Old 10th March 2012, 14:09   #1
DJFontain

I downloaded winamp media player,,,

where do i go to enable 2 mixers currently only get 1.
thx
DJFontain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 12:21   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi DJFontain,

Not sure what you mean by 2 mixers. If you want to run 2 or more instances of Winamp, go the the General Preferences (Ctrl + P) and select the "Allow multiple instances" option.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 04:49   #3
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Hi DJFontain,

Not sure what you mean by 2 mixers. If you want to run 2 or more instances of Winamp, go the the General Preferences (Ctrl + P) and select the "Allow multiple instances" option.
does that work for you? thats been a broken pref to me for years now...

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 09:01   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
does that work for you? thats been a broken pref to me for years now...
Yes it does. However when I experience the problem of the main Winamp process still running when the rest of Winamp has been closed, I'm able to restart Winamp (2 main processes running) even if the option to allow multiple instances is disabled.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 20th March 2012, 21:37   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Yes it does. However when I experience the problem of the main Winamp process still running when the rest of Winamp has been closed, I'm able to restart Winamp (2 main processes running) even if the option to allow multiple instances is disabled.
yeah, i think we all have that problem.

but my exp of purposely running 2 instances with the pref enabled, is that not long after u get both up and running and switching between them, playing stuff, they lock up and either crash or go dead, such that u have to force them closed.

u have had 2 running instances of one install with that pref enabled that went on working like that indefinitely?

--
Old 21st March 2012, 06:05   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
u have had 2 running instances of one install with that pref enabled that went on working like that indefinitely?
No, I'm not claiming that. I seldom run 2 instances of Winamp and never for a long time with a lot of switching between them. When I do run 2 instances, I have one set to use my sound card and the other set to use my mobo's sound chip. Seems to work ok.

I use VirtualDJ for DJ style mixing. It's awkward to use Winamp for that (and never found plug-in support for DJ mixing that I liked). Good to know it doesn't hold up for that kind of use, too bad. I had not read any reports of that during my short time on the forums.

Old 21st March 2012, 06:07   #7
Nightryde

Have you guys tried installing winamp in two different locations and running each instance from its own location?
Nightryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 06:32   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
No, I'm not claiming that. I seldom run 2 instances of Winamp and never for a long time with a lot of switching between them. When I do run 2 instances, I have one set to use my sound card and the other set to use my mobo's sound chip. Seems to work ok.

I use VirtualDJ for DJ style mixing. It's awkward to use Winamp for that (and never found plug-in support for DJ mixing that I liked). Good to know it doesn't hold up for that kind of use, too bad. I had not read any reports of that during my short time on the forums.
perhaps you could test it, but maybe your secret is that you use separate audio devices for each instance? do u manually set that when spawning the second instance?

my problem may in fact be something peculiar to me, but i have seen others report it.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=316323

and your issue:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=324693

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightryde View Post
Have you guys tried installing winamp in two different locations and running each instance from its own location?
i haven't, but i believe i've heard that works. but that wouldn't be a solution i'd be interested in. i want the pref to work as advertised.

--
Old 21st March 2012, 11:30   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi MrSinatra,

Thanks for the links. I have not experienced the issue 'ericcchubb' had. When I have multiple instances disabled, I can't open another instance unless the first instance did not completely shutdown and even then I can only open 1 more instance.

I could test various configurations but it will take a week or so to schedule some time.

When I tried DJing with WA, I had 1 instance set for my sound card connected to my speakers and another instance set for my mobo's sound chip connected to my headphones. Yes I had to setup the 2nd instance after spawning and of course WA would save the configuration of whichever instance I shutdown last.

The only way around this is to do what 'Nightryde' suggested which gives you 2 winamp.ini files and all the other configuration and database files. There are ways to reduce this duplication by changing the default locations of stuff (tricky to setup).

Anyway while playing music in the instance connected to my speakers, I could listen and chose the next song in the instance connected to my headphones. Then I would add my selection to the playlist of the instance connected to my speakers. So things worked in that limited manner. But like I said this was awkward and impossible to play part of a song, go to part of another, and return to the first seamlessly.

I can see where using 2 instances to the same audio device and switching back and forth could cause problems (before Windows Vista and 7 shared mode), if one instance had exclusive use of the audio device when the other instance tried to use it and the first instance did not let it go in time. This along with the way Windows used to allocate run time to multiple apps when using a single core processor (it sometimes didn't switch to the app requesting service fast enough, big problem for audio/video apps). Also audio device drivers used to be able to block what the OS was trying to do. You mentioned you first had a problem when using XP. It should be less of a problem with Windows Vista and 7, as far as the audio device or devices go. As to your WA user interface problems (1 working media library window and such), I have no clue at this time. Maybe it's one of the modern skin problems.

This stuff can get real complicated real fast. Don't know what usage scenario WA had/has in mind for multiple instances.

VirtualDJ solved all this for me (1 free version, others range from $49 to $299). One app with multiple players that can connect to 1 or multiple audio devices (among other things like, beat matching, pitch blending, etc). It's codecs don't sound as good as WA's, but at a party, volume and beat is more important than sound quality. The VirtualDJ Home version is free but the ability to connect to multiple audio devices is a time limited demo. This prevents listening to one song while playing another, but all the other things a DJ would want to do are supported. If I remember right, you get to use multiple audio devices for about a half hour before the app would switch to the primary device only, then you would have to shutdown, restart and reselect the audio devices for another half hour use.

Last edited by Aminifu; 21st March 2012 at 13:10.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support