Old 19th April 2007, 16:56   #1
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Ubuntu 7.04

7.04 has been released, you can get it here: http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/7.04/

The ubuntu servers are being hammered at the moment, but i managed to download it from some of the mirrors.

Anyone using it yet? Thoughts/opinions?
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 17:28   #2
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Finally...

Downloading as I type this.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 00:39   #3
rockouthippie
Banned

I don't know how this works in the rest of the country, but both the open source lab at the University of Oregon and at Portland State University here in Oregon have got a BIG pipe to the internet.

Enough to flood even my 15 megabit fios connection.

Look for those mirrors, at least on the West Coast.

I got Ubuntu in 9 minutes.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 02:11   #4
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Yea. I might do that. The main ubuntu.com repositories were flooded big time.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 02:59   #5
rockouthippie
Banned

Maybe one of you guys could help me out. When you install Ubuntu would you see if the repository build will encode flash video?.

On Fedora Core, it won't. I had to compile it.

If Ubuntu is "good to go" then I'll install that, if it isn't, I'm gonna stick with FC6.

I've got a machine I built out of old parts, and I want to bring it up as an encoding machine for my web.

Thanks.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 12:24   #6
zootm
Forum King

I've been using the testing version of Feisty so this essentially just means I'll stop getting so many updates

Oh, and although I use Beryl, I implore anyone with a non-ATI video card (or using the OSS drivers for ATI cards) to have fun with the built in Compiz support; find it under System/Preferences/Desktop Effects. WOBBLY WINDOWS FOR ALL.

And for people wanting to do audio editing, video editing, or graphics, check out the Ubuntu Studio packages. I think that at present they've not got their (cool looking) theme finished, but the base packages are there; if you're running normal Ubuntu, grabbing these packages through Synaptic can transform your system into a (admittedly not quite finished) studio for varying types of media:

ubuntustudio-audio
ubuntustudio-video
ubuntustudio-graphics

RoH: I'm assuming you mean FLV video? I'm not finding anything in the repositories for a search on FLV, I'm afraid.

According to documentation, though, ffmpeg supports FLV encoding, and ffmpeg is available by default. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the software so I'm not sure how to check?

Edit: Worked it out. "ffmpeg -formats" lists both the FLV file type and codec as supported.

Last edited by zootm; 20th April 2007 at 12:43.
zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2007, 04:06   #7
Omega X
Forum King

Posting this from Feisty.

I absolutely DREAD that installer when it gets to the partition part. That guided partition crap is going to hurt a lot of people trying to dual boot if they don't know what they are doing. It took me a few minutes to figure it out myself in the manual settings.

- From my experience, SuSE is still #1 in the installing department. (Partition handling and all)

- To date, no Linux distro can correctly detect my Monitor's resolution and skimps on the refresh rate.(I hate 60hz) And Ubuntu is no exception. (nvidia-settings fixed it though)

- The 64bit version is pretty fast.

- The "Desktop Effects" thing was pretty straight forward. (even downloading the nvidia drivers was a breeze)

- Works with my unusual multimedia keyboard. That is a first.

So far so good. Synaptic is a little better than Yast, though still trying to find packages is a pain. (I despise the repository BS some times)
Old 22nd April 2007, 12:18   #8
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Omega X
- From my experience, SuSE is still #1 in the installing department. (Partition handling and all)
I think that Ubuntu's install experience is better, but you're right that the SuSE installer probably has better options.

Quote:
- To date, no Linux distro can correctly detect my Monitor's resolution and skimps on the refresh rate.(I hate 60hz) And Ubuntu is no exception. (nvidia-settings fixed it though)
I had the same problem with my NVidia card. It's a complete pain.

Quote:
- The 64bit version is pretty fast.
I wouldn't recommend running the 64bit version, though. It's not significantly faster, and it is significantly less compatible with some things. I can't see a good reason to use it.

Quote:
- The "Desktop Effects" thing was pretty straight forward. (even downloading the nvidia drivers was a breeze)
They can be installed through add/remove programs now, yeah. I've had a couple of faults with desktop-effects though, I lost window borders for some reason on some system.

Quote:
So far so good. Synaptic is a little better than Yast, though still trying to find packages is a pain. (I despise the repository BS some times)
Unless you really need something unusual (or you're a developer, of course), the Add/Remove system is more than ample. It's excellent.

Old 22nd April 2007, 13:32   #9
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Repository BS is sure a lot better than going to find all of those obscure libraries yourself

So far, I do like Feisty. The upgrade was absolutely painless and since I did it yesterday, the servers were back on their feet and it was all finished in about an hour. Not too bad at all.

The desktop effects are nice, but I'm looking forward to beryl by default. However, I don't really have a need for desktop effects and they still don't really work over vnc. That is hardly a big deal, though.

I didn't have any problems with the refresh rate, because I had already set it correctly in my install of edgy.

So far, I'm really liking ubuntu. Gentoo is my favorite distro, but there was no way in hell that I had the time to tie up this machine while it compiled. I needed a stable system - fast. Ubuntu did the trick and works great.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2007, 13:53   #10
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by k_rock923
The desktop effects are nice, but I'm looking forward to beryl by default.
Isn't going to happen; the two branches are marging back together. The bonus of this, though, is that the flashy Beryl effects should start appearing in Compiz, hopefully with its much better stability.

Old 23rd April 2007, 06:46   #11
Edterjoenceten1
Banned

I like to be fisted!
Edterjoenceten1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2007, 17:53   #12
Omega X
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by k_rock923
Repository BS is sure a lot better than going to find all of those obscure libraries yourself
I personally think that they should bundle all of those most used libraries into one package so that you don't have to chase them down all the time.
Old 23rd April 2007, 21:02   #13
mikm
Major Dude

All the most-used libraries should come by default .