Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > Music O'Rama

View Poll Results: When Was Music At Its Peak?
I listen to specific bands / artists that still produce quality music. 3 23.08%
It still is going very strong 3 23.08%
00's 1 7.69%
90's 7 53.85%
80's 4 30.77%
70's 1 7.69%
60's 2 15.38%
Other (Please State) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th June 2003, 09:41   #1
apollos
Forum King

Musics Peak Time

When do you think music was at it's best, and quality music was being released? The reason I don't listen to the radio anymore or to much English music is because I feel that music has cheapened, there is a lot of talentless people flooding the charts as well as silly manufactured bands that last for 5 minutes then everyones forgets about them.

I would have to say the 80's and 90's up to about 95 brought the bulk of the music I consider as quality.

What do you think about sales slumps? Are sales falling for the reason of music being so crap now or is it due to piracy?

Try not to have a debate about the RIAA, the point of the thread is to share your views on when you feel music was at it's best and why.

Thanks
apollos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2003, 10:00   #2
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

I have to agree in part, the 80's and early 90's produced some memorable artists/music.

However, I would also say that the 60's provided a huge influence on modern day music, the 60's, and to some extent the 50's, were pivotal times in the music industry, the world was coming out of two world wars, things were on the up,things were, oh I'm not sure of the word here, aaaaaah....."breaking out of the mould" , or something like that.

It is a testament to the longevity of the music of the 60's that a great deal of it can still be listened to today without inducing intense finger wringing and cringing all around, I hear stuff from the 70's and 80's now and I just colour up and hide, ashamed that I used to think that it was the coolest thing since sliced bread.

For example, I put a Beatles CD on, everyone will know the words off at least one track on the disc, I put a Osmonds CD on and most people would leave the room

Please note that isn't a generalised viewpoint I'm expressing here, 60's good / 70's bad, each era has it's share of great stuff against mediocre stuff, but for me the 60's is the bigger influence, and probably more memorable era.

As for sales slumps, in my case it would definately be down to on line availability of stuff, coupled with over the top pricing, I've certainly downloaded more stuff over the last 3 years or so than I would have ever bought in the shops, no don't ask me how much I've bought in the last 3 years *innocent whistle*
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2003, 10:08   #3
apollos
Forum King

lol Jones. I agree about the 60's, as well as the 70's, but I think that the 70's gave it's fair share of music that was modernised and re-released.

And watching Top Of The Pops 2 just makes me laugh sometimes, not just at the songs, but at the clothes. Ahhhh, the periods in time I am truelly ignorant too
Old 11th June 2003, 15:54   #4
Joel
Debian user
(Forum King)

In Latin coutries, the music of the 80's rock was the
really edge of music, so I vote for the 80's and 70's...
Those types of music never will be the same...
Rockon....

* PC: Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM: Archlinux-i686 with MATE.
* Laptop: Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 @ 2.20 GHz with 4 GB RAM: Archlinux-x86-64 with MATE.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2003, 05:24   #5
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

60's.

Mainly because I like almost everything, but it seems that after the 60's things got REALLY technological and less talent was needed to sell an album.

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2003, 16:54   #6
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

Every decade brings something good to music.
Some decades aren't quite as good as others, but nonetheless.

I agree the mid to late 60's were incredible.
So much new music, new sounds, new adventures.
Things were changing for everyone, rock music,
soul music, blues, jazz...everybody...well almost.
You saw the beginnings of the infusion of different music styles too.
Rock and opera, rock and jazz, rock and blues, rock and folk,
and so on.
You had wah wah peddles and fuzz boxes (Hendrix)
You had the introduction of synthesizers(Mile Oldfield, Pink Floyd,
Tangerine Dream)
Bands started using orchestras (Moody Blues)
Bands started using horn sections (Blood Sweat & Tears, Chicago)
Bands went to India for that sound (The Beatles)
Bands went to the blues (Canned Heat and John Lee Hooker)
You had the first Rock Opera (The Who's "Tommy")
Artists mixed rock and folk music (Bob Dylan, Donovan)
All this was new stuff back then.
Yep...good times!
papadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2003, 21:03   #7
apollos
Forum King

Nicely put Papadoc
Old 19th June 2003, 11:13   #8
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

Apollos, I agree with your opening statement 100%. The 80's produced consistenly good music (much of it in the charts). 89 - 95 was a golden age for indie ('91 being my fave).

But as you said, after '95 it just collapsed.

I attribute this to the media (NME being the main culprit) for band assassination and also the labels for axing bands that didn't line their pockets consistently.

I don't know about you but it seems 95% of good music these days comes from outside Britain. I'm particularly fond of electroclash now - with Ladytron being the only UK act (and they're only part British).

p2p is much needed now. There's no point popping down to HMV.

Secret Snacker & Accomplished Pen Thief At:
Cylob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2003, 21:39   #9
Atolibus

Send a message via ICQ to Atolibus Send a message via AIM to Atolibus Send a message via Yahoo to Atolibus
I'd have to say the 90's - both good and bad. We saw some of the greatest albums of all time then - Metallica's famous Black album, KoRn's self titled, Green Day, Sublime, and of course the ill master himself - Slim Shady, Mr. Marshall Mathers, _Eminem_ (I could go on, but I won't). And then again, we also saw the death of Napster, and the beginning of the decay of freedoms, which I personally think started with the RIAA - the bastards!

"Don't fear the reaper."
Atolibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2003, 21:40   #10
Atolibus

Send a message via ICQ to Atolibus Send a message via AIM to Atolibus Send a message via Yahoo to Atolibus
(Of course, my memory is a bit hazy on that part, and Napster I think went in late 2000 to mid 2001... my bad, all ) *Reminds himself why he should take up thinking as a hobby*

"Don't fear the reaper."
Atolibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > Music O'Rama