers (same artist) but wrong album?
Nina Simone do I get quite often too, and I wonder what makes that pick up most searches.. lol

Not anyone?

Well, I am going to work more on parsing albums then. I don't have so many MP3s that have the album info, but appearantly some do.

And I should have added the code so it diplays, No Match, cause many cases, the image is found, but it's nothing on the picture, meaning it will display a blank image rather than No Match, since a match was found

Also when I think about it, I could make the parser look for album, THEN look for Single cover (that is when no album cover was found) but I think that involves 2 seaches, and it will take doulbe the time to find a cover.

Last edited by PulseDriver; 6th June 2004 at 12:49.
Old 6th June 2004, 13:59   #30
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Amazon doesn't have an image for every CD, so when when it *does* find a match, but they don't have an image for that CD, they return a transparent single pixel gif. Unfortunately they name it just like any other real album cover so it's not really indicated that it's a bum image. However, I'm sure some code can be added to the HTML to make a "no image available" message or something appear instead.

PulseDriver, I'm not to sure about your exact match concept. One of the powerful features of Amazon's keyword search is it's fuzzyness. Let's say my MP3 was tagged incorrectly with the artist "Black Eyd Peas", Amazon will still find the correct artist named "Black Eyed Peas" but with your script will discard that result because it's not exact. In effect you are forcing the user to be even more strict with thier tagging than my method does.

If my version isn't working well for you, I would recommend that you experiment with a program that will let you correctly tag your MP3s so that you can see how effective it makes this script. Even with "mix" or "various artist" CDs, if they are tagged correctly you'll get consistent matches.
Old 6th June 2004, 14:19   #31
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

yes, I will add the dynamics in the parser, and not let amazon send what it wants... but yes. It will not be as strict as it is now, no. But I get Nina Simone on 2 of 10 albums I have. Don't ask me why.

Also if it finds one keyword matching it will show that. Even if it's not the same artist nor the right album name, but this stuff is pretty relative.

It's very strict as the whole string needs a match.

I'll take a look on the power of the fuzzyness of the webservice too. I wasn't aware that it could find the example that you had there. I need to do some more tests to the server and see how far I can push the fuzzyness....

I'll see what I can come up with.

Last edited by PulseDriver; 6th June 2004 at 14:34.
Old 6th June 2004, 15:20   #32
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

As I go through my albums (not single MP3s) with either the folder, or the Album tag, tagged properly, the parser seem to work fine.

It's once I try to run MP3s without the Album tag that seem to have trouble. Mostly songs that have no album appearance or I don't know what album they are from.

But if i work hard on the parser, I think I can make it find either one of them, with the album as first priority, and second, any appearance of the title at all.

That can make it dynamic and have many hits, but then again I don't know what to do with those close matches that Amazon decides is close enough and returns.

One example is:

Artist: A1 Album: Here we come

Amazon returns:

Artist: The Smiths Album: Strange ways here we come

And NO, I don't lissen to A1, just to make that clear. Haha.

And one more thing. Of some reason (I am norwegian), and I have an MP3 which have a norwegian title, which is

Jeg er en seiler

Amazon returns some artist, and songtitle named I am a sailor, which seem to me that Amazon translates the title cause Jeg er en seiler means I am a sailor, and the name Sailor isn't that close to seiler that it would be read as a spelling error? Or would it?

I don't know how to prevent such, as there a probably many others that have local artists in their playlist in other languages than english.

If someone else gets the same return or similar, please tell me.

Also, I now have in mind to make a little searcher locally, which searches through the string returned and might set x numbers of allowed errors in the string, so if you have an MP3 with the artist The Crawnberies, and Amazon returns - The Crawberries, but if you named the artist The Crwnbrrs it will fail to match...

Just a thought.

Also Amazon have some weaknesses, which are spelling errors, and some artist have characters spliced betweeen the words, even the normal way to write would be with spaces, like I wouldn't have written The...Crawnberries, but rather The Crawnberries.

That's a weakness

Last edited by PulseDriver; 6th June 2004 at 15:52.
Old 7th June 2004, 12:02   #33
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Download CDCover_2004-06-07_01.wal (21KB)

This update does a bit of clean-up on the query values removing a bunch of non-alpahnumeric characters that seemed to be interfering with search results. This version seems to find a lot more covers for me at least.
Old 7th June 2004, 12:04   #34
iron2000

Wow, this is looking pretty good.

Just wondering, does it look for Japanese ones?

Thanx

Last edited by iron2000; 7th June 2004 at 13:26.
iron2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 14:03   #35
UUL
Winamp Addict
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to UUL Send a message via AIM to UUL Send a message via Yahoo to UUL
nicely done rpc
UUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 15:02   #36
hammerhead
The Shark
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to hammerhead
Well done, this is very nice
I'll have a look at it
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 17:35   #37
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Thanks guys!

One more update:
Download CDCover_2004-06-07_02.wal (30KB)

[edit] Sorry, download this again if you already had. I didn't have the newset HTML in there. This one stops it from flashing "no image available" before it loads each time.[/edit]

This update is a bit smarter about indicating any problem it might have, if you are missing the component, no matches, no image available or not connected to the internet. It now uses images to display the messages, mostly as proof that the embedded HTML can load local images contained within the WAL file. I also made the web service request asyncronous since it seemed to occasionally hold up my system while it waited for a response. Lastly it now has a neato fade effect when switching between albums.

Last edited by rpeterclark; 7th June 2004 at 18:13.
Old 7th June 2004, 18:04   #38
carlosp
Major Dude

still no down und hover states for the buttons
Old 7th June 2004, 18:08   #39
PulseDriver
w3 addict
(Major Dude)

I think RPC is only focusing on the images on this skin. But that's only what I think. Well, it's a very original idea, and I have seen others now working on skins with his code already.

Old 7th June 2004, 18:09   #40
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Quote:
Originally posted by carlosp
still no down und hover states for the buttons
Ah, no I never really meant for it to be a fully functional skin. Just a box to hold the album cover while I worked on the code really. Maybe if I have some free at some point I will fill out more of it, but I'd rather come up with something entirely new and cool that uses this.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins