Old 7th October 2004, 02:31   #121
xenosomething
Major Dude

of course the technology is there....but im saying that sony/ms aren't interested in pursuing these unique things.

nintendo has already hinted it has something that will change gaming next-gen(i heard something about them researching gyroscopes or something)....and sony/ms have just done the same old "graphical upgrade" routine.

these companies should be thinking outside the box NOW rather then waiting for developers to tell them they can't go any higher with graphics.

.........?.
xenosomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2004, 07:14   #122
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

of course sony and ms are interested in pushing these things. nintendo is the company not interested in pushing the technology frontier. with this new release of systems and the next the graphical differences will be noticable and dont say they wont. there wont be as many jaggy lines, resolutions will get higher, shadding better, animations better. I agree that the law of diminishing returns will come into effect but only after say two or three or maybe even four generations of gaming consoles will that happen where the margins get smaller and smaller as it gets more and more complex.

who knows, maybe a few generations down the line it will become easier to produce the higher graphical games but things are only going to go up even when adjusted from nominal gains.

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2004, 07:24   #123
koolaidparty

I think we'll see companies take time and effort into these kinds of technologies. Down the road we'll see better, faster, more reliable products and they'll end up costing less but people will buy MORE of them; video cards - graphic components. But I think you have a point, there will be a few generations of consoles and gaming before we see these profound graphic and dynamic changes.
koolaidparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2004, 18:21   #124
devils night

I think there is some deadends already in game development but only right now see it with sports games sense the only good thing that will come from them will be good graphics. I hate how EA sport games are turning out with that stupid EAtrax thing and all the dramatic cutscenes when you do somthing good it just makes me stay away from there sport game altogether

Proud Winamp user since 1997
(Winamp 1.006)
devils night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2004, 21:50   #125
koolaidparty

Quote:
Originally posted by devils night
I think there is some deadends already in game development but only right now see it with sports games sense the only good thing that will come from them will be good graphics. I hate how EA sport games are turning out with that stupid EAtrax thing and all the dramatic cutscenes when you do somthing good it just makes me stay away from there sport game altogether
I think EA is the only pro-money company in the sports section looking to shell out games every 3 quarters. As for sports games, I think there are select companies. As for the Madden line up, I've been fairly content with them I haven't noticed real disgusting ideas from their dev. teams.

Let's hope the sports industry in gaming changes a little bit besides the low-end they've been traveling to lately.
Old 8th October 2004, 04:28   #126
severeon

Wink hmmm... 4.0Ghz

Quote:
You might just be exaggerating but people were talking about how 4ghz was just around the corner @ 2000. People, we still don't have 4.0 and its 2004. But who knows? We might make a breakthrough.
Uhh, www.alienware.com

look at their new ALX comps, they have a 4.01Ghz processing speed

EDIT: Ohh, graphics arent the only thing upgrades are needed for, you need the updates for content, gameplayablity, and with each update that any company makes whether it be sony's Cell, microsofts 3D ram, or nintendo's Frequancy storm (t'was a term my programming teacher through out, its nintendo's codename for their next-gen simulation device) we get closer to making itting at home the same thing as going to your girlfreinds house and having a good time on the town...

Its great and sad at the same time ya know?
severeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 10:50   #127
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Re: hmmm... 4.0Ghz

Quote:
Originally posted by severeon

EDIT: Ohh, graphics arent the only thing upgrades are needed for, you need the updates for content, gameplayablity, and with each update that any company makes whether it be sony's Cell, microsofts 3D ram, or nintendo's Frequancy storm (t'was a term my programming teacher through out, its nintendo's codename for their next-gen simulation device) we get closer to making itting at home the same thing as going to your girlfreinds house and having a good time on the town...

Its great and sad at the same time ya know? [/B]
Umm....So what's wrong with making videogames a social event at home?

Going out on the town can get old and its not always what it's cracked up to be. Besides, I think that your girl will love ya more if you spend time with her alone than trying to distract her with drinks at a bar.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2004, 00:41   #128
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Yeah she'll respect you for saving on the markup by getting her drunk at home.

I'm Back?
Old 12th October 2004, 01:22   #129
sgtfuzzbubble011

If you can get your girlfriend to play SoulCalibur II, and actually enjoy it... Then you've got yourself a keeper.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2004, 04:17   #130
devils night

Talking

If you guys actually have girlfriends I would be really surprised

(Winamp 1.006)
Old 12th October 2004, 04:39   #131
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Why have girlfriends. Having a girlfriend is a bad thing not a good thing. I have lady friends who would be angry if they heard me say I didn't have a girl friend.

I'm Back?
Old 12th October 2004, 08:41   #132
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

An ex of mine used to whip my arse on a regular basis playing Tekken III back on the PS1.

I used to take her upstairs after that and whip hers in return for her...
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2004, 01:28   #133
koolaidparty

Girlfriends?
Old 13th October 2004, 01:41   #134
TechBoy

Quote:
Originally posted by Myxomatosis
I agree. Doom3 has the insane setting which reccomends a videocard with 512 of video memory. That estimate for 7ghz processer and 3gbmemory cards is something I disagree on however. You might just be exaggerating but people were talking about how 4ghz was just around the corner @ 2000. People, we still don't have 4.0 and its 2004. But who knows? We might make a breakthrough.
You're just pulling dates out of your ass man. The 1GHz mark was reached in early 2000 and even then people were thinking that was an extreme amount that most people wouldn't need. Proof Here. Moore's law has slowed down to a certain degree, but don't expect it to stop anytime soon.

Also, DOOM 3's Ultimate setting the asks for a 512 mb card is nothing impressive. The only difference between that and the level right below it is that Ultimate doesn't use any sort of texture compression. Thus there's a major hit to performance in Ultimate mode but a hardly noticeable improvement in graphics. Not worth it IMO.

The biggest concern amongst industry people is that technology is growing too fast. Now consoles/PCs can support a model that's 10x more detailed which is good for consumers, but that also means much more work for the modelers, the animators, etc. John Carmack, while working on Doom 3, literaly had to predict the state of technology 3-4 years from when he started the project because if he begun making Doom 3 with "state-of-the-art" graphics at that time, by the time it would hit shelves years later, the game would be a laughingstock for looking so dated. Ultimately that means that game companies have to invest more time and money to make a game that pleases ever more jaded and "seen-it-all" gamers. Such an environment will make it tough for small game companies and developers who take risks. After all, why spend 3 years and millions of dollars on a new game that might become bargain bin in a month when we can just take an existing franchise, update the graphics a bit, change the story a tad, and call it a new game?

A pretty pessimistic outlook, I admit, but certainly not an impossible future, don't you think?
TechBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2004, 04:44   #135
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

What about developing content and engines sperately? I can think of a few examples where that has been done. What is wrong with consumers wanting the best? I think thats a pretty good idea for consumers to have dont you? I myself want the best graphics, I want the best sound, I want the best controls, I want a polished flawless product that gives me months of entertainment.

I'm Back?
Old 13th October 2004, 09:14   #136
Omega X
Forum King

That's what's wrong with PC gaming now. I don't necessarily want the game looking its best If the game ITSELF was good enough. Graphics dosen't drive everything. The game can look fantastic but if playability isn't there, then its just crap with a pretty face.

And people wonder why the hype behind pretty games die off so quickly...because its not a game, its a graphics fashion show.
Old 7th December 2004, 17:40   #137
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
Sony will use a Nvidia GPU in the PS3.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20078

more info..
http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=899

EfaustuS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2004, 23:57   #138
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

That will keep ati honest. Still IBM is making all three systems cpu's. For sony its IBM in conjunction with Toshiba.

I'm Back?
Old 12th December 2004, 03:46   #139
Omega X
Forum King

Well Xenon and Revolution are supposed to be using PowerPC based chips. The "Cell" is supposed to be something much different.
Old 12th December 2004, 12:05   #140
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Its a co-development between Sony IBM and Toshiba. Beyond that I don't know how it is architechturally different. I believe that the Revolution (I think that would be the GameCube2?) Will not be multi-core like the Xenon.

I'm Back?
Old 24th March 2005, 04:49   #141
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
This could be the design of the ps3 but... it probably is not.

who knows, anyways here it is
http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps2/games/news/43608.shtml

EfaustuS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2005, 22:24   #142
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

That is one ugly rendering.

I'm Back?
Old 24th March 2005, 23:15   #143
devils night

Man i hope that pic is a fake that console looks ugly. I bet Sony doesn't even have a shell for the PS3 yet

(Winamp 1.006)
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center