Old 28th March 2008, 23:28   #1
ju___ta

Can winamp play dts files?

Hello

I have a quad dts music album on HDD in wav format.

Can I play it with Winamp?
(now there is just an hiss)

With some other software?

Or to convert into any other format?

Thanks
ju___ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 04:33   #2
RSIBNL

Send a message via Yahoo to RSIBNL
Yes, it can. And some other software can too (PowerDVD XP with the DTS decoder option or VLC media player).

Par example, VLC media player has native support for DTS encoded CD/DVD. If you want to use VLC you have to create an audio CD from that .wav. Of course, you'll create an image first (.nrg, .iso, etc.) for testing. Mount it, open it and if it works burn it on a CD (with some .cue file support if you want).

But since we are in Winamp forum... So, first download and install ffdshow with "decode DTS audio" option selected.
Then in "Winamp Preferences -> Plug-ins -> Input -> Nullsoft DirectShow Decoder" add "dts" in the extension list.
But before you open the audio file with Winamp change its extension from .wav to .dts.

I guess that's it.

Last but not least: don't forget to buy the album
RSIBNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2008, 23:27   #3
MrGneissGuy

Quote:
Originally posted by RSIBNL
Yes, it can. And some other software can too (PowerDVD XP with the DTS decoder option or VLC media player).

Par example, VLC media player has native support for DTS encoded CD/DVD. If you want to use VLC you have to create an audio CD from that .wav. Of course, you'll create an image first (.nrg, .iso, etc.) for testing. Mount it, open it and if it works burn it on a CD (with some .cue file support if you want).

But since we are in Winamp forum... So, first download and install ffdshow with "decode DTS audio" option selected.
Then in "Winamp Preferences -> Plug-ins -> Input -> Nullsoft DirectShow Decoder" add "dts" in the extension list.
But before you open the audio file with Winamp change its extension from .wav to .dts.

I guess that's it.

Thanks for your help RSIBNL, but I still have a problem. The Music is playing at an accelerated speed, not real time. It plays in vlc perfectly, but not in winamp :\
MrGneissGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 05:24   #4
RSIBNL

to MrGneissGuy

Do you hear any sound?
Old 3rd June 2008, 10:56   #5
MrGneissGuy

yes, it's music and not static.

I just noticed something, winamp reads the dts track length as half of what it really is. Is there some setting that I need to change to fix this?
Old 3rd June 2008, 23:00   #6
RSIBNL

First, open ffdshow audio decoder configuration ("All programs -> ffdshow") and make sure that none of the filters is selected (in the right) then in the Output section click Reset. Now try listen the .dts file again.

videolan.org point to swedish radio website (ageteateap://www.sr.se/multikanal/english/e_index.stm) where you will find .dts files to test if yours still doesn't work.

Last edited by RSIBNL; 3rd June 2008 at 23:19.
Old 19th June 2008, 05:19   #7
MrGneissGuy

OK, when I posted I was using winampAC3, not direct show. Now I have enabled the direct show filter for DTS files and am using the libdts decoder. But now instead of the 2x speed with winampac3, it won't play at all. It can't even read the file length.

OK, i tested with one of the DTS files from the site you provided. It didn't play on directshow either, but it did play with winampac3.
Old 12th January 2010, 15:41   #8
ju___ta

Quote:
Originally posted by RSIBNL

A good idea, while I see I have already ffdshow installed it still doesn't support dts. So I need to download and install with dts option enabled - but where can I download a correct ffdshow version? Can't find one on winamp site.

Tia
ju___ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support