Old 8th August 2003, 11:40   #1
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Nintendo stop making the Cube...

...at least for a few months, or is this the beginning of the end...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3134651.stm

/discuss
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2003, 15:13   #2
Mattress
Forum King

If prices for them go down too I might consider purchasing one.
Quote:
The games market shrunk dramatically last year, Mr Iwata said, because players were getting frustrated with the ever more sophisticated games.

Some games can take months to finish and the result is players are buying fewer of them.

"This trend is clear to everyone, and the trend continues this year," Mr Iwata said.

So in a bid to recapture sales, Nintendo has said it will move back toproducts that anyone can play and enjoy.

Nintendo now hopes to drive sales this year with new games, including a version of the 1980s favourite Donkey Kong, and has promised a product for next spring "that will deliver fresh surprises" and be fun even for novices.
I don't understand how releasing old style games like donkey kong will increase game purchases, if anything they will continually lower game sales because you can play donkey kong and centipede and stuff like that forever, because there is no real "story" so there is no real ending to the game.
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2003, 15:16   #3
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattress
If prices for them go down too I might consider purchasing one.

Funny, I was thinking the same, if only to play Zelda....
Old 8th August 2003, 18:39   #4
Mattress
Forum King

Exactly.

also N64 had a few good multiplayer games (bond, mario cart) and since the cube has 4 controller ports I'm assuming they probably will too.
Old 8th August 2003, 20:04   #5
mark
Forum King

the cube is good, it beats xbox. the thing is, those that would get one, are sucked in by ps2. i know i was...
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2003, 03:24   #6
sgtfuzzbubble011

I wasn't "sucked in" by the PS2...
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2003, 13:41   #7
Mr_007
Banned

Oh worry for nintendo!
Mr_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2003, 04:02   #8
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr_007
Oh worry for nintendo!
Just nearly my exact sentiment :) it sucks to know that someone so good at something can do so bad with it. nintendos "anti-prosperity" of late falls at the feet of the same short minded prejudice of the same make that most will defend nintendo with. "stay open you might miss something good" *omits comands you all to go spend unusally reckless amounts of bux-dollars on nintendo games. as to encourage the prosperity of a good thing.

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2003, 20:01   #9
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

I am waiting for the next gen VR types...

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
hgnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2003, 02:32   #10
laz
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to laz
Quote:
The company concedes that it had made mistakes with the GameCube by not ensuring a consistent flow of attractive new games for the console.
There you go Nintendo, that is your problem. I was hoping they learned that from the N64, they need a constant stream of good to great games.

But they are doing something right with the GBA, I just LOVE the little machine!

My last GC game I bought was Robotech: Battlecry for $8, the previous one was Zelda in may.... They need a lot more good games to stay alive, and a kick ass multiplayer game like Bond and Perfect Dark... but they sold rare off.... fools.
laz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2003, 13:31   #11
mark
Forum King

if they pulled out of the full console mrket, and started focussing entirely on handhelds, i dont think that would be a bad move. they could always sell their 1st party games to sony/micro$oft
Old 11th August 2003, 15:21   #12
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Well, well, well...
Sure, the tremendous success of the PS2 plays its part here. When your competitor is extremely powerful and you are yourself somehow out of the game, the situation becomes hard to manage.
Now, I think that the best fate for Nintendo would be similar to Sega's : they should stop designing consoles and work on games only.
Let's face it : Nintendo has multiplied mistakes. It's not that they produce bad consoles, it's just that they keep on using the exact same recipes as 5, 10 or 25 years ago : Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda...I'm not saying these are bad franchises but heck, when it's about all you have on a machine, it gets frustrating. I guess
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2003, 16:00   #13
mark
Forum King

seer, good idea except 1 thing. GBA IS THE BEST DAMN PORTABLE CONSOLE IN THE WORLD!

but yeah, zelda on ps3 wouldnt bother me. I'm NOT buying a cube, jsut for that, just like im not buying an xbox for star wars, halo and that rpg one with the kid that you play through the life of... (fable?)
Old 11th August 2003, 16:03   #14
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Well, they should then stop making home consoles and stick to portable ones. But then again, Sony plans on releasing a portable PS2 soon
Old 11th August 2003, 16:04   #15
mark
Forum King

the psp? you wouldnt believe the number of fake piccys of that. most are modified CLIE PDAs...
Old 11th August 2003, 16:06   #16
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

On a different note...
How many people think that part of the Cube's lack of success is its inability to play DVDs ?
Old 11th August 2003, 16:16   #17
mark
Forum King

yeah. and the japanese dvd playing "Q" version was really cool looking too. better than a ps2!

why didnt they bring it over here?
Old 11th August 2003, 16:21   #18
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Twilightseer
On a different note...
How many people think that part of the Cube's lack of success is its inability to play DVDs ?
Not at all, the PS's laughable DVD decoder is NOT the big selling point of the console, not by a long long shot, in fact I would go as far as saying, if Sony had spent more time on the actual guts of the machine, rather than cramming in half ass DVD playback, then the PS2 would be even more popular than it is now.

The big seller of the PS2 was..

A) The name sony, already in a zillion peoples living rooms as PS1
B) Backwards compatability, no need to chuck out all those PS1 games you bought (even tho PS1 emulation on PS2 is again, laughably creaky)

Do I sound anti sony?, no, I'm not, I own a PS2 and enjoy it hugely, but I didn't buy it on the strength of DVD playback, which trust me, is really laughable, might look good on small screen playback, but ramp it up on some serious AV decoding equipment and you will wonder why you ever watch a DVD on it....
Old 11th August 2003, 16:24   #19
mark
Forum King

good enough for me jonesy....
Old 11th August 2003, 16:46   #20
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Stick it on some high def TV equipment,anything over 28inches in size, and watch those picture artifacts show up like some old relative you don't like.

PS2 DVD playback is quite possibly THE worst DVD playback I've ever seen outside of some of these cheapo chinese DVD players.

Long and short of it is, you have a cheapy DVD encoder built into what is esentially a games machine, whose prime function in life is to play games, get a very high end dedicated DVD player and spot the difference.

Those who appreciate quality audio/video playback know difference
Old 11th August 2003, 17:35   #21
Mattress
Forum King

well, DVD and legacy PS1 games support were pretty big selling points for me on the PS2.
Old 11th August 2003, 23:14   #22
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

I have no problems with it on a 21" TV, or on my old 14" set. You're supposed to play games on smaller TV's anyway, so it makes sense that any console would usually be connected to a small TV. No console with DVD capability was ever intended to be a serious player in the DVD market; Sony would prefer you to buy one of their more expensive standalone models, obviously.

as he faced the sun, he cast no shadow
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2003, 02:12   #23
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
Twilightseer said...
On a different note...
I'm glad Nintendo didn't add DVD support to the Cube. It's a game console, not a DVD/CD player. The fact that both MS and Sony added DVD support to their machines is another reason I wouldn't own either of them. When I buy a game machine, I want it to play games... nothing more, nothing less.

If Nintendo did, for instance, happen to release a system with DVD support... I might just have to give it up and find something else to occupy my time other than games. Well, seriously, I think that Nintendo would alienate a large part of their consumer base if they did something like that. Real gamers realize that Nintendo's choice to omit DVD support in the Cube was the right thing to do. I can tell you one thing for sure... If they ever do release a system with DVD support that I actually do happen to buy, it'll never see a DVD from me.
Old 12th August 2003, 03:55   #24
laz
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to laz
Quote:
Originally posted by sgtfuzzbubble99
seriously, I think that Nintendo would alienate a large part of their consumer base if they did something like that. Real gamers realize that Nintendo's choice to omit DVD support in the Cube was the right thing to do. I can tell you one thing for sure... If they ever do release a system with DVD support that I actually do happen to buy, it'll never see a DVD from me.
I feel the same way. I wish more people (fanboys for the other systems) felt or at least acknowlaged the fact that not having DVD may be a good thing. I mean, why would I watch DVD's on a console, I have a dedicated DVD player, and it is a DAMN good DVD player, it played DVD/CD/VCD, nothing more, nothing less. I dont want a punch of other CRAP that only makes it cost more and that will never get used. I feel the same why about a console.

This is a sad time for nintendo, I wish everyone would just go out and by a GC and Metroid and Mario and Zelda, Help out Nintendo. But they did do this to themselfs, they didnt learn form the N64 at all, they needed more games, and better games, and a more constand flow of good games. They didnt, and that hurt them.
I wish only for the best from Nintendo in the next system wars, and hope this time they learn from their errors and have some more "mature" (real maturity (think Perfect Dark on n64 or Mafia on PC) not GTA3 imaturity) games and more games in general for it.

I am almost on the edge of giving up on consoles in general, but Nintendo have me hooked for life.
And it would just NOT BE RIGHT to see Zelda on a system made by Microsoft, so I HOPE it NEVER happens. Or they could go and make games for Linux if they have to get out of the hardware world...
laz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2003, 08:48   #25
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

About the PS2 DVD thing : it's not the first time I hear people dismissing it as one of the worst ever, actually, I finf it pretty decent, I would gladly buy a home cinema system but wait, I don't have the money
It's also good to see that even Nintendo fans admit that the firm has been making critical mistakes over the last few years. Now, I'd really prefer a Sony/Nintendo war over a Sony/Microsoft war
Old 12th August 2003, 08:52   #26
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Twilightseer
I would gladly buy a home cinema system but wait, I don't have the money
Always helps heh
Old 12th August 2003, 16:10   #27
Mattress
Forum King

I think it's rather odd that a person would not buy a Game Cube if it had DVD support? it still plays games. I liked that the PS2 had DVD support because I didn't have a DVD player before I bought it, so I killed two birds with one stone in my situation.
Old 12th August 2003, 16:18   #28
mark
Forum King

ok, one more time!

nintendo did make a dvd version in conjunction with panasonic for japan, called "Q"
Old 12th August 2003, 17:23   #29
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Technically Nintendo didn't make that, Panasonic did...
http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?cat...ducts_id=1575&

It's typical Jap hybrid product, much like the soon to be launched PS-x or whatever it's called, the PS2 with DVD recorder etc built in...
Old 13th August 2003, 01:43   #30
sgtfuzzbubble011

That looks really cool, and I do really like Panasonic, but I would probably never buy one even if I had the money. If it came down to it, I'd get a normal Panasonic DVD player and a Nintendo GameCube instead of a Q system. The Cube does everything that I want in a game console: It plays games, and it does a damn good job at it.

Quote:
Nobby said...
nintendo did make a dvd version in conjunction with panasonic for japan, called "Q"
Nintendo made a DVD version of what? Like Jones said, the Q is not a GameCube. True, the Cube has Matsushita (Panasonic) parts in it, but it's still a Nintendo product.

Quote:
Mattress said...
I think it's rather odd that a person would not buy a Game Cube if it had DVD support? it still plays games.
I find it rather odd that a game company would make a "game system" that can play DVDs. And it's not just the fact that the Xbox and PS2 can play DVDs that makes me not want either of them... it's also the fact that I don't care much for either MS or Sony. Sadly enough, I'm using a MS product right now, but I can't be arsed to learn other OSes right now. And even though I don't care for Sony the same, I do like a few of their products... just not the Playstation. Now, Nintendo on the other hand, they've always made great things. I was hooked when I first played the original Mario Brothers back in the mid-80s. I've loved Nintendo ever since. True, MS and Sony have some great games for their systems too, but they aren't "Game Companies" like Nintendo is. Sony makes hella more money off of all of their other products. MS makes all their profit from their software. Nintendo makes all their money from their games.
Old 13th August 2003, 08:59   #31
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Looks like Nintendo should just go back to their original business : manufacturing card games.

/me runs from Sarge's wrath
Old 13th August 2003, 11:02   #32
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

If only Sega came out with a Dreamcast 2

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2003, 04:22   #33
sgtfuzzbubble011

*whacks 'Seer in the head with a cow*

Quote:
If only Sega came out with a Dreamcast 2
I used to not like Sega, but I gained quite a bit of respect for the company recently. Now that I look back, Sega actually had some good shtuff... but still, I wouldn't have taken a Genesis over my SNES. A lot of their games were actually pretty good, too.
Old 15th August 2003, 07:53   #34
Bizznatch
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Bizznatch
Re: Nintendo stop making the Cube...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
...at least for a few months, or is this the beginning of the end...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3134651.stm

/discuss

Nintendo didnt have much to show for at E3 this year, and after a so-so era of the Nintendo 64, i'd have to say Nintendo is slowly dying, at least in the console market, they're still pretty strong in the handheld market. But now that there has been announcements of a next gen Xbox and the PS3, I think Nintendo's time is running out.

As for gaming systems using DVD's thats just an added bonus, I have never played a DVD on my PS2 as of yet, I ahve about 6 DVD players that do that for me, I did not buy the PS2 to play DVDs, but even if it didn't I would have still payed $180 for the system.

My all-time favorite gaming machine also has a DVD player attached to it, and that is the PC. I can play all the classic games through emulators and roms and some of the best video games ever made as well, with online multiplayer of up to 64 players to boot
Bizznatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2003, 11:43   #35
mark
Forum King

or up to millions if you are into everquest....
Old 16th August 2003, 02:47   #36
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

i dont mind extra stuff on a console. its like a gift; as if there being kind. i believe the only reason nintendo did not make their console a multimedia thing was because, they felt having to ultimatly surrender to discs was a bit of a cop out since the 64 was such a show of faith in the cartridge; they were trying to make sure people didnt think they were sell outs. (& keep costs low which was nice of them too.) the successor to the game cube is already in development. by the way, im geussing they will add extras to it. (i hope so[mmm...extra])
nintendo is still healthy i think. they make enough money off of the gameboy/pokemon to keep there console legacy going, probably. *shrug. especially in japan. i recently overheard a conversation about nintendo's dominance/health in the gaming market. mind you it was the gamestop guy, but still. i think the rumors/conversations of nintendo's enevitable doom are fruits of the enemy (sony)...*says omit as he contimplates playing that new demo of downhill domination he got in the mail. ( ; )it seems to me that alot of times if you want something (business + the like) to fall you just start talking about how its going to fall soon. people (the collective crowd[sheep]) start thinking its going to fall and withdraw their support, instead of inforcing it. nintendos good at what they do (reall good); ill bet that even the most evol of nintendos enemies are at home playing animal crossing. nintendo are the good guys :dont be sheep!: having or not having a specific explicitness does NOT make a game good or bad. if you were to dismiss nintendo for a kiddie thingy that is just close mindedness. think of all the other close minded things racism, stuburness, vanity etc... if your like that about anything that means your with them (*preaches omit as he shakes his finger in the air. and pushes up his taped in the middle lisa loeb dark and thick plastic glasses. j/k i dont have glasses, well i dont use them.) |[*omit is seen taking a long breath to begin his next segment of winded badly punctuated nonliner random nonesence, pauses, clears throat, loses intrest, and toddles off to play brave fenser musashi.]| go buy a game cube its good for you.

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2003, 06:24   #37
sgtfuzzbubble011

Amen.
Old 16th August 2003, 13:53   #38
mark
Forum King

nsdn makes sarges upside down CT invisible... almost.
Old 16th August 2003, 21:46   #39
sgtfuzzbubble011

Yes, I noticed that too. I love the dark theme though, so that's what I use. Oh well.
Old 17th August 2003, 00:33   #40
thecraft

Send a message via AIM to thecraft
Hmmm... I hate to see GCN crash and burn... But I wonder what it'd be like if Nintendo pumped out more M an T-rated games rather than kiddie E games.
thecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center