Old 30th January 2004, 19:16   #1
xzxzzx
Forum King

eMachines and Gateway merge

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-5150616.html

So the question is:

Will Gateway become crappy like eMachines, or will eMachines become good like Gateways (I've had nothing but bad experiances with eMachines, like a monitor start burning, boxes crashing, etc)

The eMachines CEO is becoming CEO of Gateway, so it doesn't look good...

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2004, 19:23   #2
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
I swear by EMachines, never had one fail on me more than can be expected for a WinME and XP job.

Gateway have alwayse seemed like utter crap to me.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2004, 19:37   #3
anubis2003
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to anubis2003
gateway is crap - I hate all the major brands - gateway, dell, hp, compaq - ugh they make me mad.
anubis2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2004, 19:52   #4
horse-fly
Account Closed

emachines got the job done for me, so i am happy
horse-fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2004, 20:15   #5
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Vie
I swear by EMachines, never had one fail on me more than can be expected for a WinME and XP job.

Gateway have alwayse seemed like utter crap to me.
More than can be expected for XP? That's about never. My company is partnered with Gateway, and while I can't comment on their desktops (we don't purchase them), thier tablet PC kicks some major ass.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2004, 21:25   #6
msteed_02

Send a message via AIM to msteed_02 Send a message via Yahoo to msteed_02
i dont like prebuilt systems period cause every one i've ever used was pure crap. especially gateway and e-machines.
msteed_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2004, 23:32   #7
mark
Forum King

Emachines are crap, gateway are hopfully gonna drag them down when they die, as theyre pretty far gone...
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2004, 00:05   #8
Rellik
Major Dude

Brace yourselves for the electronic equivilant of mad cow disease
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2004, 02:17   #9
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
i don't like emachines. i always see them in circuit city for like 300 dollars. and in tiny print it says celeron processor, integrated video and 20gb hard drive. you get what you pay for. how good of a computer do people really expect for 400 dollars?

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2004, 02:52   #10
White Raven
Little Winged One

Quote:
Originally posted by Rellik
PMS goes online...

just as feathery as ever | portfolio | a poignant quote
White Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2004, 18:49   #11
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
eh who really cares if either one becomes crappier/better cause of it, hate dell's gateway's are ok (outta my price range tho) last comp i bought was a compaq POS but i can't really say that since my current one still uses it's cd-rom drive, oh and don't buy a hewlett packard (do they still exist???) first comp ever was one of those -came with some shitty OS thing they wanted you to use instead of windows (had both that one barely worked)- but i don't think i'll ever buy a whole comp again

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2004, 21:13   #12
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

Build.

Your.

Own.

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2004, 23:37   #13
DuaneJeffers
Major Dude

Actually, for the budget consious individual (read: some one that is not a rich ass bastard), pre-builts are a good choice. Only certain pre-builts are acceptable. I use an eMachines computer. I love it. I would not recommend a Gateway to anyone. I have used/purchased eMachines for about 2 years now. I would only recommend the ones not built with Celerons (cause Celerons are shit). However, eMachines built before October 2002 are the worst ones out there. That is why all the negative stuff about eMachines. Since October 2002, they have come out with some of the best computers in the sub-1000 dollar price range. So, please do not bash if you had bad experiences with eMachines, cause they are better now.

-Duane

Website

Yeah, that's pretty much it. :-\
DuaneJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2004, 17:00   #14
old and quite mad
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Rellik
LAUGH OUT LOUD!!!!
old and quite mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2004, 21:15   #15
sgtfuzzbubble011

HP and Celerons are not crap. I've got two HPs and both of them have Celerons in them. The one I'm using right now is my second HP, and I quite like this computer. Granted, my first HP came loaded with ME and had all kinds of bloated software bundled with it... so as soon as I took it out of the box when I got it, I formatted it and put 98se on it. The one I'm using right now came preloaded with XP Home, and I love this computer. It's nothing special, but it does more than I need it to do. I had to get rid of a few things that came bundled with XP, but that's no big deal. This one is also bigger than my old HP, so I have room inside for more things. It's also much easier to work on since there's so much more room inside the case. There are points about both of my HPs that I don't like, but there are many more good points about them. They're just like any other computer... they all have their ups and downs. Granted, home-built computers are generally the best way to go, but my HPs are a great alternative to people that can't afford to buy all the parts and/or don't have the knowledge to build one of their own.

Also, all the computers that I've had since my first Windows machine (3.1 was teh sh1z0t at the time) have all had Intel processors. I haven't had any problems with any of them.

My mom has an Emachines and I also have a friend that has an Emachines. I haven't heard anything bad from either of them about those computers...

I can't comment on Gateway, though. I have never had one, and I don't know anyone off the top of my head that owns one right now.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2004, 17:51   #16
GqSkrub
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to GqSkrub
Once you get as big as gateway you tend to have customer service problems, but other than that i haven't heard much bad about them. E-machines on the other hand... i've herad them to be bad news but better than nothing.

No sig here folks.
GqSkrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2004, 00:33   #17
DuaneJeffers
Major Dude

like I said, their newer machines (once they switched over management [I just found that out]) are getting really good. Heck, it received a good placing in the PC World Top 15 Desktop PCs for February 2004. They are really turning it around and I see nothing but good things coming from them. Hell, they had a Athlon 64 Notebook that I saw in Best Buy today for $1300.00 USD. That is extremely good especially since it had a Mobility Radeon 9600. I think they are really doing well.

-Duane

Website

Yeah, that's pretty much it. :-\
DuaneJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2004, 01:38   #18
Sandman2012
<3 foobar2k
(Forum King)

I got a Gateway computer as my first comp. I've had both good and bad customer service experiences with them, but the biggest problem I had was needing to contact their customer service so often. I've had most of my Gateway parts fail on me during the warranty period. Over the last two years I've slowly changed out all the Gateway parts, finally finishing the process last week with a new mobo and cpu. It's basically a home built system in a Gateway ATX case.
Sandman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions