Old 25th October 2013, 05:31   #1
sullysnet

winamp crashing over and over

I have to say this is the oddest night of PC issues I have ever had in the many years I have been using and working on PC's. I updated to the latest version tonight and now I cannot play songs with the main window hidden. I have even reverted back to a version to see if it would go away.

Run winamp, open files from the open button with the main window open and I can launch files till the cows come home. Hide the main window and crash. Relaunch try to load a song, crash. If the main window is open and I go to file - play file, it plays fine. Any time I hide the main window it will crash. What is going on? Never had this issue before and I can't go back a version and I can't move up a version.

I have a Creative SB X-FI using the SPDIF out to my amplifier. I have used this setup now for years with no issue and I always hide the main window. I have the latest SB X-FI drives. I have also tried changing out the output plugin to Maiko WASAPI and that works the same way only with the main window is displaying and not with it hidden. Has anyone seen anything like that. I am completely confused at what the issue could be. Please someone help. I've been using this player since I first started using a computer. Back at Windows 95 and I have never used another player. So I am a bit lost with this app.

thanks

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: winamp.exe
Application Version: 5.6.4.3418
Application Timestamp: 51cb537f
Fault Module Name: gen_ff.dll
Fault Module Version: 1.45.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 51cb538a
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000216a
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I even tried safe mode, at first it seemed like it worked and then it stopped working. Odd because I only had that one 3rd party plugin and I had winamp remove it. So it is back to only working with the main window up.

Uploaded dumps
code:
http://ul.to/2qn75w3z

It’s a fragile thing, this life we lead, if I think too much, I can’t get over
sullysnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 08:14   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
latest ver is 5.65

and we could use your info tool report.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 13:25   #3
DrO

what's requested above needs to be done / provided.

from looking at the crash dumps, i cannot determine why it's crashing where it is unless something is messing with the Winamp process (as there's something from Office14 which appears to have been also loaded into the Winamp process indirectly which i don't know what it does), otherwise it all looks ok.

when you're back on v5.65, if it still happens, provide a dmp file as well as a copy of the winamp.ini and studio.xnf files (in addition to the info report already requested).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 14:51   #4
sullysnet

those dumps should include one or more with 5.65

I will get the rest of the information when I get a moment to start up my machine. Office wasn't even open so I am not sure why that would be an issue. I have it setup right now as vanilla flavored Winamp with no extra plugins. What I find odd is, it works 100% with the main window open or shaded but not hidden. I've been using it that way since I started using it. Nothing major has changed on my machine. Antivirus is set to ignore the Winamp folder and subfolders. I first thought it was that.

thanks

Old 25th October 2013, 15:24   #5
sullysnet

more crashes and all files requested uploaded

code:
http://ul.to/wv1xkks7

I'm on the latest build

thanks

Old 25th October 2013, 21:54   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

its bad enough I can't click the link but after I try it I get some german site that pops up a ton of confusing windows.

no mas.

--
Old 25th October 2013, 22:05   #7
DrO

well i've got the files needed from the link without too much issue. will look through the dump files over the weekend.
Old 26th October 2013, 04:41   #8
sullysnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
well i've got the files needed from the link without too much issue. will look through the dump files over the weekend.
are you looking at them with windbg?

Old 27th October 2013, 03:59   #9
sullysnet

trying out my 3rd party plugin with the window shaded and so far so good. Weird that nothing works with the main window hidden. Still confused about that and how it would cause a crash. Hopefully you find something in the dump.

thanks

Old 28th October 2013, 12:03   #10
DrO

i've been able to replicate the crash issue though am struggling to determine why it fails at the point it does. will see what i can do though am not too hopeful at the moment with the time constraints i have.
Old 28th October 2013, 12:50   #11
DrO

found the cause of the issue and i've managed to put in some checks to resolve the crash issue.

only problem now is that in the setup you have, if the notifier is enabled (as that's what was triggering the issue), it'll appear in random positions on the screen so is probably best to disable that if not needed unless i can sort out a fix for that issue.
Old 29th October 2013, 00:41   #12
sullysnet

thanks a lot. I do like the notifier it is helpful when you have many songs loaded. Always enjoy that feature and I think I use to use a 3rd party version of it at one point. For now I will disable it and test it. If you had time to fix it that would GREAT. If you get to it at some point then that is cool as well. I can use it for now in the shaded mode or turn off the notifier or even load the 3rd party one for now. Please keep me up to date if you can.

thanks again!!!

Old 29th October 2013, 09:46   #13
MrSinatra
Forum King

i'm trying to follow the issue here...

DrO, are you saying his notifier appears in random spots on the screen? why? is that a setting he can change? does making it not be random fix it? and why does his crash, but not others?

--
Old 29th October 2013, 11:12   #14
DrO

its all down to how the modern skins work and using the main window as a reference for finding information at times (I won't go deeper than that as thats just how it works). without a main window then other things can fail (as happened if not properly checked).

the notifier issue is a side effect of fixing the crash (though can happen irrespective of the fixes and the crash hide the issue showing) and needs extra checks in the skin scripts to cope with such a scenario (checking for the main window being hidden and default to the main window or something like that for placement instead of basing it on the main window placement).

explicitly hiding the main window is not common and is why things don't fail for most people.
Old 29th October 2013, 12:57   #15
MrSinatra
Forum King

I think I understand better now, thx

--
Old 30th October 2013, 00:38   #16
sullysnet

He is correct that it's not common. In the old days I had the smaller skin up but once I found the tray control I started to hide the main window from view. I rarely do play lists and usually just select a few songs or one album at a time. So tray control works for me. Not that I do not love the GUI and all the hard work they put into it been using the application as long as I've had a computer. I could never move to something else.

thanks again for looking at this. Hopefully you find me a fix

Old 23rd November 2013, 03:43   #17
sullysnet

DrO did you get a chance to fix this or solve this? Now that I see Winamp is going way which is such a sin!!!! I was hoping for a fix if possible.

thanks for your help

I loaded the new version. Tested and it doesn't crash but the notification is in an odd place. It doesn't show it completely and it appears randomly on the screen LOL. I guess for now I will keep it down near my taskbar in hopes that some company buys it and revives my dear Winamp......

Last edited by sullysnet; 23rd November 2013 at 05:55.
Old 25th November 2013, 13:13   #18
DrO

what you're seeing is exactly what i said the fix would achieve / cause. i've not been able to do anything further though a competent skinner with the most recent Bento source code would be able to fix it without a native Winamp update anyway (as the display positioning issue is a bug in the notifier's assumptions).
Old 29th November 2013, 04:39   #19
sullysnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
what you're seeing is exactly what i said the fix would achieve / cause. i've not been able to do anything further though a competent skinner with the most recent Bento source code would be able to fix it without a native Winamp update anyway (as the display positioning issue is a bug in the notifier's assumptions).
okay thanks. I would not know what to do. Maybe one day it will be solved or I will feel ambitious to experiment.

Old 3rd December 2013, 18:05   #20
DrO

it might be possible to see this resolved for the 5.66x update patch which has now been scheduled (as the issues with most of the language packs is enough to warrant an agreement to do one more patch update build). no promises but it's on my todo list to try to do something about, if not then what i've said still holds true that it can be patched post release.
Old 10th December 2013, 05:02   #21
sullysnet

okay thanks a lot. I pray Winamp continues on some how. I use it just about every night.

Old 12th December 2013, 00:57   #22
DrO

i've ended up patching things in gen_ff directly rather than in the skin files so it works on any of the skins using the updates which led to part of the issues raised in this thread (plus is keeps the skins a bit cleaner). so the build coming tomorrow (barring any issues) will have the fix for showing the notifier on the main window when the Winamp main window is hidden.
Old 12th December 2013, 00:59   #23
MrSinatra
Forum King

cool

--
Old 14th December 2013, 03:09   #24
sullysnet

awesome I owe you. Still holding on that there will be a future for this great player.

Old 15th December 2013, 02:17   #25
sullysnet

so far looks great you're the best!!! Winamp has always been my favorite app. Like many others it's the first app I install when installing/reinstalling Windows.

Hopefully there is a better future for Nullsoft and Winamp Good luck

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support