Old 13th November 2007, 13:37   #1
tizzy123

how can install color themes?

i mean what should i do with the xml files...

where to save them and all the other stuff...
tizzy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 15:51   #2
TheUniqueTiger

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=276400
Download the Color Editor and then you can edit the color themes easily. Only the themes you create can be edited. After you create a color theme, remember to save/export.

You have only One Life... So before You are History, make sure you get into History books. - TheUniqueTiger
My personal website, HiFiBB ... Simply Hifi!, HiFiBB
TheUniqueTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 21:49   #3
JonnyMac

If you downloaded a color theme pack and it did not come with a auto-installer , the XML files should go in the Winamp\Plugins\ColorThemes\Skin Name folder. You might have to add the ColorThemes folder your self, the same also goes for the folder with corresponding to the skin name.

Example, if you downloaded a color theme for the Winamp Modern default skin. The file would go to a C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins\ColorThemes\Winamp Modern folder. The actual path will depend on where you installed Winamp.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2007, 23:25   #4
The Serminator

Location: on the road to Elysium with my pockets full of diamonds
When I do as you suggest, my themes are saved... but "locked" when I try to re-open them for editing in Color Editor.

Can anyone tell me why?

Or at least tell me how to delete all of these older versions of custom color themes?

Thanks.

"Come with me, if you want to live."
The Serminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 00:15   #5
JonnyMac

You did what as suggested?

Themes that are in the directory referenced above are treated as if there are part of the skin file and are locked.

Themes that are saved (not exported) with the Color Editor can be edited.

Deleting default/original skin color themes would require editing the skin file.

If you want to delete an additional (non-default) color theme from a XML file, you can load the file in to Notepad and delete the corresponding gammaset group. Then save the file. However, I would suggest making a backup of the file you're changing incase something goes wrong.

Example of a gamaset group

<gammaset id="Color Theme Name">
..<gammagroup id= element name and color values />
</gammaset>
Old 16th November 2007, 02:46   #6
The Serminator

Yes, I did exactly as you suggested.

There seems to be some issue with where Color Editor is saving themes. (It's referenced in the CE 2.1.1 thread.)

So... where should edited color themes be saved so that they can be edited again?

As for editing the already existing themes, the XML file in the Winamp\Plugins\ColorThemes\Skin Name folder is really short. If I'm understanding you correctly, this file should contain information for ALL of the color themes, not just one. My XML files only contain 1 gammaset group.

Thanks again for your help.

What is really frustrating about this whole thing is that before I was forced into a clean install of Winamp, my old install of Color Editor 2.1.1 worked perfectly, even with 5.5.

Old 16th November 2007, 03:40   #7
JonnyMac

When CE saves color themes (not export), it is a set location and you can't change it. It is either

C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins\Freeform\wacs\coloreditor\data

-or- for a multi-user setup is it

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Winamp\Plugins\Freeform\wacs\coloreditor\data

Based on what r.e.e.d said from the CE thread, there is apparently a conflict with WA's multi-user support.

If you are on a single/shared setup of WA, you could try the following.

While Winamp is not running go to the "regular" folder (C:\Program Files\Winamp). Try renaming paths.ini to pathis.ini.off. Move the .XML files from C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Winamp\Plugins\Freeform\wacs\coloreditor\data to C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins\Freeform\wacs\coloreditor\data.

Note: The problem with that method, Winamp's settings that were saved to the Documents and Settings\…\Application Data folder won't be available. So you might have to copy the setup files to the from the Documents and Settings\…\Application Data\Winamp folders to the corresponding folders in the "regular" folder. That may be more trouble that it is worth. So, maybe waiting until the issue is resolved would be better.
Old 16th November 2007, 21:21   #8
The Serminator

Quote:
That may be more trouble that it is worth. So, maybe waiting until the issue is resolved would be better.
Hmm... you may be right about that.

Still, I'm following what you're saying... We'll give 'er a go and see what happens.

Could you explain why the XML files that I'm finding do not contain ALL of the color themes? Where is CE pulling from when I change from one theme to the next?

Old 16th November 2007, 21:49   #9
JonnyMac

Skin themes can come from several different places…
  • The skin file itself = default/original color themes
  • The Plugins\ColorThemes folder = additional/"third party" color themes like the ones from the Default Modern Skin Color Themes and Bento Skin Color Themes threads.
  • The Winamp\Plugins\Freeform\wacs\coloreditor\data folder = where edited themes go when you click Save in the CE
What you see in the XML file depends on where color themes are "stored".

BTW, I am moving this thread to Winamp Discussion. Although there is some tech support stuff here, it has become more of a discussion. If another mode feels it should be moved somewhere else, please feel free to do so.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
Old 16th November 2007, 22:23   #10
The Serminator

Thx. Makes perfect sense.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion