Sony PSP 4 19.05%
DS and PSP will each find their niches, split about 50/50 8 38.10%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th August 2004, 13:23   #1
bits
Banned

Discusion on handhelds

Take 1 on the Nokia Ngage: failure
Take 2: failure again? I'm guessing so - look at Sega. Even making a stellar new system (dreamcast) couldn't bring their console market back to life, I think nokia has the same fate.

The DS - a bit on the gimicky side, but much more far reaching than their virtua boy. Depending on the price I really think this one could go places.

The PSP - seems to have a lot of backing, quite a few good games coming it's way. More technically proficient than the DS, but then, it hasn't been the first to look better than nintendo's latest gameboy on paper.
bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 13:31   #2
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

The DS also has massive backing from software houses, the list of games that will be available for it is quite good.

The PSP also looks good, but what is it other than a portable PS2?, is there any inovation in it?

People will blindly buy it thats's for sure for the sake of it having the sony name on it, wether it lasts the test of time like the gameboy brand is unknown.

ngage?, nah, no comment
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 18:20   #3
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
DS = People who actualy play games.
PSP = Bought by people who bought the NGage, in an attempt to stop people laughing at them. Or People who want a portable PS2.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2004, 17:36   #4
sgtfuzzbubble011

The DS is where it's at. There won't be any load times because the media is cartridge based. The battery life will undoubtedly be longer because there's no disc drive to run. It's backward compatible with GBA games. It has wireless connectivity built in. It has a built-in microphone and VR. Dual screens with individual processors give developers lots of new ways for innovative gameplay. The lower screen is touch sensitive. The flip top design will protect the screens when it's in your pocket so they won't get scratched up. Plus, if I recall, it's supposed to be about a hundred bucks cheaper than the PSP.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2004, 18:23   #5
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

And it makes your toast, don't forget that sarge...
Old 15th August 2004, 19:04   #6
sgtfuzzbubble011

Fucking pwn.
Old 15th August 2004, 21:40   #7
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Ngage a failure? I hadly think so. It did was it was designed to do.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2004, 22:34   #8
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins
Ngage a failure? I hadly think so. It did was it was designed to do.
Yeah, but what exactly was it designed to do?

Play games?
Play MP3?
Make phone calls?
Make toast?

Problem was it tried to do too much at the same time, every heard the expression too many cooks spoil the broth?

The fact Nokia felt the need to redesign and relaunch less than a year after the first one came out should ring alarm bells with anyone buying a ngage now.
Old 16th August 2004, 00:12   #9
Bilbo Baggins

But it was designed to do all that, and it did it, so it was a success.

It didnt do them that well granted, but it still did them.
Old 16th August 2004, 00:54   #10
sgtfuzzbubble011

I think what determines whether or not a product is a succes are the sales figures. Personally, I've never been too keen on "jack of all trades" gadgets and devices except for certain things. For me, portable gaming systems need to be just that... gaming systems. Nothing more.
Old 16th August 2004, 05:38   #11
LawnGnome2005
Major Dude

The PSP is as gimmicky as the DS. Sony plans to release movies and music videos on UMD just for PSP. Who is gonna buy a $20 movie they can only watch on their PSP?

LawnGnome2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2004, 08:57   #12
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins
But it was designed to do all that, and it did it, so it was a success.

It didnt do them that well granted, but it still did them.
Just because it can do them, dosn't make it a success, more a proof of concept that worked, as you point out in your second statement, it didn't do them well, so in that respect it's a failure.

If someone designs a car that runs a million miles on a tank of fuel, but only does so because it runs at 5 miles an hour who would buy that?, yes it does what it's advertised as doing, but no one buys it because of it's shortcomings.

So as a proof of concept it works, as a commercial sucess it's a failure.
Old 28th August 2004, 09:51   #13
Starbucks
Forum King

If PSP is in the appropriate price range I may get it. There are a lot of titles that I like on the ogininal PSOne that Sony promises will go to PSP. I have about 100 PSone games that I still enjoy today. Even though it's an old system and it's games do not offer the latest superb graphics I still love it's games. FF III, FF VII, Enhandler, just to list a few.

Don't by into any ofthe hype (good or bad) about any system. It's all about what games you like to play and what system lets you play it. In my case, PSP just fits. I can care less about any of the other functions it comes with.
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2004, 07:44   #14
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Well yeah its about the games but its hard to play the games when the little drive and power hungry vpu drains your batterys before you can get anywhere. I hope the PSP and DS have sufficently good battery life and not the way the game gear did it.

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2004, 16:44   #15
sgtfuzzbubble011

I'd be willing to bet that the DS will have good battery life considering it's got solid-state media. Not so sure about the PSP though, since it's got a disc drive to run.
Old 29th August 2004, 19:59   #16
toejam07

Not that I'm even planning on buying a PSP, but do keep in mind that Sony sells CD Walkmans that get 40 hours of playing time from a pair of alkaline AA's.
Old 29th August 2004, 22:34   #17
sgtfuzzbubble011

Yes, but do those cd players have to pump power to graphics processors?
Old 30th August 2004, 00:05   #18
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

I just hope they have raised the game on battery life for the DS.

If you get on average 10 hours or so on a regular GBAsp with the light on, what's it's gonna be with two larger back lit screens running, along with whatever other gubbins they might cram into the case like bluetooth recievers etc etc.

I really don't want 5 hours life span on my battery and be having to charge it up every night or something.
Old 30th August 2004, 01:27   #19
xenosomething
Major Dude

the psp is going to be very fragile....and i bet the the first shipments will be defective like the ps2 was.

"UMD READ ERROR"

.........?.
xenosomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2004, 23:37   #20
Bilbo Baggins

I bet it doesnt.
Old 30th August 2004, 23:40   #21
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

It's tradition, Sony has never managed a launch that has been a sucess from the start, the PS2 was APAAAAAAAAAAAALINGLY bad, PS1 had it's fair share of problem, fuck even the walkman had issues 20 years ago or whenever it was.
Old 31st August 2004, 06:37   #22
PAK-9
Major Dude

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
The DS will be a really solid handheld... we're talking about a company that has being doing handhelds (and doing them RIGHT) for years. The only thing I would say in favours of the PSP is that Nin-do always do rather cutesey cuddly wholesome games, whereas you tend to get a more adult experience on a Sony device. A small point perhaps, but content is 90% of what decides a console's success.

http://PAK-9.deviantart.com

...innit
PAK-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2004, 11:04   #23
mysterious_w
Forum King

The DS should win, I want the DS to win so much, but all the nobs who bought a PS2 just to run over hookers in GTA will do it again for the PSP.

mysterious_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2004, 03:41   #24
PAK-9
Major Dude

Strange opinion for a guy with a street-fighter avatar

...innit
Old 1st September 2004, 11:06   #25
mysterious_w
Forum King

Not really, I just think it would be a shame if Ninty went the way Sega did, it's the only real games company left in the console race now.

mysterious_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2004, 02:02   #26
toejam07

Quote:
Yes, but do those cd players have to pump power to graphics processors?
No, but I would think that maybe Sony could manage something like 10 hours of battery life for the PSP if they can manage 40 for a CD player. I could be wrong, though, and honestly don't really care anyway.

DS will win, hands down. I'm sure Nintendo has figured out a way to extend battery life. Also, at E3, the Vice President of Something or Another at Nintendo stressed Nintendo's focus on pleasing all gamers, offering things older people will be interested in, such as the next Zelda game, not that the "kiddie" games weren't, for the most part, enjoyable games themselves. As long as it is a fun game, I really don't care if its "kiddie" or not.
Old 2nd September 2004, 08:54   #27
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Nintendo is to gimiky for their own good. They tie in all these peripherals into games saying it will better improve the gaming experience but instead it better lines their pockets while taking the focus out of the game. The only good exceptions i could think of are the fishing dream cast controller and the zapper.

Which gets me thinking, when are they going to remake duck hunt?

I'm Back?
Old 3rd September 2004, 05:27   #28
bits
Banned

assuming the touch screen is on the bottom one (the 'menu' screen I guess) I can see it being useful to an extent. Instead of cycling thru the menu items with down and up you just touch one. The other features, well it all depends on how far reaching the wireless thing is. All the fun of playing multiplayer without the damn cords. Not that I did all that much multiplayer tho...
Old 3rd September 2004, 05:35   #29
PAK-9
Major Dude

Personally I'd be happier if they didnt add gimmiky features like touchscreen and just concentrated on making it more powerful and less expensive. For what they are they are too damn expensive, especially since the games are pretty pricey too.

Of course you could always get a blank rom and download all your games. Not that I would....just, yunno...saying.

...innit
Old 3rd September 2004, 05:51   #30
bits
Banned

as much as they liked to deny it, the DS is an upgrade to the SP. The same way nintendo phased out the original gameboy for the gb color, the gb color for the gb advance, they'll do the same with the sp. Granted, this is all way far off in the future, but it will happen.

Anyone see the new Zelda - the Minish Cap? wheeee... can't wait.
Old 3rd September 2004, 07:39   #31
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
??? Why is the N-Gage on the list?? That thing is a joke....

The fact is, Nintendo will retain most of the handheld market simply because of their sucessful track record in that area. The PSP will gain some growth because its an alternative and because of all of the usual fan market.

By the looks of the DS handheld, It is about the same size as the original GBA. The battery life should be somewhat better because of the usual advancement of their cartridge technology. Plus its backwards compatible with the awesome GBA library so 3rd parties can continue to rake in the rewards of developing for SP.

To make a long post short, Because of backwards compatability alone, Nintendo will come out on top. Just look at the PS2, don't think that people bought it simply because it used a DVD drive to run games. In the eyes of consumers, it was an upgrade.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2004, 13:32   #32
bits
Banned

oh cool. I head rumors of the release of the original Zelda but didn't think I'd actually see it anytime soon.

The crappiness of the original carts, by the way, is partially due to the fact that they are so old. I actually vividly remember getting Zelda for the original NES for my 9th birthday. It wasn't brand spanking new at the time (think it had been out for 2 years or so) but it was still great. I played it all the way through without having any problems saving... however 3 or 4 years later when I tried replaying through it, the carts kept on erasing the saved file.

You know what's freaky? I was recently playing thru Super Mario World (for the SNES) and I still remember almost every secret in the entire game. Talking about Zelda, the locations of the dungeons, secrets, and faeries are slowly coming back to me. I can't remember what teachers say in class 10 minutes after they say it, yet I remember every single step to beat a game I haven't played or even really thought about in 8 years.
Old 3rd September 2004, 18:06   #33
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

its a priority thing. what is more important and/or interesting? your teachers lecture or ZELDA!?

minish cap wtf?

i hope the ds does wireless well, and i think that extra screen will help out rpg fans more than anyone else. maybe race games too.

I'm Back?
Old 3rd September 2004, 20:55   #34
toejam07

Quote:
Originally posted by bits
as much as they liked to deny it, the DS is an upgrade to the SP. The same way nintendo phased out the original gameboy for the gb color, the gb color for the gb advance, they'll do the same with the sp. Granted, this is all way far off in the future, but it will happen.
This may confirm your hypothesis.
Old 4th September 2004, 00:52   #35
bits
Banned

heh, 2 1/2 hours isn't long enough for LOTR However, on handhelds there's a lot that we still don't know yet. I won't bash the PSP or the DS until I've actually cradled them in my hands and seen how they feel/work. One thing I didn't like about the Gamegear (which was the same era as the gameboy pocket / gameboy color I think) was that while it was technologically superior to the gameboy (had a full color screen) was that it felt less solid, like it would break if you dropped it once. I hope the psp feels a bit more solid than this.

The gamegear had the sonic games, but besides that not much. It almost gave gameboy a run for it's money.
Old 4th September 2004, 21:37   #36
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

I have a gamegear. that God awful beast would devour like 8 batteries for a measly hour and a half of play. all the games i played for it seemed to be really really hard (like bastard hard or ass hard). i could never get past the first endurance match in mortal kombat(212V^). i lent it to my sister and, like everything else, she kept it for way too long (like years too long). when i finally mustered the the "feelow" to beg for it back, she had already broke it or something. (this sadend poor omit) the display is completely dark (even after tweeking the contrast) and the speaker doesnt work. it now lies under the tv in my dads room in one of the many baskets of "stuff" my mom has lying around; in a little plastic baggy hopeing that someday science will be advanced enough to bring it with renued fire from its resting place.

yes this was a meaningless expression but what more is anything of the things you hold so dear than just another meaningless expression. *gasp that should be my signature.

this useless tid bit brought to you by toilet paper
>>> "i think t.p. is just about dandy" -Omit

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2004, 05:21   #37
bits
Banned

ya I remember reading that sony and nintendo were gonna cut a deal, I actually think it was going to be a disk-drive add on for the snes (kinda like the sega cd), but negotiations went awry and sony decided to strike out on their own.

the console world would of been one heck of a different place.

Oh, and that Go Go chick... man she freaked me out. With her spiked ball and chain, and especially when she 'penetraded' the guy in the bar.... <shudders>
Old 5th September 2004, 06:43   #38
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

They were going to cut a deal. That was how Playstation was born. That is why the PS1 controller is very much like the SNES controller.

I'm Back?
Old 5th September 2004, 07:36   #39
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

One question: Why do they call it a "Universal Media Disc" if it only plays in PSPs?

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2004, 09:20   #40
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Because the format can house movies music and games?

I'm Back?
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center