Old 16th November 2007, 15:01   #1
monado

Mediakey - keyboard problem

Hello,

I've been using Winamp for a while, but updated to 5.5 two days ago. It all seemed to be working well except my keyboard controls on my Saitek Eclipse II would not work. So I searched through preference and checked on the button that allows for commands to run even if Winamp isn't on. (For example, if I am playing a video game I can still hit crt-alt-p for play - this also allows the media keys to be used correctly - play/pause/stop/forward-back)

I then turned Winamp on today and a small error box occured saying something like "media key...error." Then Winamp disappeared off the screen. Winamp is still playing (my entire library is on shuffle - like I keep it - and the keyboard controls work) and it is visible on the main Windows Start Toolbar, but it wont expand and has to be crtl-alt-deleted to close.

Some system information is:
Dell Dimension 4600
80GB memory and 2GB RAM
Soundmax digital audio - I think that may be the soundcard
Nividia GeForce 6600 video card
Windows XP service pack 2
The latest DirectX version (I have to have it for my videogame-just don't know the exact number)
I am using the free version of Winamp 5.5
I have no downloaded plugins

I hope I can solve this, I really can't use iTunes or Windows Media Player..I hate them both. Thanks for any help..I would really appreciate it, as I have a song stuck in my head, and I can't get to it on random..ha..
monado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 15:09   #2
monado

A quick update...the error box says

MEDIAKEY.VDX I believe...

When I try to open Winamp it will only stay open for about a half a second

...sorry didn't see the edit button
Old 16th November 2007, 19:08   #3
monado

Anyone???
Old 16th November 2007, 22:00   #4
monado

Version 5.35

Is there any ways to get version 5.35 re-installed? The new version 5.5 just messes up my computer, and doesn't add any worthwhile features.
Old 17th November 2007, 00:39   #5
JonnyMac

I have merged your threads. Maybe you don't need downgrade to a previous version if the issue(s) you are having can be fixed.

Older versions of Winamp are available at WinampHeaven. You are welcome to use 5.35, however older versions do not receive tech support.

If you would prefer to use WA 5.5…

As for the keyboard issue, that error message has been reported with a third party plug-in called Multimedia Keyboard Control. Are you using any third party keyboard plug-ins?

Any other issues you are having? Can you provide Winamp & system specs?

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2007, 03:40   #6
monado

Thanks for the help, and for pointing out where I can get the old versions.

I tried posting my system specs in the first post, and I can add that I had Winamp version 5.5 Full downloaded.

Also I did not download the Keyboard Multimedia plug-in. I did not have any plug-ins downloaded at all. All I did was go to preferences and turn on "Enable Global Hotkeys." The error message occurred the next time I turned Winamp back on.

If anyone has any other ideas I would still be greatly appreciative, and if not, I will happily go back to version 5.35. Its still 100x better than iTunes, Windows Media Player , or Music match Jukebox.
Old 17th November 2007, 22:08   #7
JonnyMac

Quote:
Originally posted by monado
I tried posting my system specs in the first post
Whoops, sorry about asking for specs when you already posted them. That was a "boilerplate" habit on my part.

While Winamp is not running (somewhat unavoidable as of now), load Winamp.ini in Notepad and use the find menu to look for [gen_hotkeys]. Just under [gen_hotkeys] change enabled=1 to enabled=0 where 0 is a zero. Then save Winamp.ini. See if you can successfully start Winamp.

Depending on the Winamp install, Winamp.ini can be found in...
C:\Program Files\Winamp

-or- for a multi-user setup is it

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Winamp
The Application Data folder is hidden by default, so you may need to checkmark "show hidden files/folders" in: Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab

Try going to Dell and see if you can get driver updates to your multimedia keyboard.

If you are still having issues with WA 5.5 and global hotkey support, maybe a HijackThis log and a plug-ins will provide some helpful insight. Info on posting a plug-ins list and HjT log are in the specs link above.

Good Luck

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support