Old 10th May 2005, 23:27   #1
valeriee

i can't install wanamp 5.09

i have douwnload the newest version of wonamp for my sister computer. i have dial up internet so it tka e 40 min. and when it's finish and i want to install it i have this message

the installer your are triyng to use is corrupted or incomplete. this could be the result of a damaged disk, a failed download or a virus.

you may want contact the author of the installer to obtain a new copy.

so i put in on the garbage, erase all temp and cookie
and redownload for 40 min... result... te same thing

i can not have a virus tis a new computer i instaal it yesterday... please help me ...
i don't want an oder music program
valeriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2005, 23:38   #2
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Corrupt Download of Winamp Installer

When trying to install winamp, you may get an error message about a corrupt installer. The error message that you recieve will contain text similar to this

"The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete.This could be the result of a damaged disk,a failed download or a virus."

There are a few things that can cause this problem and the error message itself gives us clues to some of them.

First of all, the only place that you should download the installers from is http://www.winamp.com. Third party sites may not have working versions of the software.

The most likely cause is the "failed download". One of the ways a download can fail is if it is stopped and then restarted, using a download manager program for example. One of the purposes of a download accelerator is restarting a download if your internet connection goes down (this is very useful for dialup users). However, this type of program can corrupt files you download. If you have a download accelerator, please disable it and try downloading Winamp again.

The next step is to try clearing your Temporary Internet Files. Temporary internet files are used to make web pages load faster by storing information on your hard disk from sites you visit on the internet. This can cause a download to fail if you started it in the past and are trying again. To clear your temporary internet file:

In Internet Explorer - Go to Tools -> Internet Options and in the general tab under the temporary internet files section click on the "Delete Files" button.
In AOL - Go to the settings tab in the main toolbar and then click on "Preferences". Click on "Internet Properties (WWW)" to open the internet options box.

The next thing to check is if you are using Internet Explorer combined with Windows Service Pack 2. To check to see if you have Service Pack 2 installed, right click the "My Computer" icon on your desktop and select "Properties". Go to the tab that says "General" and it will tell you if Service Pack 2 is installed. If it is, and you are using Internet Explorer, this may be the cause of your problem. You should try using another web browser like Mozilla Firefox to download the installer.

If all of the above fail, you might unfortunately have a computer virus. To find out, run an onlince virus scan from one of the sites listed below. You should run the online virus scan even if you have a virus scanning program on your computer because some viruses can damage antivirus software.

TrendMicro Housecall
Panda ActiveScan
Symantec Security Check

If after trying all of the above, you still cannot get the installer to work correctly, then please reply with system specifications and a HijackThis log.

Instructions for using HijackThis:
Use Winzip or a similar program to unzip the contents of hijackthis.zip to a permanent folder. Double click on the Hijack This icon inside that folder and wait for the program to start. Press the "Scan" Button and after it finishes, press the "Save Log" button and attach the saved log in your next reply. Do NOT use the "Fix Checked" button as fixing the wrong items can cause serious damage to your computer.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2005, 10:43   #3
machtia

I am having a very similar problem. The download said it would take about 40 minutes, as I am also on dialup. However, after just a minute or two the it said the download was complete. However, the file is only about 70kb, so it is really just a failed download.

I cleared my temporary internet files, and scanned for viruses, and the same thing happened again. I also tried downloading the intstaller with both internet explorer (service pack 4) and firefox.

My system info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Version 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name MATT
System Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model VT82C694X
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~930 Mhz
BIOS Version Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Windows Directory C:\WINNT
Locale United States
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 523,760 KB
Available Physical Memory 273,140 KB
Total Virtual Memory 1,801,928 KB
Available Virtual Memory 1,259,556 KB
Page File Space 1,278,168 KB
Attached Files
File Type: zip hijackthislog.zip (2.1 KB, 201 views)
machtia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2005, 12:16   #4
ujay
Forum King

In addition to k_rock's instructions run the following programs to clean up any spy/adware that may be interfering with your internet access.

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3
and
Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition 1.05

Best to wait and let someone like DJEgg advise on the HJT Log :

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Trickler] "c:\documents and settings\matt\local settings\temp\fsg_4203.exe"

looks dodgey as it's running from your Temp Folder.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2005, 13:11   #5
model-behavior

Send a message via ICQ to model-behavior
Hi Winamp Peoples!

You need to check your site. Your Winamp 5.09 is not there. That is why the file reads as corrupted, failed download or incomplete. The file only downloads as a 252k file and downloads in 1 second on my computer.

Don't send users on a wild-goose chase without checking to see whether or not it's your problem first.

We are downloading from the Winamp site and you are not providing more than 5% of the 5.09 file. LOL.
model-behavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2005, 13:13   #6
mikm
Major Dude

I just downloaded it and it was the right size.