Old 2nd August 2003, 02:26   #1
Raz
Forum King

Plaigiarism?

What do you think of plaigiarism of other peoples work?

I know that direct plaigiarism is just disgraceful and shown no originality or talent but what if they use, say an idea or a certain part of an idea to start something of their own? Is that counted as plaigiarism? What actually constitutes plaigiarism and where do we draw the line?

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2003, 12:24   #2
mark
Forum King

look at thsi image i made

nah, plagism bad. just ask bush!
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2003, 07:03   #3
DragonSon
Fears the boots
Forum King

Re: Plaigiarism?

Quote:
Originally posted by Raz
I know that direct plaigiarism is just disgraceful and shown no originality or talent but what if they use, say an idea or a certain part of an idea to start something of their own? Is that counted as plaigiarism? What actually constitutes plaigiarism and where do we draw the line?
Plaigiarism is ANYTHING that you take from someone else's work that you don't give any credit for. So, even if you take an idea or a certain part of that idea, you are still plagirising that person because you didn't come up with the idea yourself.
DragonSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2003, 11:34   #4
mark
Forum King

dont steal dm's, movements or superscopes in avs!

dont rip skins!
Old 6th August 2003, 00:28   #5
anubis2003
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to anubis2003
The hardest thing to prove about plagiarism of ideas is to show that they took that idea from that other person, and didn't happen to just come up with the same idea. But in a way, everybody plagiarizes everyday. For example, the concept of addition was originally conceived by some guy a long time ago, but whenever people add numbers, they never give credit to that guy. He should sue.
anubis2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2003, 02:08   #6
White Raven
Little Winged One

I write fanfics, but I still consider them highly original. A really good example is Codename: Fox. If you've seen Escaflowne, go read it. I think you'll find I haven't ripped anyone off, just made an original story, in my opinion as the writer.

(Note: The 'fic isn't finished so there's none of that legal crap in there. When it is done, at the bottom of the .doc file in size 9 Arial Narrow you will find all the legal 'All characters, names, and related indicia are trademarks of Bandai Visual and Sunrise blah blah blah with the exceptions of the original characters copyright blah blah blah...')

I have had my artwork plagiarized before -- it is not a nice feeling, especially when I had to assrape the fucker's site to get it off his server. (All I did was remove my pictures, I touched nothing else.) I had sent the fucker at least 4 e-mails, 2 weeks apart each, that I wanted him to give me credit for my artwork. All of them were polite, and devoid of all swears and such.

I have nothing against people displaying my written works or drawn works, just as long as they give me some mention. When they don't, I find that highly offensive and I needless to say let them know about it and take action if necessary. I am quite sure now that I would have taken the fucker to court if he'd ripped me off again.

Plagiarizers piss me off.
Go 'fic writers!

just as feathery as ever | portfolio | a poignant quote
White Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2003, 03:23   #7
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

there are many things inspired by older versions. O brother Where Art Thou (a movie) was based on The Odessy by Homer.

Clerks is based on the Divine Trilogy.

etc.

Life revolves. As long as it's not obvious or word for word, it's okay. Plus, you have to give credit. Writing is no fun if it's not original.

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2003, 06:13   #8
caitcid

Plaigiarism is just plain evil..I hope I don't become a victim of it.. (I draw and write stories).
caitcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2003, 10:02   #9
mark
Forum King

did you know that this has a thread id of 14444?
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Arts and Design