Old 4th January 2011, 11:07   #1
Madman969

Ok im just lost here. New system has me beat.

every year I do a year-end countdown thing at a bar i work, and usually simulcast it here, in the bar's name to some ppl that cannot get there for it.

So today i went to do the test run only to find out everything has changed. So i have read, and re read and searched. bypassed the router shutdown the firewall, and did 100 things i never needed to do before.

Still nothing.

Where exactly do we insert this "key" string at, and while im at it, does that need to be in the winamp plugin as well?

Also, i recently purchased the new Virtual dj pro 7 from atomix. Logic says i dont need winamp anymore as it supposedly will run straight into the dnas, and i would be real happy if i could just see the good ol dos window fire up.

So maybe after 10 1/2 hours i may need you to spell this out a bit better, nothing i have found in forums or anything else makes sense and i can hardley read this notepad config file anymore, if i alter it so i can at least see it, then it messes up the config.

Either way, everything i know and love about how to run this does not work anymore - wish id of kept a copy of the old program, but everything does upgrade and i will welcome it gladly if i can only make sense of it.

so is the key the password, or do i still need my old login and password, and where does the key file go into the dsp at?

this does not need to be this complicated - please help
Madman969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 11:51   #2
DrO

it really shouldn't be that difficult to be using the v2 tools as you can generally use an older v1 DNAS configuration file with the v2 tools and it will work. plus if the machine was already setup to work with a v1 setup then there should be the need to change any firewall settings, etc as the v2 stuff will basically use the same ports / access.

so first thing, what exactly have you got installed i.e. do you even know the versions of the DNAS, etc which are now on the machine?

second thing, have you found out who did the upgrade as that would be the first thing i'd do if a system i'd otherwise had used before was suddenly changed.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 16:41   #3
Madman969

I own a entertainment business and have been in this since 1972, so i did the upgrade, Just installed a ssd in this rig and its part of one the 8 road rigs i own. I just dont do the shoutcast thing that often and i am not well versed in code-- im a bit more of an old analog dog myself. the firewall and router were a non issue - been there done that too many times - unfortunately it was the lkey code and where to put it that threw me not so much on the winamp side - it was the editor that had me guessing as its so hard to see - im 51 m8 and the eyes dont have it anymore

I seem to have something now but still have 2 errors and its not showing up in the listings yet but says its connected.

have an invalid item on line 58 and another on line 57 what that means im not sure - id love to send you the config but i wont post it here

once i realized i had to make the changes in the .ini file things started running once i got the winamp end right. thats the part that wasnt clear. as for what version, i have downloaded everything on the page but the gui im seeing is not the one im used to.

the winamp side appears to be running normal and on the dos side it looks normal except im not seeing the "0 listening or sleeping thing that used to be there - im hoping its the gui change

but i still cant find it listed anywhere in shoutcast search and neither can anyone else
Old 4th January 2011, 17:12   #4
Madman969

ok this may help - its not the ini file but heres what im seeing

http://www.shows1st4u.com/screenshot.jpg
Old 4th January 2011, 18:58   #5
Madman969

ok - after doing some more investigation - one of the problems -about all i know of commandline is bios updates - i understand this thing is heavily command line based which i really dont understand - in a day and age when we can create extensive gui and nice msi based exe files to do nearly anything why we still are creating and changing in command line - we have visual c++ and .net that can do all of this for us. - but then ive never worked any dos - im a windows baby - im used to nice looking com objects that do the work for me.

anyway - enough of my soapbox--

so after 3 hours of running still nothing - so i uninstalled the dnas cause i had really tried to rewrite the .ini from the config stuff and probably did enough damage to ruin all of them - still greek to me - so im back to square one - at the launch, it flashes the screen for about a second and dissapears -this is where i started at about 7pm cdst last night. i made the key change to the "public" file as i read in a different post

now im off to start over on the rest - like i said in my first post - there is no need for this to be so complicated - a password and key file would be all thats neccesary here - all these logging choices and configs are very unneccesary. just make the thing do all it can and a few drop downs or checkboxes and be done with it - give it a desktop icon and call it a finished app.

detailed instructions would be a plus - but this is actually a lot harder to run than the old one. i would much rather buy a finished product than remake the wheel with a free one
Old 5th January 2011, 07:59   #6
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman969 View Post
i understand this thing is heavily command line based which i really dont understand - in a day and age when we can create extensive gui and nice msi based exe files to do nearly anything why we still are creating and changing in command line - we have visual c++ and .net that can do all of this for us. - but then ive never worked any dos - im a windows baby - im used to nice looking com objects that do the work for me.
well that is what was decided when the v2 tools were created though there are html / ajax based apis allowing for controlling of them in a ui manner though a ui isn't going to help too much for the server as it's mainly a ui for the settings configuration which would be needed rather than for the server itself (like the 'windows style' gui of the v1 Windows DNAS which was just a gui shell around the same console).

also it makes life a lot easier when maintaining the tool over all of the different platforms which are supported. so i can see why Windows users don't like the lack of a gui but that's how it is with things currently (and most likely is going to remain that way). there have been a few "wrapper gui's" created over the time though the only one i was aware off for the v2 tools was removed a few months back for some reason.

Quote:
ok this may help - its not the ini file but heres what im seeing http://www.shows1st4u.com/screenshot.jpg
what you posted in your screenshot seems to have indicated that everything other than having the public flag set on the stream was present. the invalid item warnings in the log are usually from settings / items in the configuration file which are not known / no longer supported by the newer version of the server.

Quote:
detailed instructions would be a plus - but this is actually a lot harder to run than the old one. i would much rather buy a finished product than remake the wheel with a free one
everyone keeps saying that yet there's far more information / explained examples provided with the current drop of the server than the previous v2 drop had or maybe it's just too much *shrugs* yes there is a few things which still need to be improved but this is all going through a state of flux at the moment to get things into a better state though i guess that's still failing...

there are the example configurations in the install folder of the server which show what needs to be edited and how to obtain the information required. there is also the getting_started.txt in the docs folder though there's a more detailed version at http://nunzioweb.com/daz/SHOUTcast/c...ng_started.txt (better to use that). or there is the work in progress configuration builder -> http://bogproghome.hopto.org/config_...g_builder.html

-daz
Old 11th January 2011, 06:18   #7
Madman969

I have started over with a different computer. so i am dealing with all clean files and just ver 2, on the other machine i had installed both 198 and 2.

Quote:
what you posted in your screenshot seems to have indicated that everything other than having the public flag set on the stream was present. the invalid item warnings in the log are usually from settings / items in the configuration file which are not known / no longer supported by the newer version of the server.
ok where do i find this at and what value should it be set at?

Quote:
there are the example configurations in the install folder of the server which show what needs to be edited and how to obtain the information required. there is also the getting_started.txt in the docs folder

as for the text, its almost too wordy - the files in the folder are not clear - if one of those is an example then it should be labeled as such

Im working on it and have also sent you a pm explaining a few things - i wish i would of read your reply before i sent the pm - sorry - if i get this thing to run i will let you know and thank you -

EDIT - afterthought

The other issue i was wondering about - Im currently looking at shoutcast config builder - I have no need for logging as mentioned earlier - I will also be switching to a line in situation on the fly from time to time as i will be using one of my road racks and yes sometimes even a coffin and vinyl and all my voiceover stuff will be done at the analog level and i also use real analog orban and crl audio products and a aphex aural exciter - so everything will be done manual - i have no need for playlist control, and no need for artist title info

this will be real rock done the old fashioned way, and it will be as near real radio as it gets - the computer doing the mmusic is in the rack with the audio gear, one of a few i own.

so this just needs to be as simple as possible
Old 11th January 2011, 08:04   #8
Madman969

Ok now there is no .ini file

I tried the shoutcast builder - the info looks correct - i have the hash key everywhere i can find a place to put it -

no ini file to change, therefore its not doing anything - when i click the exe i get a dot flash on the desktop for a split second then nothing -- and at the winamp end i have nothing - i get the dsp gui but cant do anything with it cause the server does not run

i was having a bit better luck with 1.98 but cannot make either of them run

im lost here m8

edit and update - logfile as follows

2011-01-11 03:14:11 I msg:[SHOUTcast] DNAS/win64 v 0.2.0.0 b 0.0.10.0 (Dec 13 2010) starting up...
2011-01-11 03:14:11 I msg:[MAIN] PID: 4084
2011-01-11 03:14:11 E msg:[MAIN] No config file passed
2011-01-11 03:14:11 I msg:[MAIN] Terminating sources
2011-01-11 03:14:11 I msg:[MAIN] Waiting for final YP remsrvs
2011-01-11 03:14:11 I msg:[MAIN] Runner shutdown
2011-01-11 03:14:11 I msg:<***> Logger shutdown
so what file or folder do i need to put the configuration in, or how do i do the .ini or get one thats working?
this is getting worse as i go
Old 11th January 2011, 08:47   #9
Madman969

also - im using notepad as an editor for all of this - it would be so womnderful if it would appear as a paragraph and not a mile long sentence you have to use the scroll bar to read-

i think the other thing that makes this so confusing is that there are too many examples along the way within the run on sentence

if the only thing required was the config the way the builder set it up then all would be good because that makes it a lot easier to understand - for example:

config item 1:=0
config item 2:=1
hash id:= blahbalah98blahetc
password=whatever

i know thats not set in code but does it really have to be this long running sentence?

too many if this then that .eg etc in the line with the config stuff -- i dont know if im changing the actual or the example

still nothing
Old 11th January 2011, 09:59   #10
Madman969

Can someone please help me do this config?

Ok ive been trying to get this running for 2 weeks and getting nowhere- I know nothing of commandline and my first version of windows was xp sp3.

i started with 1.98 and am now on a different computer with a fresh install of the latest of both the dns and the winamp plug in

I own 8 computers and all run windows 7 64 bit, all of them go on the road doing live dj shows.

currently there is no.ini file and i used the config builder and ive tried everything

yes i have a hash id "license" and have put it everywhere i can find a place for it

i dont need logging, i dont need the artist title postings since this will be coming from a line in port on my soundcard

i have no idea what i should be using for a password or where to change it and half the other settings - in 1.98 i used notepad to edit the .ini file but there is not one in this install

nothing is working and i need this by saturday - will someone please help?
Old 11th January 2011, 11:23   #11
DrO

i'm about to head out so i don't have the time to read through all of the post / pm at the moment but the server / transcoder don't care if the file is named mine.blah or server.ini when using the v2 tools (and i think the same for the v1 DNAS) so you can just edit them as is in notepad / any text editor as needed.

what is created by the config_builder is the same as what is produced by manually editing the older ini file (which if you still had a copy off then could have been used with the v2 DNAS with some minor tweaking but that doesn't matter as there isn't one). the main difference is that it automatically mirrors parts from the sc_serv config to the sc_trans config which appears to be one of the main stumbling points people have been having with creating configuration files.

if you really really cannot get things even running then i'll look through the posts later and create a configuration over the next few days for you (unless someone else wants to step in).

-daz
Old 11th January 2011, 17:51   #12
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
*thinktink jumps into the fray*

Hangon...

Sending PM.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 18:39   #13
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Public addendum to my PM (because it was too big to all fit in one PM )

Random thoughts not in any particular order below: Please read these comments carefully.

The DNAS is best used in conjunction with the new Transcoder. I've learned that even though you don't need to use the playlist features it still needs to be configured correctly with a playlist for headache free operation from experimentation. The bare minimum playlist required with the Transcoder is a dead air playlist. That way the Transcoder doesn't abruptly exit when it has nothing else to do. Just find an mp3/wav/aac/ogg file chock full of silence, add it to a playlist (with the full path) and set it in the Transcoder playlist configuration and you'll save yourself some headaches.

I looked at your screenshot of the SHOUTcast DSP and I noticed that you've got the [Stream ID] setting set to a non-numerical value. Stream IDs (as far as I have tested) are numerical only and start with 1. If certain other options are enabled then this won't work. Change the [Stream ID] in the DSP and the DNAS to 1 increasing by 1 for each output you're using (if using more than 1 output in the DSP/DNAS.)

I don't think Virtual DJ currently supports the new SC2/YP2 protocols (I don't think anything does since right now as far as I know it's a closely guarded secret) so if you want to connect it to a DNAS running the new protocols you will have to run it through an intermediary program like the new Transcoder (sc_trans) with DJ support that can remux it properly to the DNAS2. I know that sounds confusing at first.

You can also try using the DNAS in legacy mode and if you want to try that I recommend making a DNAS legacy mode config file with the config builder.

I think in your posts you're talking about "keys" and "hashes" interchangeably but that probably confusing DrO and I because those two particular nomenclatures actually refer to very different things. The "key" is commonly understood to be the Unlock Key and Unlock Code for the MP3 Encoding in the new Transcoder whereas Auth Hashes refer to the authorization strings used and specified (only in the new DNAS2) for getting listed in YP2 using the new YP2 protocol. I hope this clears up some confusion.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support